Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] 4530s Display Upgrade to 1080p (Update: 2012-06-30)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to say thanks Likemike for the awesome guide. I ordered the AUO B156HW01 v4 screen (from laptopscreen.com) and the 646274-001 cable (direct from HP).

It is now installed and working great. What an improvement.

I patched my DSDT (with my patch repo, of course) prior to doing the upgrade and had it installed in /Extra ready to go. Now I probably need to update my Unibeast stick(s) (for recovery).

I only had one little problem. When I connected the new cable to the motherboard, I didn't seat it well enough and it didn't work (strange split screen, an snow-like picture). So, I took it back apart to double check the connection and sure enough, it wasn't pushed on completely. So, for people trying this, make sure you really seat the connector all the way -- to where you cannot push it any further. As a side note, the second disassembly and re-assembly went much quicker than the first.

No doubt without this guide it would have taken longer and I probably would have made more mistakes.

Interesting that this panel comes across as a Lenovo 1080p display in Windows 7...

I upgraded my screen following this guide yesterday, things didnt go as smoothly as I hoped

I got the screen connected and working

I initially couldnt get the computer to boot, even tho I hd my 1080 dsdt in the folder and ready to go - something about PciRootUID not identified as 0 - so I took the HDD out put the original dsdt in the extra folder

i was able to boot this time but to a flickering blue screen. I also discovered that the touchpad had stopped working so I had to connect a mouse separately

After this, I applied the v6 installer using the 1080 dsdt from there...

this time it worked and i was able to get in to osx in 1920 x1080

however...the colors are very garish (disappointing)...the reds and the blues seem over saturated - i have tried applying various color profiles and recalibrating myself...it improves the colors slightly but not much...

i also noticed that after applying the v6 installer that HW monitor was only showing information about one of the 2 hard drives in the computer...nothing about fans or processors...so i installed the fake smc from multibeast and HW monitor was showing the info that it did before i did the screen upgrade

of course, i managed to break both hinge covers

i tried some quick editing in photoshop and noticed that as various effects were being applied, there seemed to be a kind of red ghosting...hard to describe, but like a latency or delay which left a red ghost very briefly as the screen was changing from one edit to another...i thought my eyes were playing tricks initially, but it was definitely there and i also noticed later on during initially bootup as the HP logo transitions into the chameleon bootloader...

touchpad still not working....i took everything apart again this morning and all the connections seem to be OK...

any ideas on how to improve the color/responsiveness of the screen...i can live with the no trackpad situation but it is somewhat of a bummer....but so far i am very underwhelmed by the screen

btw...i am running 10.75 and the screen i purchased (along with the new cable) was the one recommended at the beginning of this guide

edit...also, the Fn keys have become misaligned - instead of the Fn key controlling the volume etc, it is now the cntrl key that does it. i have tried an EC reset but it didnt work for me on this occasion (it has in the past)

edit 2: (a few hrs later): the Fn keys now seem to be working properly (not sure why) but still no touchpad unfortunately...i dont think the touchpad issue is osx related, the computer reports 'no mouse detected' before it even gets to the boot loader.

i am not sure i like this screen at all and i am beginning to wonder if i got something different from what everyone else has been raving about on here...i cant believe that the screen i am looking at would have got so many rave reviews and recommendations

edit 3: just tried to play some music using the headphone jack. i have sound coming from the computer speakers but the headphone jack is now dead too...i obviously screwed something up pretty bad when i put the computer back together..no touchpad, no headphone jack and a not too brilliant screen

:(

oh well...you live and learn

edit 4: i totally disassembled the laptop again this morning (except for the screen) and discovered my stupid mistake. when i originally put it all back together on friday night, i simply hadn't reconnected the touchpad zif cable which obviously includes an audio connection to the headphone jack. reconnected everything correctly and now everything is working properly...touchpad, audio etc...the only thing i need to do now is replace the broken hinge covers, but i image i will live with the broken ones for quite a while and may not replace them at all

in regards to the screen itself, i am still somewhat disappointed with the over saturated colors although i have made a few tweaks and it is better than it was. that latent ghosting is somewhat of a pain however but again its something i guess i can live with

on a side note i learned something i didnt know before all this...i didnt realise that you can tap on the top left hand corner of the touchpad and enable/disable it

So this is the problem I am seeing with my new screen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AjWhLbTzXg

Has this happened to anyone else who has installed the AUO B156HW01 v4 screen

I am assuming this a pretty bad fault (the red ghosting is even worse than this on mine)

I have contacted laptopscreen.com for further advice

So this is the problem I am seeing with my new screen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AjWhLbTzXg

Has this happened to anyone else who has installed the AUO B156HW01 v4 screen

I am assuming this a pretty bad fault (the red ghosting is even worse than this on mine)

I have contacted laptopscreen.com for further advice

I could try it here for you too, but I don't understand what you are doing...

I think he used MS Paint or something similar and made a black background. When he´s moving the mouse slowly now he has some red shine after the cursor.

In the video, it looked too big to be the mouse. To do a valid comparison test, we need to know exactly what he's doing in the video.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back