Contribute
Register

[Guide] High Sierra on Asus Z-170, RX Vega 64

Did this guide work for you?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
My XFX Vega 56 shows up as a 64 for some reason. Didn't realize that until now.
Have you flashed yours to RX64? It may be an issue with Whatevergreen. What you can do is check which kext and device ID is getting loaded in your system report and then check the plist of that kext. Let me know what you find.

Have you flashed yours to RX64? It may be an issue with Whatevergreen. What you can do is check which kext and device ID is getting loaded in your system report and then check the plist of that kext. Let me know what you find.

No I haven't flashed mine to RX64 at this time. Looks like the DeviceID is 0x687 and I'm not sure how to locate which kext is running. I did use your initial EFi folder so that might have something to do with it. I'm not to worried about it though because both of my monitors are working, Bluetooth is up and running, and iMessages works as well. Chrome isn't crashing on me but I haven't tried Slack or Discord yet. Other than that, I'm stoked so far. Thanks for your guide!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-11-02 at 12.50.48 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-11-02 at 12.50.48 AM.png
    115.3 KB · Views: 290
Thank you for this guide!
I was able to solve my 5k issue (running 2DP) + 2 monitors. Although I want to point out that I am able to dual boot from clover and manual bios boot selection with CSM Disabled. Also able to boot with CSM Video driver in driver64UEFI folder with only difference is the size of text in verbose mode being extra large with it!

My system work flawlessly so far. Sleep/Wake, Audio, Handoff, bluetooth, Wifi, iCloud/iMessage/FaceTime.
I haven't tested Chrome or any other apps suffering from Vegas acceleration.

Update: Spoke too early :(. Phots app freezes my computer. I believe its has something to do with my large cloud library as a lot of real mac owners has addressed issues with the app under High Sierra.

i7 5820k
GA X99 Gaming Ultra
16GB RAM
Saphire Radeon Vega 64
Samsung 960 Evo NVMe
OSXWIFI
27" Dell 5k monitor + 2x24" 1080p LG

I have a couple of questions. Hopefully, you won't mind much.
1. Are chrome and the other apps you mentioned glitch and causing you issues? Have you found a fix?
2. Will I have to make SMBIOS changes to make the graphics card work? Currently, I am on iMac 17.1?

Only if you need to use Second or Third Display port, I wouldn't bother if you're using single monitor.
I was able to make the SMBIOS changes and reapply my old (ElCapitan) Serial and other setting to get iMessage running from the get-go.

Last edited:
Thank you for this guide!
I was able to solve my 5k issue (running 2DP) + 2 monitors. Although I want to point out that I am able to dual boot from clover and manual bios boot selection with CSM Disabled. Also able to boot with CSM Video driver in driver64UEFI folder with only difference is the size of text in verbose mode being extra large with it!

My system work flawlessly so far. Sleep/Wake, Audio, Handoff, bluetooth, Wifi, iCloud/iMessage/FaceTime.
I haven't tested Chrome or any other apps suffering from Vegas acceleration.

Update: Spoke too early :(. Phots app freezes my computer. I believe its has something to do with my large cloud library as a lot of real mac owners has addressed issues with the app under High Sierra.

i7 5820k
GA X99 Gaming Ultra
16GB RAM
Saphire Radeon Vega 64
Samsung 960 Evo NVMe
OSXWIFI
27" Dell 5k monitor + 2x24" 1080p LG

Only if you need to use Second or Third Display port, I wouldn't bother if you're using single monitor.
I was able to make the SMBIOS changes and reapply my old (ElCapitan) Serial and other setting to get iMessage running from the get-go.
Check if your GPU lights are all red. I have a big library (I think it is big haha) of about 490 Gigs. Photos was slow while syncing. But it didn't crash my system.

Also, you are right about being able to boot with CSM driver. However the CSM must be disabled in the BIOS at least in my case.

I have a couple of questions. Hopefully, you won't mind much.
1. Are chrome and the other apps you mentioned glitch and causing you issues? Have you found a fix?
2. Will I have to make SMBIOS changes to make the graphics card work? Currently, I am on iMac 17.1?

Thanks,

@dashingncool

1. No fix so far other than disabling the GPU acceleration for those apps :(.

2. Same as what drevan said

Check if your GPU lights are all red. I have a big library (I think it is big haha) of about 490 Gigs. Photos was slow while syncing. But it didn't crash my system.

Ha, mine is merely 105GB.
I did a little research and found other users having the same issue with Phots and it relates to RAM frequencies on GA boards. I have an MSI board to test and/or GTX 1060...it will be a fun night tonight.

Also, you are right about being able to boot with CSM driver. However the CSM must be disabled in the BIOS at least in my case.

Correct CSM must be disabled.

Just want to update on my issue with Photos App:
Yes GPU light light up within 5-10 second of opening Photos and the entire system hangs.
Ive tested it with My MSI MB and GTX 1060 with different Ram configurations, multiple EFIs, even bought new i7-6800k but Photos crash within 10 seconds. Also tried multiple or brand new library but to no avail.

I finally decided to signup and update to Beta 10.13.2 and that worked (30 minutes now).
Also all DP+HDMI ports are working without any patches, monitor gets recognized as 5k.
This time it feels as the Vega works 100% OOB apart from needing WhateverGreen to fix "RX xxx 8GB".
The only thing I had to update is Lilu.kext to get it installed.

Just want to update on my issue with Photos App:
Yes GPU light light up within 5-10 second of opening Photos and the entire system hangs.
Ive tested it with My MSI MB and GTX 1060 with different Ram configurations, multiple EFIs, even bought new i7-6800k but Photos crash within 10 seconds. Also tried multiple or brand new library but to no avail.

I finally decided to signup and update to Beta 10.13.2 and that worked (30 minutes now).
Also all DP+HDMI ports are working without any patches, monitor gets recognized as 5k.
This time it feels as the Vega works 100% OOB apart from needing WhateverGreen to fix "RX xxx 8GB".
The only thing I had to update is Lilu.kext to get it installed.
This is great news. Can you confirm that Chrome works and perhaps even Electron apps? (I rely on Atom to code and I plan on buying a Vega.)

Any luck with Netflix on Safari now?

This is great news. Can you confirm that Chrome works and perhaps even Electron apps? (I rely on Atom to code and I plan on buying a Vega.)

Any luck with Netflix on Safari now?

Just downloaded Chrome did some amazon browsing and played a movie, experience is just as normal.

Had to download Atom twice, first time I gave me a message that it was broken and to move it to trash. Downloaded it again and started right up. As far as testing I don't know **** about coding so...it created new file fine and made 3 lines of random letters. :)

I can't test Netflix as I don't have subscription :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back