Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan on Acer S3-391 Ivy Bridge with Clover

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand your english and it's enough.
If you get a KP with my DSDTs I will tell you what to patch.
Yes, I have attached the kext that supports our wifi card! It has just been created by some guys in this thread.
View attachment 253446
You can have audio, wifi... of course, you have the kexts you need.

Power management is working, too!
View attachment 253447

I did the installation successfully. I am particularly pleased that Wifi works. I didn't have any problems when I was installing using your DSDT file. I just have a few problems. When devices in sleep mode, the device wakes up after a few seconds. Did you solve this? And the camera is not working. There are some troubles about the sound. There is no sound when the headset is plugged in and the sound comes out very low from own speaker. I think using AppleHDA is better way. I was getting better sound quality with AppleHDA while using el captain. Finally, the screen brightness is not set at all. I would be very grateful for your help all over again.
69zojN.png

Hello again. I created my own SSDT file, but the power management is not working properly. I think the problem is caused by DSDT. I am very happy if you write what patches you use. I want to create my own DSDT myself. What do you think why power management doesn't work?. My processor doesn't have the turbo fq feature by the way. Thank you. @skyfly555

Hello!

1-Audio: I tried to patch Audio as post #1 says, but it didn't work to me, for this reason, I tried other solutions, and, finally, with VoodHDA+ Clover HDMI Audio patch, I got sound. Maybe you can try to patch audio in the "El Capitan" way and look what happens to you. I'm not sure we have the same ALC269, because there are a lot of versions of ALC269.
DPCIManager says I have: 0x80861E20, 0x1025073A, 0x10EC0269, 0x0100, Realtek ALC269
Of course, if you do that, an audio works for you, I'd like to know what you did to get it done, so I can do the same, and get a better sound, too

2-Power Management: Can you try to create a new SSDT.aml in this way?
cd /Users/Your_Username/Library/ssdtPRGen/Data/
sudo nano Ivy\ Bridge.cfg
Ctrl+W --> Search 3317.
Change this line
i5-3317U,17,800,1700,2600,2,4
to this other one
i5-3317U,17,1200,1700,2600,2,4

I tried to get 0,8 GHZ of speed in my CPU (i5-3337U), because it's supposed we can, and it got stuck at 0,8 GHz. I need to set 1200 as the minimum freq to be able to have a variable freq on processor. With this change, I get from 1,2 GHz to 2,5 GHz, I've seen using "Intel Power Gadget".

3- DSDT.aml
Yes, I don't know why but during two days it seemed to sleep, but now it's not sleeping, so I have to recreate DSDT.aml.
When I have time, I'll do a new DSDT to be sure the patches I applied, and then I will tell you what I've done, ok? Now there are some patches applied for sleep issues that are not working. I realised yesterday, and I'm trying to get help in the S3 master thread.

4- Brightness.
Do you have the AppleBacklightInjector.kext into /Library/Extensions? Have you rebuild permissions/caches?
Please, can you go to System Preferences/Display and check if you have this slider?

If you have the slider, you can adjust brightness from there.
Please, check it. Maybe you don't have the ELAN trackpad/keyboard. Do you know that?

5-Camera: Ups! I never user it, and I forgot some people use it, and, so, I didn't say "camera doesn't work". I don't know how to solve this.

6- I have got bluetooth working, too. I realised I had an AR3012 in my S3, with idProd 0xe056 and idVend 0x489, so I checked a bluetooth firmware uploader adapted to it, and now my BT is working.

7- DSDT patches. Begin with #post 1 patches. I excluded the audio patches, included ther ACPIbrightness patch, the keyboard brightness patch... and other patches to try to solve the "instant wake" issue, but with no success.

So, in brief, can you try to solve the sleep issue? I can post bluetooth kext, and a new wifi kext with its new config.plist (with v9, no need to have "KextsToPatch" :)
But for the bluetooth I need to be sure what bluetooth you have. You can see that in DPCIManager or using IORegistryExplorer.

