Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] 4530s Display Upgrade to 1080p (Update: 2012-06-30)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to say: SUCCESS!!! :D
Upgraded with B156HW01 V.4 matte and with 646274-001 cable from HP online store part. Worked fine in my LW854EA, with F09 bios. The "problem" is that Color profiles doesn't convince me, no one of them. I'll try with one mine and let's see, but this is not a problem. The screen is fantastic. Bought on laptopscreen, but duty paid on arrive. I'm from Spain. Just 4 days to receive, but 32€ more (more or less 40$...), but instead, it's a very recomended bought.
The bezel doesn't fit correctly because the webcam cable and the lcd cable doesn't route well from their original paths, so I had to force a little bit the bezel. The hinge covers it's in a difficult way, but with the appropiate technics they go away easy. How? Forcing them up and down and let them go out when you take away from up, and when you re-assamble, from down.

I see from reading through the first 7 or so posts there are other 1080p screens that will work; am I correct? Does anyone know which one is the better one?

I really don't want or need extra 1080p laptop screen lying around the house. :)

Thanks
A.
If you've read this thread, you'd know that any compatible screen will work and the best one is B156HW01 V.4

Order of installation for a 10.7.3 system?

I know it works on all probooks but here is a update. I just installed the B156HW01 v5 and it works also on the LJ521UT & A7K05UT with the 646274-001 hp cable.

People having problems with DSDTs, check my signature for the NEW hp installer 4. I have every DSDT (HD & SD) & SSDT (i3,i5,i7) out in the installer...

I'm still running 10.7.3 and ordered the new screen and cable.

Is this what I do?
Run the v4 installer and select only the 1080p screen dsdt for my 4530 f20 (not radeon)
shut down and install the screen
start up and celebrate!

or

will I have a problem because I am still on 10.7.3?
Do I need to install profiles, or anything else from the v4 installer to make the new screen work with 10.7.3?
Do I need to get to 10.7.4? I hope not. I'd rather just go straight to Mountain lion, but I realize this installer is designed for 10.7.4.

So when I want to install mountain lion how does it work with the 1080 screen already installed?
Will I be able to boot up with the new unibeast/mountain lion thumbdrive right away, or is there a complication?
I don't need full 1080 or anything, but I don't want to boot up to a scrambled screen, either.

Many thanks,
dave

Question, could you update the guide to include weather you need to purchase the extra cable for your webcam, or what is do people need to determine if they need to purchase the case, also what the part number is (or website) so they can order it?

I would love to see to the guide complete instead of having to surf through the many threads afterwards to find out if I need an extra cable or not. :)

Thanks

Did you read the last sentence of the guide ?

I just finished my upgrade last night. More work then i thought, allot of screws to take out and part to get to the new cable install.

2 things...

I DESTROYED the hinge covers, halfway getting them off, and totally trying to get them back on. The tabs on the one end where two boxes clip in, broke on both. Any good place I can order replacement hinge covers?

The webcam looks like total crap. I mean worst picture I've every seen. Did i mess up a cable or cord, or does the camera just suck that bad that on a 1080p screen it looks like a giant blocky digital cam pic from 1998.

Thanks

Thank you thank you thank you!!!
Night and day difference, So glad so many people have done this and rated it with such high remarks. Gave me the confidence to give this update a try. So happy with the upgrade that I just want to take it to the apple store and strut... Not that that would be a great idea. In any case, thanks for the guide and recommendations. If any one is wondering or hesitant due to dpi, I'm heading towards 40 have so so eye sight and should probably wear glasses. Having said that I'm currently sitting about 3.5 feet from the screen and have no trouble reading the text on the screen. The mouse pointer is a bit small, but I'm not complaining about that, just an observation. Go for it.

Thank you thank you thank you!!!
Night and day difference, So glad so many people have done this and rated it with such high remarks. Gave me the confidence to give this update a try. So happy with the upgrade that I just want to take it to the apple store and strut... Not that that would be a great idea. In any case, thanks for the guide and recommendations. If any one is wondering or hesitant due to dpi, I'm heading towards 40 have so so eye sight and should probably wear glasses. Having said that I'm currently sitting about 3.5 feet from the screen and have no trouble reading the text on the screen. The mouse pointer is a bit small, but I'm not complaining about that, just an observation. Go for it.

You can make the mouse pointer bigger.
Settings > Universal Access > Mouse & Trackpad > Cursor Size

I know, I looked into changing the mouse pointer but I'm already used to the size of it now. Not even close to an issue anymore.

On a side note. I've searched (admittedly, I didn't bash my head in trying) but can't really find anything. Does anyone have any idea on what to do with the old panel? I had the idea of slapping a miniITX, SSD, linux box in a custom frame and using it as a media center in some random room (kitchen, bathroom, etc). My problem is I have no idea where I would find an LVDS controller for that particular panel. I searched by model number on ebay and google("LVDS + model number", but I'm worried that all of them seem to be panel specific. I'll keep searching but if anyone has any ideas I'd enjoy reading them.

Thanks in advance.

I just upgraded with V4 of the display (The matte one).

First I want to say that I am normally against matte displays. The stock ProBook was the first matte display I'd ever owned, and I think it tainted the experience for me (those stock displays are terrible IMO). To counter this I purchased a glossy display of the same resolution, and while this improved things some what, I was still sent a crappy display (It was an LG LP156WH2). I own a SpyderPro4 calibration device, and even with the calibration, I only got to 74% of sRGB - Thank you laptopscreen.com for sending me a "similar" display to the Samsung panel I repeatedly requested. I guess "similar" means inferior.

This time round I took a chance on the AU Optronics V4 display because I read a few reviews and noticed high praise for it, and also that it used Blue LED with green and red phosphors as opposed to the standard Blue led and Yellow phosphor. My understanding is that the AU Optronics V4 display IS NOT RGB led, however my SpyderPro4 is picking it up as a display for a ThinkPad, and as a wide gamut RGB led.

Anyway installation was straight forward, and once I calibrated the display it looks awesome! I've attached my colour profile if anyone is interested in a AU Optronics V4 calibrated display.

Attachments

• AU Optronics B156HW01 V4.icc.zip
    3.1 KB · Views: 203
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back