Contribute
Register

GUIDE: GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 UEFI BIOS - ALL WORKING, DSDT not required!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've a 10.8 install running well with F10, but I would like to switch to UEFI.

You'll probably need to keep most of the kexts but to bypass the loading of the DSDT you can use DSDT=/dev/null at the boot loader. Once you have confirmed that it works as expected then you can delete or rename the /Extra/DSDT.aml file.

(1) I choose the legacy USB option in unibeast 1.5.2 USB for installation
(2) in multibeast 4.6.1, I do not check the IOUSBFamily.kext option, all the USB drivers come with the OS X 10.8 app, so far no problem
(3) do not use USB 3.0 port to install the OS

Hey, many thanks for the hints,
I made new Unibeast ML installation with legacy USB option and simply copied its IOUSBFamily.kext it over to /S/L/E and it almost works fine.

It boots only with -f switch, that is. I have tried removing and re-creating kernel cache with kextcache.sh:

sudo kextcache -v 1 -a i386 -a x86_64 -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions
sudo kextcache -v 1 -a i386 -a x86_64 -m /Extra/Extensions.mkext /Extra/Extensions

and repairing permissions with DiskUtility but without success. If I boot up using cache ML will freeze as soon as I start typing on USB keyboard.

I hope someone can shed some light on this one. What would be a proper way of re-creating kernel cache in ML?

Thanks!

P.S. org.chameleon.Boot.plist's UseKernelCache=No and -f in Kernel Flags won't work, only supplying -f at boot screen boots up properly...

Hey, many thanks for the hints,
I made new Unibeast ML installation with legacy USB option and simply copied its IOUSBFamily.kext it over to /S/L/E and it almost works fine.

It boots only with -f switch, that is. I have tried removing and re-creating kernel cache with kextcache.sh:

sudo kextcache -v 1 -a i386 -a x86_64 -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions
sudo kextcache -v 1 -a i386 -a x86_64 -m /Extra/Extensions.mkext /Extra/Extensions

and repairing permissions with DiskUtility but without success. If I boot up using cache ML will freeze as soon as I start typing on USB keyboard.

I hope someone can shed some light on this one. What would be a proper way of re-creating kernel cache in ML?

Thanks!

P.S. org.chameleon.Boot.plist's UseKernelCache=No and -f in Kernel Flags won't work, only supplying -f at boot screen boots up properly...

rebuild the kernel cache

sudo -s (your password)

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions
chmod -R go=u-w /System/Library/Extensions

rm -rf /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup

kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
kextcache -system-caches

exit

I am preparing to follow this guide since I have not been able to get the install working using TonyMac's guide. I have a few questions before I begin though.

1. Since I will be using a dedicated gigabyte radeon 6850 once I finish the install, will I need to change the internal graphics memory to 1024 once I complete the install and plug in my gpu?

2. Should I choose the ATI Radeon option under FakeSMS in Multibeast?

3. Since I will be using my dedicated graphics, should I choose Mac Pro 3,1 instead of mac mini?

Thank you for the awesome guide!

I am preparing to follow this guide since I have not been able to get the install working using TonyMac's guide. I have a few questions before I begin though.

1. Since I will be using a dedicated gigabyte radeon 6850 once I finish the install, will I need to change the internal graphics memory to 1024 once I complete the install and plug in my gpu?

2. Should I choose the ATI Radeon option under FakeSMS in Multibeast?

3. Since I will be using my dedicated graphics, should I choose Mac Pro 3,1 instead of mac mini?

Thank you for the awesome guide!

1. I assume that you will be using dedicate graphic for your display (set that in BIOS), then it doesn't matter, right ? For my case, I have HD6880 but need to enable the internal graphic for airplay and airplay mirroring. Therefore, I set the internal GPU to enable and leave it at 512. It works ok for me.

