Contribute
Register

[Guide] High Sierra on Asus Z-170, RX Vega 64

Did this guide work for you?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just downloaded Chrome did some amazon browsing and played a movie, experience is just as normal.

Had to download Atom twice, first time I gave me a message that it was broken and to move it to trash. Downloaded it again and started right up. As far as testing I don't know **** about coding so...it created new file fine and made 3 lines of random letters. :)

I can't test Netflix as I don't have subscription :/
Wow, you’re awesome. Thanks so much for testing all of that. If you’re willing to test Netflix on Safari, PM me and I’ll give you my login details to try tomorrow.

I finally decided to signup and update to Beta 10.13.2 and that worked (30 minutes now).

Sorry off topic but what is the correct procedure for installing the beta from main.. got to the part where it downloads and reboots the update partition but then I get restarts at the apple logo?

Had to update Lilu.kext on my end and was able to continue.

I've since switched back as the boot times were slow and sleep wasn't working. I'm still doing testing.

@dashingncool the strange thing is when i reinstalled 10.13.1 (3rd time now) my Vega is working without the patch & imac 19,1 value.

Last edited:
Had to update Lilu.kext on my end and was able to continue.
I've since switched back as the boot times were slow and sleep wasn't working. I'm still doing testing.

Thanks - managed to install after updating Lilu.kext. Can confirm Chrome and Discord now working without issue.
Vega fan is running noticeably higher at idle though - any ideas? btw my boot time seems fine.

More testing done yesterday:

1. Successful clean install on MSI X99A SLI Plus + 5820k + Vega 64, everything except Photos and USB write speeds is working. Since the result was the same I switched back to the Gigabyte board.

2. On the Gigabyte board I did successful clean install 13.1 with just FakeSMC, InjectATI, npc=0c2000, darkwake=0 (no other patches or kexts) and everything works except USB3 and Photos.

3. Added back the Kets and patches for USB3 but my write speeds are still poor.

4. Installed the beta on second drive and yes boot times got better, maybe something in my config was wrong. Unfortunately I can't open 13.2 photos library with 13.1 Photos app.

Thanks - managed to install after updating Lilu.kext. Can confirm Chrome and Discord now working without issue.
Vega fan is running noticeably higher at idle though - any ideas? btw my boot time seems fine.

Actually, I find it odd for Vega to be that quiet in 13.1 (if you have dual boot see what kind of hurricane she is).
Does sleep work on your beta install? I can decide which one I want: Sleep (13.1) vs Photos (13.2 dp4).

Back to Beta as Creative Cloud library crashes my system in 13.1.

Last edited:
Managed to follow your guide, everything seems to be working great except for FCP.
If anyone here is using a Vega card and happens to use FCP, could you share you BruceX results? It seems like my card is not being completely used since my BruceX took around 35 seconds to export. Besides, FCP performance is very poor during editing, making it almost mandatory to use proxy, which I thought should not be the case with this card.
The thing is that I get around 22k in LuxMark, so the GPU is fully recognised by the OS, the problem seems to be with FCP.

I'm running High Sierra, tried with beta software but same performance
sad.png

Managed to follow your guide, everything seems to be working great except for FCP.
If anyone here is using a Vega card and happens to use FCP, could you share you BruceX results? It seems like my card is not being completely used since my BruceX took around 35 seconds to export. Besides, FCP performance is very poor during editing, making it almost mandatory to use proxy, which I thought should not be the case with this card.
The thing is that I get around 22k in LuxMark, so the GPU is fully recognised by the OS, the problem seems to be with FCP.

I'm running High Sierra, tried with beta software but same performance
sad.png

Took me 15.17s on Vega 56 (V64 bios) / stock i7 6700K (10.13.2 Beta (17C79a))

More testing done yesterday:

1. Successful clean install on MSI X99A SLI Plus + 5820k + Vega 64, everything except Photos and USB write speeds is working. Since the result was the same I switched back to the Gigabyte board.

2. On the Gigabyte board I did successful clean install 13.1 with just FakeSMC, InjectATI, npc=0c2000, darkwake=0 (no other patches or kexts) and everything works except USB3 and Photos.

3. Added back the Kets and patches for USB3 but my write speeds are still poor.

4. Installed the beta on second drive and yes boot times got better, maybe something in my config was wrong. Unfortunately I can't open 13.2 photos library with 13.1 Photos app.

Actually, I find it odd for Vega to be that quiet in 13.1 (if you have dual boot see what kind of hurricane she is).
Does sleep work on your beta install? I can decide which one I want: Sleep (13.1) vs Photos (13.2 dp4).

Back to Beta as Creative Cloud library crashes my system in 13.1.

Sleep isn't working for me in beta (wasn't that great in main either tbh). Fan speed is definitely way above normal idle speed that I have in Windows. Agree under load it is a bit crazy normally but this is at idle - any way we can control that?

Took me 15.17s on Vega 56 (V64 bios) / stock i7 6700K (10.13.2 Beta (17C79a))
Have you tried using FCP for 4k editing? Is the timeline's playback smooth or does it shutter? I think my problem is with FCP itself, not just this test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back