Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] 4530s Display Upgrade to 1080p (Update: 2012-06-30)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chipsybg:

Are you saying that the display works fine in windows 7 with the 646274-001 cable, but you needed 646273-001 to boot into OSX? Thanks.

I have now changed the screen on my ProBook 4530s LY475EA (bought in June 2012). Here is my experience:

I bought a AUO B156HW01v5 (Glossy) from LaptopScreen.com after the opening post recommended that site. It arrived about 5-6 days later here in Norway and to my surprise there were no heavy taxing or something similar. I bought the HD+ connector 646274-001 from a guy called "taschablair" on Ebay who sells these worldwide, I bet he is around here as he mentions "ProBook Hackintosh Compatible" in the title, and if you are, again thank you very much. He shipped quickly as well and the cable arrived 7-8 days after purchase.

These items were bought 1 1/2 month ago or so, I was planning on doing a lasercut of the backplate when doing this to get a glowing Apple together with a original MacBook Pro plexiglass Apple logo part i bought from another store, but due to the place I was planning to do it at had a fire very recently (ironically due to the lasercutting machine) they could not help me with that task at the moment and I decided to just install the screen and do the cutting some other time.

It took me 3 hours to install from starting to find the correct screwdriver to firing up the ProBook. I installed the 1080p DSDT beforehand. The only problem I had was that I apparently did not have a T8 screwdriver and I didn't see that until I had disassembled half of it and was ready to remove the top. I used a small flat screwdriver which worked, but was not optimal for it. I do not recommend using a flat screwdriver, go buy a T8 if you have to.

Other than that it worked out pretty well, I messed up some of the cables' positioning which I needed to reposition, but other than that no huge problems. It worked perfectly on the first try.

And as for the screen, let me tell you it is GLORIOUS. But I would not recommend anyone who isn't comfortable with screws or PC hardware to attempt it alone. Anyone who has some experience with it and are not afraid of screwing the thing apart, then do yourself a favor and replace that old horrible screen.

Thanks everyone, you've been a great help.

http://i.imgur.com/grp8e.jpg
(grainy due to jpg compression)

Im about the take the plunge on this too. i already ordered my HD+ cable and my screen is coming in tomorrow. I'm really contemplating disassembling tonight and then when i get off work tomorrow, install the screen. I do have one question though, I read some where that some people recommend installing the 1080P dsdt before hand so i plan on installing that now before i take it apart. Question is the Bios version in the ProInstaller is F20 but i have the latest bios F28 already flashed. would that affect anything? can anyone please tell me before i install the dsdt and shut down to begin disassembly. thanks

Im about the take the plunge on this too. i already ordered my HD+ cable and my screen is coming in tomorrow. I'm really contemplating disassembling tonight and then when i get off work tomorrow, install the screen. I do have one question though, I read some where that some people recommend installing the 1080P dsdt before hand so i plan on installing that now before i take it apart. Question is the Bios version in the ProInstaller is F20 but i have the latest bios F28 already flashed. would that affect anything? can anyone please tell me before i install the dsdt and shut down to begin disassembly. thanks

F.20 from the Installer should work however it is recommended to extract your own DSDT and patch it using this guide
https://github.com/RehabMan/HP-ProBook-4x30s-DSDT-Patch/wiki/How-to-patch-your-DSDT

while at it you can also upgrade to F.29

It also possible to have couple different dsdt versions and use one that is needed by typing something similar to this at the boot prompt:

DSDT=/Extra/MyDSDT1080p.aml

could i apply the patch from the pro installer then, patch my own dsdt afterwards? i've already extracted my dsdt but i haven't patched it yet. i still got some questions for rehab man but i'll ask him directly later on.

could i apply the patch from the pro installer then, patch my own dsdt afterwards? i've already extracted my dsdt but i haven't patched it yet. i still got some questions for rehab man but i'll ask him directly later on.

Yes, you can use the one from the installer until you have time to patch your own...

you did it again rehabman! wow you are definitely a tremendous help around here. I got my screen it today and while it took me about 3 hours total to install it it was a complete success! :thumbup::headbang: thanks for giving me the confidence to try. Next project, i7 quad then finally patching my dsdt. i need to get that quiet fan thing going too. oh by the way, thank you too bigdonkey :D

Got my AU Optronics B156HW01 v4 and HP Cable installed today. Followed the guide as shown. Big thanks to Likemike for the effort. The Probook looks 1000x better with this new screen!

Yes thats the one. This is the third screen I've bought off of these guys over the years, they're great to deal with. Used the cheaper 646274-001 cable, not the more expensive one. HP's site says its for the 4730s, but it worked just fine in the 4530.

Both Mtn Lion and Win7 look WAAYYYYY better. The font isn't too small either, I wouldn't want to see it any smaller but its perfectly readable without eye strain. Crisp too.

With the new screen, drive caddy and SSD, Atheros wifi, this Probook (tax in) was under $750 CDN brand new. I'm very pleased.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back