Last edited:
Hello again. I created my own SSDT file, but the power management is not working properly. I think the problem is caused by DSDT. I am very happy if you write what patches you use. I want to create my own DSDT myself. What do you think why power management doesn't work?. My processor doesn't have the turbo fq feature by the way. Thank you. @skyfly555

You have some answers to your questions in post #33.

I attach here a new DSDT.aml that enables sleep function. No more instant wake!
I attach my OEM DSDT.aml, if you want to compare it with the patched one or with your own DSDT.aml
Credits: Jake Lo.
Patches applied ("USB basic Sierra patches"): HPET, IRQ, Mutex, IMEI, MCHC, USB, PNOT, etc.

Attachments

• acer-s3-dsdt-jake-lo-and-origin.zip
    44.3 KB · Views: 134
You have some answers to your questions in post #33.

I attach here a new DSDT.aml that enables sleep function. No more instant wake!
I attach my OEM DSDT.aml, if you want to compare it with the patched one or with your own DSDT.aml
Credits: Jake Lo.
Patches applied ("USB basic Sierra patches"): HPET, IRQ, Mutex, IMEI, MCHC, USB, PNOT, etc.
With the new DSDT, the camera problem and the sleeping problem are resolved. Now it works fine in the camera. I suggest you check the camera. :)

1-Audio:
Named by Kidman shared the Apple HDA file he had patched on time under the main topic (page 11, Post 109) So we just have to edit the kext and patch part of the config file. But I don't know how to do. Link : View attachment v3_HP,Mic,Spkrs&HDMI_AppleHDA.kext.zip

2-Power Management:
What you have said in this regard is a little complicated and I can't understand much. My CPU 3217U. I created SSDT using SSDTPRGen and copied it to the required directory. But my cpu frequency is still fixed.

3- DSDT.aml
It is no longer a problem

4- Brightness.
I handle that.

5-Camera: İt's okey too.

6- Bluetooth
We have the same bluetooth chip. I checked.
P0gE9Q.png

7-Wifi
I am very happy to share it with the new wifi kext with config file. Because the wifi connection is interrupted rarely.
For now the only problem is that SSDT and WiFi connection are rarely interrupted. Thank you very much for your help. @skyfly555

Last edited:
Hello!

1-Audio: I tried to patch Audio as post #1 says, but it didn't work to me, for this reason, I tried other solutions, and, finally, with VoodHDA+ Clover HDMI Audio patch, I got sound. Maybe you can try to patch audio in the "El Capitan" way and look what happens to you. I'm not sure we have the same ALC269, because there are a lot of versions of ALC269.
DPCIManager says I have: 0x80861E20, 0x1025073A, 0x10EC0269, 0x0100, Realtek ALC269
Of course, if you do that, an audio works for you, I'd like to know what you did to get it done, so I can do the same, and get a better sound, too

2-Power Management: Can you try to create a new SSDT.aml in this way?
cd /Users/Your_Username/Library/ssdtPRGen/Data/
sudo nano Ivy\ Bridge.cfg
Ctrl+W --> Search 3317.
Change this line
i5-3317U,17,800,1700,2600,2,4
to this other one
i5-3317U,17,1200,1700,2600,2,4

I tried to get 0,8 GHZ of speed in my CPU (i5-3337U), because it's supposed we can, and it got stuck at 0,8 GHz. I need to set 1200 as the minimum freq to be able to have a variable freq on processor. With this change, I get from 1,2 GHz to 2,5 GHz, I've seen using "Intel Power Gadget".

3- DSDT.aml
Yes, I don't know why but during two days it seemed to sleep, but now it's not sleeping, so I have to recreate DSDT.aml.
When I have time, I'll do a new DSDT to be sure the patches I applied, and then I will tell you what I've done, ok? Now there are some patches applied for sleep issues that are not working. I realised yesterday, and I'm trying to get help in the S3 master thread.

4- Brightness.
Do you have the AppleBacklightInjector.kext into /Library/Extensions? Have you rebuild permissions/caches?
Please, can you go to System Preferences/Display and check if you have this slider?

