Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] General Framebuffer Patching Guide (HDMI Black Screen Problem)

Motherboard
HP 290 G2 Microtower - H370
CPU
i5-8500
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
iMac, MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
iOS
You entered the device-id incorrectly in Clover Configurator --> Devices --> Properties. Instead of "0x3E920000" you must enter it in reverse-byte order as "0x923E0000".

I've made this and other changes in the attached file. Please give it a try.
With this config file I've got same kernel panic like in this post of mine.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Air, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Quadra
Mobile Phone
iOS
I have no HDMI monitor available. What is the difference between HDMI monitor and TV, which works as monitor ?
Is there any options to set my DVI monitor to work as primary and TV as secondary screen ?
I'm not sure what you mean by Primary and Secondary, but if you open the Displays panel from System Preferences, you can rearrange multiple monitors. If you look carefully, one of the monitors in this multi-monitor arrangement page will have a white bar along the top, which is the Menu Bar. You can drag just this white bar to another monitor. Whichever monitor contains the white bar is the "primary".

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Air, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Quadra
Mobile Phone
iOS
With this config file I've got same kernel panic like in this post of mine.
In order to activate your iGPU, you must specify the Device-ID to 0x3E9B or 0x3E92. There are 2 ways to do so:
  • Using CLOVER:
    • Add "0x3E928086" or "0x3E9B0007" to "IntelGFX" in Clover Configurator --> Devices.
    • Check on "Inject Intel" in Clover Configurator --> Graphics.
  • Using WhateverGreen and Lilu:
    • Remove the above 2 items.
    • Add "framebuffer-patch-enable", "AAPL,ig-platform-id", and "device-id" to Clover Configurator --> Devices --> Properties.
    • Set DVMT-Prealloc to 64MB or higher.
If both methods fail with macOS 10.14.3 (or 10.14.4) then your options become significantly limited and it may better to try using a discrete graphics card like AMD Radeon RX 570.

Motherboard
Asus Prime B360M-A
CPU
i5-8500
Graphics
UHD 630
Mobile Phone
Android
I'm not sure what you mean by Primary and Secondary, but if you open the Displays panel from System Preferences, you can rearrange multiple monitors. If you look carefully, one of the monitors in this multi-monitor arrangement page will have a white bar along the top, which is the Menu Bar. You can drag just this white bar to another monitor. Whichever monitor contains the white bar is the "primary".
Sorry. I thought, that "primary" is the one, which has property "AAPL,boot-display"
By the way. My hack boots with only HDMI TV working and there is distorted screen for a while, then it turns black and then it works as usual. If hack goes into sleep mode, then after wake both HDMI and DVI are working.

Attachments

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Air, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Quadra
Mobile Phone
iOS
Sorry. I thought, that "primary" is the one, which has property "AAPL,boot-display"
I haven't paid much attention to that parameter. That might be based on either the Multi-Monitor Display Setting or a BIOS setting. On Gigabyte motherboards, for example, we have:
  • Initial Display Output
This can be set to:
  • IGFX
  • PCIe Slot 1
  • PCIe Slot 2
  • PCIe Slot 3

Motherboard
Asus Prime B360M-A
CPU
i5-8500
Graphics
UHD 630
Mobile Phone
Android
I haven't paid much attention to that parameter. That might be based on either the Multi-Monitor Display Setting or a BIOS setting. On Gigabyte motherboards, for example, we have:
  • Initial Display Output
This can be set to:
  • IGFX
  • PCIe Slot 1
  • PCIe Slot 2
  • PCIe Slot 3
As I said, there's a quite strange situation, when my hack boots and what happens after awaking (on fresh boot with both connectors plugged DVI is black, HDMI TV working and there is distorted screen for a while, then it turns black and then it works as usual. If hack goes into sleep mode, then after wake both HDMI and DVI are both working.)

Attachments

Last edited:
Motherboard
CPU
i5-8500
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
iMac, MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
iOS
In order to activate your iGPU, you must specify the Device-ID to 0x3E9B or 0x3E92. There are 2 ways to do so:
  • Using CLOVER:
    • Add "0x3E928086" or "0x3E9B0007" to "IntelGFX" in Clover Configurator --> Devices.
    • Check on "Inject Intel" in Clover Configurator --> Graphics.
  • Using WhateverGreen and Lilu:
    • Remove the above 2 items.
    • Add "framebuffer-patch-enable", "AAPL,ig-platform-id", and "device-id" to Clover Configurator --> Devices --> Properties.
    • Set DVMT-Prealloc to 64MB or higher.
If both methods fail with macOS 10.14.3 (or 10.14.4) then your options become significantly limited and it may better to try using a discrete graphics card like AMD Radeon RX 570.
Thanks @CaseySJ! I added DVMT-Prealloc and now my HDMI and VGA ports stop working on boot, like Preflight Checklist says in post #1. Now I need external GPU, but I don't have any eGPU... Do I have to try some of compilation patches from post #1 or what? I tested Gigabyte H310M (only HDMI and VGA, like my Mobo) and result is same. I attached my config file with DVMT-Prealloc.

Attachments

Last edited:

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Air, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Quadra
Mobile Phone
iOS
Thanks @CaseySJ! I added DVMT-Prealloc and now my HDMI and VGA ports stop working on boot, like Preflight Checklist says in post #1. Now I need external GPU, but I don't have any eGPU... Do I have to try some of compilation patches from post #1 or what? I tested Gigabyte H310M (only HDMI and VGA, like my Mobo) and result is same. I attached my config file with DVMT-Prealloc.
Please try the attached config.plist (rename the file) by copying it to the EFI partition of your Mojave SSD. You should, of course, backup the current config.plist.

This version only enables DP/VGA ports on your motherboard. So please try connecting VGA port only. The BusIDs for Indexes 1, 2, and 3 may need to be modified, so there's no guarantee this will work.

Also run IORegistryExplorer and select File --> Save As... and upload the saved IOReg file.

Attachments

Motherboard
CPU
i5-8500
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
iMac, MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
iOS
Please try the attached config.plist (rename the file) by copying it to the EFI partition of your Mojave SSD. You should, of course, backup the current config.plist.

This version only enables DP/VGA ports on your motherboard. So please try connecting VGA port only. The BusIDs for Indexes 1, 2, and 3 may need to be modified, so there's no guarantee this will work.

Also run IORegistryExplorer and select File --> Save As... and upload the saved IOReg file.
This config file doesn't work. IOReg file is attached (I made IOReg file with boot Mac OS with install USB and default config file).

Attachments

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Air, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Quadra
Mobile Phone
iOS
This config file doesn't work. IOReg file is attached (I made IOReg file with boot Mac OS with install USB and default config file).
I'm afraid my batting average on this motherboard is low and getting lower! :) It seems to defy all known conventions! At this point your judgment is better than mine on how to proceed. Please experiment with various settings; search this site and others for possible hints.

Also have a look at the posts earlier in this thread by @Pulento, who also faced a very unusual situation: