Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Haswell System - MacOS Monterey 12.0.1 OC 0.7.5

Don't use it, so no idea.

Currently running Big Sur 11.6.6

Going to Software Update says, "Your Mac is up to date"

Going to the App Store and attempting to download Monterey gets me "The requested version of macOS is not available.

Clover 5.22.0.0 says I currently have iMac15,1 which has worked for many many years now. I think 15,1 is no longer supported after BigSur. how do I change this without having iMessage, etc issues later?

How do I get Monteray to install without starting from scratch?

How do I get Monteray to install without starting from scratch?
7 easy steps to upgrade from Clover/Big Sur to OpenCore/Monterey

1. Make a bootable backup of your current install. At least have a Time Machine backup if not a bootable backup.

2. Sign out of all Apple services.

3. Put this EFI 0.7.9 OC EFI on a MacOS extended journaled GUID partitioned (Test USB) flash drive's EFI partition. It's best that you've added your current SmUUID to that config.plist. Reset NVRAM from the OpenCore GUI. Then try booting from it into Big Sur.

4. If it works, back up your existing Clover EFI folder somewhere off of your current build's drive. Replace the existing EFI on your boot drive with the one from above post by Edhawk. The one that's already on your Test USB.

5. Use this link to download Monterey: https://swcdn.apple.com/content/dow...1eau4b7z3oa4bc1ogs2jw23p/InstallAssistant.pkg

6. Unpack it with an app like The Unarchiver and leave the installer in Applications. Double click the installer and proceed as you normally would for an upgrade to a new macOS version. Will take some time and a fair number of reboots.

7. Generate all your Serials for iMac17,1 with OCAT or GenSMBIOS. Here's a video. Use iMac17,1 instead of 15,1.

Reboot and try signing in with your Apple ID, try out Messages and Facetime.

You're now on Monterey 12.4. With a completely "new" iMac 17,1 and you're using the OpenCore bootloader. Congrats. Note that you may want to use your old USB ports kext if you have customized it for your specific PC case's ports.

Last edited:
You're now on Monterey 12.4. With a completely "new" iMac 17,1 and you're using the OpenCore bootloader. Congrats. Note that you may want to use your old USB ports kext if you have customized it for your specific PC case's ports.
Just remember to edit the USBPorts.kext/Contents/Info.plist to reflect/match the new iMac17,1 SMBIOS, otherwise it won't work.

since my High Sierra sytems only boots into black screen now, even in secure mode, I wonder if I try a install from scratch with monterey.

I just bought a Gigabyte 6600 XT, do you think your guide will also work for my X99 motherboard?

(im a total noob sorry)

No, the X99 motherboard is a completely different animal and requires a lot more fixes, patches and customisation compared to my Haswell Desktop system.

This is the definitive guide to running macOS on an X99 system. Bit old now, set to use Mojave, and uses Clover not OpenCore but it is probably the best guide you will find.

7 easy steps to upgrade from Clover/Big Sur to OpenCore/Monterey

1. Make a bootable backup of your current install. At least have a Time Machine backup if not a bootable backup.

2. Sign out of all Apple services.

3. Put this EFI 0.7.9 OC EFI on a MacOS extended journaled GUID partitioned (Test USB) flash drive's EFI partition. It's best that you've added your current SmUUID to that config.plist. Reset NVRAM from the OpenCore GUI. Then try booting from it into Big Sur.

4. If it works, back up your existing Clover EFI folder somewhere off of your current build's drive. Replace the existing EFI on your boot drive with the one from above post by Edhawk. The one that's already on your Test USB.

5. Use this link to download Monterey: https://swcdn.apple.com/content/dow...1eau4b7z3oa4bc1ogs2jw23p/InstallAssistant.pkg

6. Unpack it with an app like The Unarchiver and leave the installer in Applications. Double click the installer and proceed as you normally would for an upgrade to a new macOS version. Will take some time and a fair number of reboots.

7. Generate all your Serials for iMac17,1 with OCAT or GenSMBIOS. Here's a video. Use iMac17,1 instead of 15,1.

Reboot and try signing in with your Apple ID, try out Messages and Facetime.

I'm just now getting around to working on this again. Currently still running Clover. Is switching to OpenCore a prerequisite? Or can I do this still using Clover? If OpenCore is required, is THIS guide a good one to follow to switch to OC?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Currently still running Clover. Is switching to OpenCore a prerequisite? Or can I do this still using Clover?
You can use the latest Clover version with Monterey. Choice is up to you. I've never used it with either Big Sur or Monterey. If you want to switch to OpenCore, I'd say do a clean install and don't try the conversion method. Follow Edhawk's guide in post #1 of this thread. You can modify his EFI here:https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ey-12-0-1-oc-0-7-5.317413/page-5#post-2316392 to your specific needs.

You can use the latest Clover version with Monterey. Choice is up to you. I've never used it with either Big Sur or Monterey. If you want to switch to OpenCore, I'd say do a clean install and don't try the conversion method. Follow Edhawk's guide in post #1 of this thread. You can modify his EFI to your specific needs.
I'm running on iMac15,1. Do simply switch to 17,1 in Clover (signing out of all apple of coarse first) and reboot to be able to upgrade to Monteray?

Do simply switch to 17,1 in Clover (signing out of all apple of coarse first) and reboot to be able to upgrade to Monteray?
No, not that simple. The newest version of Clover has many parts of OC included in it. You'd have to completely check all the quirks etc. to make the upgraded Clover EFI version work with your build. What version of Clover are you on now ?

Here's the newest Clover release. https://github.com/CloverHackyColor/CloverBootloader/releases You'd need to upgrade your Clover to this first, change the SMBIOS to 17,1 and generate your new serials before upgrading to Monterey. It's always best to test out the USB flash drive with the latest Clover first, before you upgrade.

Last edited:
Back