2. I think that option is for the HWmonitor software so my guess is that you don't need to.

3. Other people choose Mac pro 3.1 for three or more monitors (I guess) but my system works great with Mac mini (again , I need HD3000 for airplay and mirroring)

Thanks for the quick reply ttb1263!!!!

And by enable that in bios do you mean leave it on 512mb for internal graphics for the install, and then change it after everything is up and running and then install my gpu? And installing as a mac mini will not hinder any performance?

Thanks,

Clayton:D

Thanks for the quick reply ttb1263!!!!

And by enable that in bios do you mean leave it on 512mb for internal graphics for the install, and then change it after everything is up and running and then install my gpu? And installing as a mac mini will not hinder any performance?

Thanks,

Clayton:D

YES .... based on my experience setting up my system. As CPU stock speed and using MAC mini, my GeekBench Score was around 12,900. About 500 higher than it was in Lion. However, I overclocked it to 4.2 GHZ but the score about 600 lower than previous in Lion. Switching from Mac Mini to Mac Pro 3.1 should be easy enough to do, so you can try it and let us know how it goes :)

By following the guide to install, I assume your system BIOS is upgraded to UEFI and you do have a flash drive with ML on it using unitbeast. To summarize, you would need:

1. Enable the integrated card (HD3000) in bios (Use the bitmap provided by memmerson guide as guideline) and shutdown your machine.

2. Take out the HD6850 card.

3. Use the guide from memmerson to install ML using flash drive created using unibeast.

4. Boot unibeast , choose newly installed ML partition and install multibeast. Again use memerson

5. Shutdown computer. Insert HD6850 card into system.

6. Boot into BIOS and change the graphic setting to use HD6850. Save and restart.

7. Boot directly into ML drive.

You should be able to login and see everything is working (hopefully ;-) )

You can also find lots of info and solutions that can be very useful for your setup in this thread.

Good luck !!!!

Thank you so much ttb1263!!!!!

Once I get my bios changes, I will try this.

Thanks,

Clayton :D

Ok, once I put my gigabyte 6850 and my 16 GBs of ram and change the internal graphics to 1024mb instead of 512mb in the bios, whenever I boot using the hdmi output of my gpu, the spinning logo will keep spinning and the OS will not boot. It will boot whenever I boot into GraphicsEnabler=No , but I would like to have full graphics enabled and a full resolution. Any ideas on how I can fix this?

Other than that, this guide was AMAZING!!!! This was the first of many guides and many attempts that ML has been able to boot without the flash drive. Once I get the graphics worked out, I think I'll tackle HDMI audio :D, but until then

Thank you so much!

Ok, once I put my gigabyte 6850 and my 16 GBs of ram and change the internal graphics to 1024mb instead of 512mb in the bios, whenever I boot using the hdmi output of my gpu, the spinning logo will keep spinning and the OS will not boot. It will boot whenever I boot into GraphicsEnabler=No , but I would like to have full graphics enabled and a full resolution. Any ideas on how I can fix this?

Other than that, this guide was AMAZING!!!! This was the first of many guides and many attempts that ML has been able to boot without the flash drive. Once I get the graphics worked out, I think I'll tackle HDMI audio :D, but until then

Thank you so much!

Glad to hear that you made some progress !!!

I have Saphire 6870 and use DVI for connection, so my system configuration is not exactly the same as yours. However, I played around with org.chameleon.Boot.plist file to get my system to work. What you should do is asking someone who has the same GPU and ask him/her to post the file. There are also threads in TonyMac with people who got the ML working with HD6850. Maybe you can read through and find out what works for you.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...mountain-lion-6xxx-gpu-issues-fix-inside.html

http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...x-ud2h-b3-w-radeon-hd-6850-clean-install.html

You can also use my file as reference (see below).

Good Luck !!!

=========== org.chameleon.Boot.plist ============
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>npci=0x2000 darkwake=0</string>
<key>AtiConfig</key>
<string>Duckweed</string>