Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] 4530s Display Upgrade to 1080p (Update: 2012-06-30)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MacBook Pro 13 Retina
CPU
i5
Graphics
Intel HD4000
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
[GUIDE] 4530s Display Upgrade to 1080p (Update: 2014-01-15)

Atm there are no models of HP ProBook 4530s that are known not to work. :D

Overview of the combinations confirmed working by users:

Overview Table

First of all I´d like to thank you guys which made this possible, especially masso912, blueking, BigDonkey and timohour and all other people which helped.

I did the screen upgrade too. The new screen (AUO B156HW01 v4) looks really awesome and is the best laptop screen I´ve ever seen. It´s a 10000% raise of quality in comparison to the original one. Colors are so beautiful and viewing angles are awesome.

Since I´m from Austria the search for the screen panel was a horror trip since the most sellers here in Europe are selling only compatible screen panel models. They write that it is the model AUO B156HW01 v4 and in truth they ship only a compatible one. Which screen comes, depends on the sellers stock. I bought the panel on Ebay from a German seller, which declares the exact model number (Link later in this post). Prices are daily and per screen panel. The guy who bought before me had to pay 129€, I ‘only’ paid 109€ for it. Expensive in comparison to US or Canada though, but it´s worth it. I also bought the replacement HD cable of the ProBook 4730 (Part No 646274-001) from HP-Partsurfer (with free premium shipping :p ). Costs about 20€.

The replacement of the screen took me about 2,5 hours plus a few hours in advance to find Information of how to replace the screen. Since there is no thread which gives full information about this procedure I decided to make one. After I read many forum posts and got told it will be easy, I thought it will be so, but it wasn´t.

So to make it easier for others, I want to give the links plus a little guide on how to do the replacement.

First: All credits go to the makers of the code, scripts, videos and manuals.

PREREQUISITES

Needed tools:

• Philips screwdriver (P0 or P1)
  • Torx screwdriver (T8)
  • steady hand and calmness :)
  • I´d also recommend a few small plastic bags to put the screws in. Otherwise you maybe not able to place the screws in the correct places again. And there are many, many screws ;) .

Needed hardware parts:

• HP ProBook 4530s :cool:
  • Screen panel
    I´d recommend the AU Optronics B156HW01 v4
    It can be purchased here i.E.(I don´t get commission or something like that!!!)
    German Ebay Seller
    or
    Laptopscreen.com
  • HD replacement cable from ProBook 4730 (HP Part No 646274-001)
    It can be purchased from HP Parts Store with free shipping:
    Replacement Cable (here not available for sale anymore, just for info where the part is used)

HP Parts Store (the place to go)
    Select your continent and on the followup your country. Then click "Search by part number" and enter the number 646274-001.T he cable should be found and will be automatically placed in your cart. Proceed to checkout and follow the steps (address, payment data) given by the site.

Needed software:

• “Dual-Screen” patched DSDT
    Simply open your existing and WORKING DSDT (i.E. “dsdt.aml”) with a program like DSDT-Editor which can be found HERE.

Simply add the following code to your _DSM section:
    Code:
    "AAPL00,DualLink", 
    Buffer (0x04)
    {
    0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
    },

And replace the "Store (Package (0x04)" with 0x06.

It should look like this:

Code:
      Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
                    {
                        Store (Package (0x06)
                            {
                                "hda-gfx", 
                                Buffer (0x0A)
                                {
                                    "onboard-2"
                                }, 
                                "AAPL00,DualLink", 
                                Buffer (0x04)
                                {
                                    0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
                                }, 
                                "AAPL,snb-platform-id", 
                                Buffer (0x04)
                                {
                                    0x00, 0x00, 0x01, 0x00
                                }
                            }, Local0)
                        DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                        Return (Local0)
                    }

Now compile it and save it as dsdt1080.aml in /Extra/ (where your other dsdt.aml is). Do the compiling on your ProBook. I got errors on my desktop machine. Compiling of the same file worked on ProBook.

Guide for disassembling ProBook:
HP ProBook 4530 Service and Support Manual

Even if other people would say it´s not necessary, I would strongly recommend to completely disassemble the case of the ProBook. It´s only a few minutes of additional work and in doubt saves you nerves and money.

