Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] El Capitan on the GA-Z170X-UD3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Drop these two kext files into EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other: Download

They work as a replacement for toledo's scripts, while also allowing audio after updates and reinstalls, so you will need a clean AppleHDA.kext (And also remove the kext that the script place in the clover folder).

AppleALC.kext and CodecCommander.kext from that zip work together (I'm not sure how) and enabled audio on boot, audio after sleep, and working front/back switching after sleep. This is without any of them being on the OS X partition.

Again I'm sorry for not having updated the primary guide, I have simply been too busy to update the guide, so these smaller updates in new comments are for people who know a bit more about hackintosh.

I already use AppleALC and CodecCommander, but I thought this last one need to be in SLE, or at least LE, to work.

OK, i'm going to try that...

BTW, there's a more recent release of CC (2.6.2), though i can't say it will work better.

It works! I will test it a few days...
Previously (CC in SLE), sometimes my hack won't fully sleep (the Power LED stays on), in that case, when I wake it up, audio no longer works through Internal Speakers (it does through HDMI).
Thanks for the tip.

El Capitan on the GA-Z170X-UD3

Setup USB

You can enable and disable USB ports by looking at these pictures and change the uia_exclude bootflag.
Just remember to have 15 or less ports enabled.

Hi cnrd,

Thank you so much for this very straightforward guide that is probably super helpful to those who have more experience. I'm a total Hackintosh noob. I'm finished with my El Capitan build with the same MB and graphics card as you. CPU is Intel 6700K, but it shouldn't matter for what I need help with.

My particular problem is only with my USB ports. I've figured out, according to the pictures, which ports I don't use, but I'm still not sure what exactly to do. As of right now, my rear USB 3.0 ports don't work at all, but the rear USB 2.0 ports do work. Only one of the two USB 3.0 ports (in the front of the case) works and the other USB 2.0 ports on the front only give power, but doesn't recognize my external hard drive. I haven't dealt with kexts or played around with Clover too much other than just setting the nvda_drv=1 bootflag and select SMBIOS. You said to "change the uia_exclude bootflag". Where would I do that? I'm sure it's such a stupid question for everyone here, but a nudge in the right direction would be awesome.

Separate question but related if the solution for the USB ports involves kexts: how are kexts installed? I think I understand that it helps to have an installer of some kind to install kexts.

Anyway, hope this isn't annoying to answer.

Thanks for all your hard work and the guide!

Hi cnrd,

Thank you so much for this very straightforward guide that is probably super helpful to those who have more experience. I'm a total Hackintosh noob. I'm finished with my El Capitan build with the same MB and graphics card as you. CPU is Intel 6700K, but it shouldn't matter for what I need help with.

My particular problem is only with my USB ports. I've figured out, according to the pictures, which ports I don't use, but I'm still not sure what exactly to do. As of right now, my rear USB 3.0 ports don't work at all, but the rear USB 2.0 ports do work. Only one of the two USB 3.0 ports (in the front of the case) works and the other USB 2.0 ports on the front only give power, but doesn't recognize my external hard drive. I haven't dealt with kexts or played around with Clover too much other than just setting the nvda_drv=1 bootflag and select SMBIOS. You said to "change the uia_exclude bootflag". Where would I do that? I'm sure it's such a stupid question for everyone here, but a nudge in the right direction would be awesome.

Separate question but related if the solution for the USB ports involves kexts: how are kexts installed? I think I understand that it helps to have an installer of some kind to install kexts.

Anyway, hope this isn't annoying to answer.

Thanks for all your hard work and the guide!

I think the easiest way to setup USB now may be to use cnrd's new method that generates SSDTs, you can download the script from here:

Download

Look back a page or so ago and he talks about how to use this. You pretty much just run the script and answer the questions. It will spit out some SSDT files that you can drop in your EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder (remove any existing USB related SSDTs in there if they exist). Using this method, you can remove the USBInjectAll.kext from your clover kext folder if you are using it.

To answer your other questions, you can change the bootflags in your clover config.plist. You should have a section that looks like this:

Code:
    <key>Boot</key>
    <dict>
        <key>Arguments</key>
        <string>darkwake=0 uia_exclude=HS01;HS02;HS07;HS08;HS11;HS12;SS01;SS02;SS09</string>

Just change that string to include the uia_exclude, etc. You can also change bootflags on the fly while in the clover boot menu.

An easy way to install kexts is to use tonymacx's kextbeast located here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/resources/kextbeast-2-0-1.310/

Kexts should be placed in /System/Library/Extensions/ or /Library/Extensions/ or /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/xxx

If placed in EFI, you don't need KextBeast or any special tools... Just copy or move the kext in the right kexts folder and restart.

However, some kexts don't work if placed in EFI...

Last edited:
I think the easiest way to setup USB now may be to use cnrd's new method that generates SSDTs, you can download the script from here:

Download

Look back a page or so ago and he talks about how to use this. You pretty much just run the script and answer the questions. It will spit out some SSDT files that you can drop in your EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder (remove any existing USB related SSDTs in there if they exist). Using this method, you can remove the USBInjectAll.kext from your clover kext folder if you are using it.

To answer your other questions, you can change the bootflags in your clover config.plist. You should have a section that looks like this:

Code:
    <key>Boot</key>
    <dict>
        <key>Arguments</key>
        <string>darkwake=0 uia_exclude=HS01;HS02;HS07;HS08;HS11;HS12;SS01;SS02;SS09</string>

Just change that string to include the uia_exclude, etc. You can also change bootflags on the fly while in the clover boot menu.

An easy way to install kexts is to use tonymacx's kextbeast located here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/resources/kextbeast-2-0-1.310/

Just a small note, you shouldn't use the uia_exclude flag with my USB script :)

Have anyone tested the USB script? Would be nice to know if it works for anyone other than me :)

EDIT: I just updated the main guide. I hope that I got all the changes covered in the new one.
NOTE: If you already have a working system, the new guide uses MacPro6,1 instead of iMac17,1 this is to prevent the black screen and background issues with Nvidia GPUs. You can do 2 things: Revert the SMBIOS or generate a serial, SmUUID, and MLB to get iMessage working.

Last edited:
Just a small note, you shouldn't use the uia_exclude flag with my USB script :)

Have anyone tested the USB script? Would be nice to know if it works for anyone other than me :)

EDIT: I just updated the main guide. I hope that I got all the changes covered in the new one.
NOTE: If you already have a working system, the new guide uses MacPro6,1 instead of iMac17,1 this is to prevent the black screen and background issues with Nvidia GPUs. You can do 2 things: Revert the SMBIOS or generate a serial, SmUUID, and MLB to get iMessage working.

I just tried to download the script, but the page wasn't found :(

The updated manual is great! Everything is working: motherboard audio + HDMI audio for dual monitors; graphic with full acceleration for dual monitors, LAN, sleep to memory or SSD, TRIM, CPU PWM, sensors, all necessary USB ports. Thank you, cnrd!
I just tried to download the script, but the page wasn't found :(

Never mind. I downloaded it from the original post. I was able to run the script and dropped the two .aml files into the ACPI/patched directory. However, where it says "Add the following to ACPI in your config.plist:" I'm not sure where to add it. Do I mount the EFI partition and open the config.plist in TextEdit and manually drop it into the middle of the text? I just don't want to mess anything up.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back