If you have the slider, you can adjust brightness from there.
Please, check it. Maybe you don't have the ELAN trackpad/keyboard. Do you know that?

5-Camera: Ups! I never user it, and I forgot some people use it, and, so, I didn't say "camera doesn't work". I don't know how to solve this.

6- I have got bluetooth working, too. I realised I had an AR3012 in my S3, with idProd 0xe056 and idVend 0x489, so I checked a bluetooth firmware uploader adapted to it, and now my BT is working.

7- DSDT patches. Begin with #post 1 patches. I excluded the audio patches, included ther ACPIbrightness patch, the keyboard brightness patch... and other patches to try to solve the "instant wake" issue, but with no success.

So, in brief, can you try to solve the sleep issue? I can post bluetooth kext, and a new wifi kext with its new config.plist (with v9, no need to have "KextsToPatch" :)
But for the bluetooth I need to be sure what bluetooth you have. You can see that in DPCIManager or using IORegistryExplorer.

Thanks for keeping this thread going! :clap: My Acer s3 motherboard died a while ago and I managed to find a cheap replacement motherboard. Unfortunately it doesn't have the i5 and the intel HD 4000 combo but instead it has a core i3 and an intel HD 3000 on a 7 series chipset :|. I'm currently looking into getting Sierra to run on this thing, will post the progress!

Thanks for keeping this thread going! :clap: My Acer s3 motherboard died a while ago and I managed to find a cheap replacement motherboard. Unfortunately it doesn't have the i5 and the intel HD 4000 combo but instead it has a core i3 and an intel HD 3000 on a 7 series chipset :|. I'm currently looking into getting Sierra to run on this thing, will post the progress!
Nice to read you!
Let's going on! :)

1-Audio:
Named by Kidman shared the Apple HDA file he had patched on time under the main topic (page 11, Post 109) So we just have to edit the kext and patch part of the config file. But I don't know how to do. Link : View attachment v3_HP,Mic,Spkrs&HDMI_AppleHDA.kext.zip

2-Power Management:
What you have said in this regard is a little complicated and I can't understand much. My CPU 3217U. I created SSDT using SSDTPRGen and copied it to the required directory. But my cpu frequency is still fixed.

3- DSDT.aml
It is no longer a problem

4- Brightness.
I handle that.

5-Camera: İt's okey too.

6- Bluetooth
We have the same bluetooth chip. I checked.
P0gE9Q.png

7-Wifi
I am very happy to share it with the new wifi kext with config file. Because the wifi connection is interrupted rarely.
For now the only problem is that SSDT and WiFi connection are rarely interrupted. Thank you very much for your help. @skyfly555

More things:

The keyboard patch, if you have an ELAN trackpad-keyboard, to get the Fn+left and Fn+right keys to change the brightness settings. You have to patch this into DSDT.aml
Code:
into method label _Q1D replace_content
begin
// Brightness Down\n
Notify (KBD0, 0x20)\n
end;

into method label _Q1C replace_content
begin
// Brightness Up\n
Notify (KBD0, 0x10)\n
end;

I attach the new wiki kext, it's v9, and you can see it without having anything into "KextsToPatch" section inside of your Clover config.plist (so, if you use this, remove all the patches related to wifi into your clover config file.

To get BlueTooth working, you have to upgrade the firmware with the kext I'm attaching. Put it into /System/Library/Extensions/ and rebuild permissions/caches. But remember, Atheros BT cannot be switched on/off, you can do that only with Broadcom BTs.

And related to your CPU, the i3-3217U, you have to go to the Data folder where you installed ssdtPRgen and open the Ivy Bridge.cfg file.

Screen Shot 2017-05-15 at 06.50.37.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-15 at 06.52.48.png
And change the line where your processor is. The line has to be:
i3-3217U,17,1200,1800,1800,2,4

If you change 800 Mhz --> 1200 Mhz as the slowest CPU processor, you will have CPU clock management.

So, after changing this, create your SSDT.aml again and check it.

Attachments

• BTFirmwareUploader_3.1.5_10.11.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 145
  • AR946X.v9.zip
    661.7 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back