Contribute
Register

GTX670 crashes openCl High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Geekbench is a CPU benchmarking tool, it has little impact on the GPU.

The Heaven benchmark is not great but not awful, it is probably around 40% the FPS of a modern dGP (RX 580 or similar would have a FPS of around 57-60). The (low) FPS should tell you that your GTX 670 would struggle to undertake any serious heavy graphics work (larger than 1080 resolution. If you are using a new version of the Filmora software it would expect a newer more powerful dGPU, not a mid-2012 GPU.

I would recommend you uninstall the current version of Filmora (assumed to be v10.1.6) and look to install an older version, one that is a couple of years old if possible (version 8.7.3 or v9.0 no newer than v9.5), to see if the same issues arise when you use the older software. As it may be that Wondershare have changed something in the newer versions of Filmora that your GPU can't handle.

Reading the system requirements for the software - https://filmora.wondershare.com/mac-tech-spec.html
tells me your GTX 670 2GB card is just below the level of the bare minimum dGPU. They recommend a GTX 700 series (preferably higher), which probably worked just fine with the older versions of the app, as they would have been aimed at editing 720 and 1080 (HD resolution) films, not handling 4K and larger.

Edhawk, you're a lifesaver. Now that I think back, my main problems began when I updated to 10.2 from 10.1 I think. I should have realised that was the main issue.
I'm now running 9.5 and edited a video all night and not one crash. Brilliant. Thanks so much. And in the process, thanks to you and Middleman, my EFI is probably a bit more streamlined too. Weirdly my RAM is reading 34.81Gb instead of the 32Gb (see attached), but that doesn't seem to be causing issues so I'll ignore it (unless the reason is obvious?).
If I start missing some features of more recent Filmora software versions I might consider a new GPU card. Any recommendations of what to get for video editing?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-19 at 9.12.20 am.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-19 at 9.12.20 am.png
    45.7 KB · Views: 34
No idea what is happening with the memory report, unless it causes some issues I would assume it is a cosmetic issue.

Good you have your Filmora software working again.

I would recommend an RX580 or newer, but in the current market you will struggle to get hold of a recent AMD GPU at a reasonable price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back