Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] General Framebuffer Patching Guide (HDMI Black Screen Problem)

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
MacBook Air, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Quadra
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hi again,

This is my resume:

I have one HDMI and one VGA connector. With default config.plist I can connect HDMI or VGA on monitor with 1920x1080, 7MB video ram, no acceleration. I tested all device-id and ig-platform-id possible combination, but no acceleration. Only config_good.plist file give me GPU info, but IntelGen: ??? and no red row connectors, but ig-platform-id is 0x59120000 (this config file I picked up from user on this forum). In clover boot, I see Intel device ID: 3E92, my S/L/E/AppleIntelCFLGraphicsFramebuffer.kext device-id shows: 0x3E9B8086 0x3EA58086 0x3E928086 0x3E918086.

Any help is welcome. Thanks
There are many errors and omissions in your config.plist. It may take several iterations to get your system configured properly. Let's start like this:
  • Install latest Lilu and WhateverGreen to your /Library/Extensions folder by following the kext installation guide located here. Pay special attention to Step 7.
  • Replace your config.plist with the attached version (rename the attached file to config.plist).
  • This config.plist uses platform ID 0x3E9B0007 and injects graphics properties using WhateverGreen instead of Clover. All EDID injections and KabyLake driver patches have been removed or disabled. This file does not use KabyLake at all.
  • This file also applies the connector patch based on Gigabyte H310M, which also has a VGA port and HDMI port. But there's no guarantee that these settings are correct for your motherboard. This is just a start, and it may cause one or both video ports to go blank. If that happens, let me know and we'll try different settings.
  • It adds several ACPI patches (SAT0 to SATA, HDAS to HDEF, etc.) that should help with additional driver fixes.
  • It enables "verbose" mode so you will a lot of log messages during boot and shutdown. Once things are working we can turn this off, but for now keep this on.

Attachments

Motherboard
Asus Prime B360M-A
CPU
i5-8500
Graphics
UHD 630
Mobile Phone
Android
CaseySJ, wado729,
Using ig-platform-id 0x3E9B0007 changed nothing.
My BusID for HDMI is 0x02, and for DVI is 0x04. The other values are incompatible at all.
After booting with HDMI and DVI cables plugged in I have DVI-monitor black and distorted Mac Screen on HDMI TV.

UPD: In case when both DVI and HDMI are connected, but TV is in standby mode, I can boot with my DVI monitor working. Then if I turn my TV on, everything works fine. Cheers !

Attachments

Last edited:

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
MacBook Air, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Quadra
Mobile Phone
iOS
CaseySJ, wado729,
Using ig-platform-id 0x3E9B0007 changed nothing.
My BusID for HDMI is 0x02, and for DVI is 0x04. The other values are incompatible at all.
After booting with HDMI and DVI cables plugged in I have DVI-monitor black and distorted Mac Screen on HDMI TV.
Please try the attached config.plist.
  • Add a serial number to the SMBIOS section first.
  • Rename file to config.plist and try it.
Modifications made:
  • Added "-disablegfxfirmware" flag to boot arguments.
  • Replaced "-debug 0x100" with "debug 0x100".
  • Added "dart=0" to deal with VT-d issues.
  • Disabled the AGDP patches and the 10.13 USB port limit patch (because you're running 10.14).
These changes by themselves may not remedy the problem, but they should be done nevertheless in order to minimize distractions that could impact the final solution (i.e. start with a cleaner baseline).

Attachments

Motherboard
Asus Prime B360M-A
CPU
i5-8500
Graphics
UHD 630
Mobile Phone
Android
Thanks, I'll try it tomorrow.