GUIDE

1. Open the manual and simply start on page 47 and go through the procedures. You need to remove the HDD and the DVD drive. I also removed the dummy inserts of the card reader and the expansion slot. CPU, Memory, WWAN, Wifi can stay in their place.
  2. Next important step is on page 63: The keyboard removal.
    Simply do as described. On Step 4 be sure to use the correct hole to get the keyboard out. I would recommend, that you DO NOT use a screwdriver or something that can stick trough the keyboard backplate. Use something thicker with a big contact face, so you don´t damage the keyboard. At first time it needs to be pressed out strongly, because it is additionally fixed with some adhesive tape on the backside. Here´s a good video which shows the procedure: Keyboard removal
  3. Once you have disassembled the keyboard, work through the procedures until the end page 69. Stop here.
  4. Now switch to page 100 (Display assembly).
    I strongly recommend to work through all the steps until page 106 and completely disassemble the screen. Hint: On the procedure of page 104 there was a hidden screw under a piece of adhesive tape on the right side of the base unit of my ProBook. Remove the tape to remove the last screw.

I recommend this, because I worked like described in some forums and showed in a video (the video later in this post). Unfortunately the bordered brackets of the screen cover, other than the screw mounts, are out of a very cheap plastic and can easily be broken if the display case stays mounted to the base unit. I broke the holding and had to glue it very carefully. Since HP is crazy with the spare part prices, the replacement cover would cost about 100€. This part must cost them under 3€ in purchase, because it is really made in very cheap way and out of cheap material formula. And believe me, I know what I´m talking about plastic materials. Also the display cable for 20€ is an insolence in reality.
  5. Once on page 106 you should remove (pry out) the display bezel.
    The bezel remove procedure is showed in this video: Display bezel
    To repeat again: I DO NOT recommend, the display to be mounted on the base unit, when doing this. This video is only to show how to remove the bezel, because it is not well described in the manual.
  6. When you´ve done this start over to page 108 and do as described. If you do it another way, you´ll risk to damage the cover or the brackets.
  7. Now the disassembling is done. Simply replace the panel with the new one and connect the replacement cable to the back of the panel. Check that the contacts are well placed and press the adhesive part of the cable on the back so that the cable is fixed. Now remove the original cable from the base unit and replace it with the new one. Do the cable routing like it was with the old one. Plug the cable and check that everything is routed and plugged well. Especially the Wifi cables are a little bit tricky in routing.
  8. Simply reverse the steps.
    I repeat: Check every plugged cable 2 times, so you can be sure that you don´t have a faulty connection, which afterwards produces errors and prevents you from booting.
  9. If the display powers on when you switch on the ProBook, everything should be alright. If it´s not up, recheck the cables :| . If it boots up, the display won´t work correct in MacOS. In my case it showed the Desktop, but all was green/red and flickering, also wrong resolution. So reboot and use the prepared “Dual-Screen” patched DSDT. To do so you have to press any key in Chimera-Bootmanager and write i.E. “DSDT=/Extra/dsdt1080.aml” without the quotes and press Enter.
  10. Your new screen should now be up and running in correct way. If so, you can go on and backup your original dsdt.aml to save location, delete it from /Extra/ Folder and rename the "dsdt1080.aml" to "dsdt.aml".

That´s it.

P.S.: There is no need to replace any camera cable, since it will work when you do it this way.

Re: [Guide] 4530s Display Upgrade to 1080p

thanks. nice. what is your exact CPU ?

Likemike said:
I have a Core i3 2330m (2.2 GHz).
thanks, so 1080p screen does work with new CPU i3-2330M

Likemike said:
Didn´t know that it´s a new CPU. I thought it´s an old version of i3?
in sense newer than base model 2310M, one or two users were unsuccessful in changing to 1080p on 2330m. your probook is the first.

GregCH said:
Likemike said:
Didn´t know that it´s a new CPU. I thought it´s an old version of i3?
in sense newer than base model 2310M, one or two users were unsuccessful in changing to 1080p on 2330m. your probook is the first.

So I'm Lucky One :D

You have a non-problematic model, you're not lucky.
The model with issues is A7K05UT

Yes, with the original screen it worked fine, no major complains there. After screen replacement the issues began.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back