Contribute
Register

[Guide] Asus ZenBook UX303LA (Broadwell Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been following this thread semi-closely and it's great to know that there's a laptop that makes a pretty much perfect hackintosh on the go, besides the small annoyance of having to swap out the WiFi card (and it's an ultrabook no less). I have a few questions about it and its performance because I'm considering getting one of these with my tax return and PTO from work until I can save up enough money for a legit MacBook Pro.

• How does it perform under OS X? Does the Intel HD 5500 have full QE/CI support etc?

• How does it perform under Windows? What about multi-booting? I was thinking of partitioning the 256 GB SSD with Windows and maybe something like Arch Linux so I could triple boot (see next bullet point). I've multi-booted with Clover before, and it's quite seamless and impressive how it finds the boot.efi files for each OS.

• Has anyone tried installing OS X to an mSATA card and using that as the OS X boot drive? Sorry if this was answered before.

• How's battery life on this laptop? I'm traveling quite a bit this year and it'd be nice to use the computer on the plane/train etc without worrying too much about charging.

• Can it handle light-moderate gaming?

• This isn't so important to me but does the touch screen work on OS X?

EDIT: Is this the model used in this guide? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00X4099OG/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

EDIT 2: Since this guide was posted El Cap has officially been released.... will a normal Unibeast'd USB drive work to get the installer booted and going?

Thanks in advance,
Shiggitay

Does the Intel HD 5500 have full QE/CI support etc?

Yes. Basic requirement of any guide...

EDIT 2: Since this guide was posted El Cap has officially been released.... will a normal Unibeast'd USB drive work to get the installer booted and going?

Unibeast works ok for desktops, but usually the files require tweaks for laptops. Best to read post #1 and follow it, or use my guide.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...de-booting-os-x-installer-laptops-clover.html

• How does it perform under OS X?
Very well.

• How does it perform under Windows?
Very well.

What about multi-booting?
No problem really (with Clover).

• Has anyone tried installing OS X to an mSATA card and using that as the OS X boot drive?
Yes. This is how I've configured my laptop (always boot on the mSATA card / OSX).

• How's battery life on this laptop?
5 hours on Windows 10. 3 hours on OSX (Wifi on / web surfing/streaming videos).

• Can it handle light-moderate gaming?
Yes, Fifa 16 is smooth in HD. Diablo III is about the same.

• This isn't so important to me but does the touch screen work on OS X?
Mine is not a touch screen model.

I don't think so. The guide is working on my model though it isn't the same that is used in the guide on the first page. Mine is UX303LA-R4446H.

Hey do any of you guys have a working microphone / line out mic?

Mine does appear under audio devices however it doesnt work and has no levels.

Install VoodooHDA.

I just tried VoodooHDA and it does seem to work, however you have to keep manually selecting the outputs you use which can be frustrating. Any way around this? Ideally a working AppleHDA would be preferable
Maybe by patching AppleHDA. I haven't the time to do it now.
If it's successful for you, please tell us.

Perfect! Thank you very much!

Hi, i have bought an Asus UX303LB and im planning to install OS X. I have seen that you have one and you were able to install OS X.

First of all, congratulations for your succesfull installation. The fact is that I'm a bit novice in this and I wondered if is possible that you help me answering some questions;

1) Could I install it following the tutorial of ASUS UX303LA or there is another better for this model?

2) If it's not too much trouble, could you send me the files you used for the installation for this particular model?

3) Is there anything else I should consider in the process? Any advice? Anything will be welcomed.

Finally, THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH in advance

Hi, i have bought an Asus UX303LB and im planning to install OS X. I have seen that you have one and you were able to install OS X.

First of all, congratulations for your succesfull installation. The fact is that I'm a bit novice in this and I wondered if is possible that you help me answering some questions;

1) Could I install it following the tutorial of ASUS UX303LA or there is another better for this model?

2) If it's not too much trouble, could you send me the files you used for the installation for this particular model?

3) Is there anything else I should consider in the process? Any advice? Anything will be welcomed.

Finally, THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH in advance

You should thank rehabman for his support!
Actually you can find all steps in this thread for the installation on a UX303LB, so please read it carefully.

1) I think there is no better tutorial at the moment.

2) Please see post #149... there you can find my files needed for the installation on a UX303LB.

3) My advice would be to make further research on how to install a hackintosh.

Thats it!

You should thank rehabman for his support!
Actually you can find all steps in this thread for the installation on a UX303LB, so please read it carefully.

1) I think there is no better tutorial at the moment.

2) Please see post #149... there you can find my files needed for the installation on a UX303LB.

3) My advice would be to make further research on how to install a hackintosh.

Thats it!

Ok, I understand, I have read some of your posts, and now I think I should be able to install it, at least OS X.

What is better, use your files or create and patch mine (dsdt, ssdt...)?

Could there be some sort of incompatibility because my processor is i7? If yes, what file should I change?

Thank you and of course thanks to rehabman! :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back