Motherboard
HP 290 G2 Microtower - H370
CPU
i5-8500
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
iMac, MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
iOS
There are many errors and omissions in your config.plist. It may take several iterations to get your system configured properly. Let's start like this:
  • Install latest Lilu and WhateverGreen to your /Library/Extensions folder by following the kext installation guide located here. Pay special attention to Step 7.
  • Replace your config.plist with the attached version (rename the attached file to config.plist).
  • This config.plist uses platform ID 0x3E9B0007 and injects graphics properties using WhateverGreen instead of Clover. All EDID injections and KabyLake driver patches have been removed or disabled. This file does not use KabyLake at all.
  • This file also applies the connector patch based on Gigabyte H310M, which also has a VGA port and HDMI port. But there's no guarantee that these settings are correct for your motherboard. This is just a start, and it may cause one or both video ports to go blank. If that happens, let me know and we'll try different settings.
  • It adds several ACPI patches (SAT0 to SATA, HDAS to HDEF, etc.) that should help with additional driver fixes.
  • It enables "verbose" mode so you will a lot of log messages during boot and shutdown. Once things are working we can turn this off, but for now keep this on.
Ok, this is what I have got... Lilu and WhateverGreen are installed, rebuild cache, kext-dev-mode=1

Does message "Warning: /AppleInternal/Library/Extensions: no such file or directory" mean that kexts from L/E couldn't load? Last two images are my L/E and CLOVER/kexts/Other folders.

Attachments

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte X299X Designare 10G
CPU
i9-10900X
Graphics
RX 5500 XT
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
eMac, iBook, iMac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
Android
Have you tried the Asus TUF Z390M-Pro Gaming configuration from the first post? It's below:
Index 2, BusID 0x02, Type HDMI (physical port is DVI)
Index 3, BusID 0x04, Type HDMI
Index 1, BusID 0x01, Type DP
There is no DVI in this board, so there is only two display outputs, I think I tried the config, but didn't manage too far, so I did my own thing.

I will give it another try just to make sure.

Motherboard
Asus Maximus IX Hero
CPU
Intel Core i7 7700-K
Graphics
Intel HD 630
Short question, can this fix my problem gettin Multiscreens to work?
I use my iGPU (i7 7700k HD630), first Output is my main Monitor (DisplayPort) and second output my second screen (HDMI). If i turn the second monitor on my screen gettin just black.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
MacBook Air, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Quadra
Mobile Phone
iOS
Ok, this is what I have got... Lilu and WhateverGreen are installed, rebuild cache, kext-dev-mode=1

Does message "Warning: /AppleInternal/Library/Extensions: no such file or directory" mean that kexts from L/E couldn't load? Last two images are my L/E and CLOVER/kexts/Other folders.
Thank you for posting the detailed set of images. Apologies for the late reply. I must admit it is often more difficult to install and configure macOS on embedded motherboards rather than retail motherboards.

In the EFI/CLOVER/misc folder of your USB install disk should be a file called debug.log. Can you please upload that?

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
MacBook Air, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Quadra
Mobile Phone
iOS
Short question, can this fix my problem gettin Multiscreens to work?
I use my iGPU (i7 7700k HD630), first Output is my main Monitor (DisplayPort) and second output my second screen (HDMI). If i turn the second monitor on my screen gettin just black.
Yes, the purpose of this guide is to help you enable HDMI on your internal GPU (without disabling any other video ports). So you should then be able to use DP and HDMI to drive 2 monitors.

Motherboard
HP 290 G2 Microtower - H370
CPU
i5-8500
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
iMac, MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
iOS
Thank you for posting the detailed set of images. Apologies for the late reply. I must admit it is often more difficult to install and configure macOS on embedded motherboards rather than retail motherboards.

In the EFI/CLOVER/misc folder of your USB install disk should be a file called debug.log. Can you please upload that?
OK, debug.log is attached.
Note: I made new config.info file today and tested, but when I came to login screen, my USB ports don't work (keyboard and mouse don't respond). I couldn't find what is going wrong. Clover configurator is set default AAPL,ig-platform-id to <0000923e>, but I couldn't test further because of USB ports.

Attachments