Contribute
Register

GTX 780 crashes Premiere Pro CC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any news at all on if and when NVIDIA intends to update the drivers to support GTX 780/780ti/Titan cards?

Big bummer that we have to use other, lesser cards to avoid freezes, instead of being able to use our Kepler cards.

Any news at all on if and when NVIDIA intends to update the drivers to support GTX 780/780ti/Titan cards?

Big bummer that we have to use other, lesser cards to avoid freezes, instead of being able to use our Kepler cards.

You're not a big reader i gather? Because it seems you didn't bother reading much if any of this thread before posting.

If you had you would know that plenty of Kepler cards work just fine, its only a certain revision of a couple of models that have issues. Further, the last few posts describe in detail a workaround so that your rev B card won't "cause freezes". And, NO, unless someone here happens to work for nVidia, no one knows when they will fix the issue in their drivers.... All we can anticipate is that it will almost certainly come in an OS X point update, such as 10.9.2 (not looking likely), 10.9.3, etc. There is also the small possibility that it will come between point updates in the form of a web driver. But in any case, no one will know until it actually comes out, or at least is released in a developer build- which per site policy is not open for discussion here anyway.

g\

Hi,

The test:
- Premiere CC Trial
-

* Next time I created a new project and changed the renderer, nothing bad happened.

This is all I have time for now, hope it helps!

This is very helpful! odd about your first crash but maybe it was a fluke.

With the ability to use CUDA (which is much faster on nVidia cards than OCL anyway) and basic OpenCL covered by the CPU, things are in a good position for a "buy now and wait-it-out" approach.

Again, many thanks for the contributions.
g\

This is a patch which modifies the machine code. If you can not find a perfect match, then modifying somethin similar to that could potentially be dangerous. Tomorrow I will take a look at the 10.9.1 ocl framework and provide a patch for that, but I think it could easily be the same.

Could you try to search for the hex match with the app I recommended? Hex Fiend. (Not a typo :) )

I'm on 10.9.1 and applied the patch fine. (Used vim though as my hex editor :)).

It´s interesting how I can often wait days and even weeks for an educated reply to any specific problem I might have, when posting issues on this forum.
Arrogance, however, seems easier to come by.
But thanks for taking the time to both inform me that you don´t know anymore than I already knew - and even bothering to write me a few extra derogatory lines. Very classy.

To everyone else; a short recap if you don´t have time reading what I have already been posting several times:
• My Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce freezes on all Open CL apps and processes incl. QuickLook and imageviewer.

• Thanks for the short-term patch, however, I need a permanent, stable solution.
I already have too many home-brewed bandaid solutions on my already worked-around and glitchy (supposedly professional) machine.

On Netkas, Insanelmac and a few other places they talk about an upcoming driver.
I was wondering if someone in here would be more informed and updated on the latest info than them.

I guess switching back to my 650ti is the only viable option until an official update pops up. Seems like the lesser evil.

You're not a big reader i gather? Because it seems you didn't bother reading much if any of this thread before posting.

If you had you would know that plenty of Kepler cards work just fine, its only a certain revision of a couple of models that have issues. Further, the last few posts describe in detail a workaround so that your rev B card won't "cause freezes". And, NO, unless someone here happens to work for nVidia, no one knows when they will fix the issue in their drivers.... All we can anticipate is that it will almost certainly come in an OS X point update, such as 10.9.2 (not looking likely), 10.9.3, etc. There is also the small possibility that it will come between point updates in the form of a web driver. But in any case, no one will know until it actually comes out, or at least is released in a developer build- which per site policy is not open for discussion here anyway.

g\

LasseBauer

• There was nothing wrong with genzai's answer
  • We know about your OpenCL issue, probably everyone on this thread has the same problem
  • If my upper mentioned solution is not permanent enough, then as of this post we don't have a better one
  • We don't have insights on NVIDIA Mac driver development, no idea if they will even make a web driver for Mavericks
  • As of 10.9.1 the driver has the bug and forum rules don't allow discussion of betas

I have no idea what extra info you want and we can possibly give at the moment.

If it means anything perhaps, GTX770 is a good card for video editing at least in PP, it seems to be the "most popular" / most used card - well the 680 but the 770 is the 680 (basically) with faster RAM @ 7000MHz versus 680 6000MHz. The 4GB 770 is right around $400 as well, meaning not as much as the 780. For what its worth.

This thread is above me technically, so Im sticking with the 770 until a (much) easier fix / work around is available.

I still love this thread, great stuff I still learn from it its just way above me at this point. Perhaps after taking some programming courses in the next few semesters this might all start to make more sense.

my two cents - thank you for reading - good stuff glad I have the opportunity to read it all.

kudos

If you had you would know that plenty of Kepler cards work just fine, its only a certain revision of a couple of models that have issues. Further, the last few posts describe in detail a workaround so that your rev B card won't "cause freezes".
g\

Does anybody know reliably which GTX 780 cards with rev A (or any other revision that will definitely work with OpenCL) are still available so I can buy one?

Thanks!

Does anybody know reliably which GTX 780 cards with rev A (or any other revision that will definitely work with OpenCL) are still available so I can buy one?

Thanks!

To sum it up, no...

As far as I remember, the only failsafe way is to get the bios version number
If it starts with 80.10 then it's a rev A1 card
If it starts with 80.80 then it's a rev B card

Someone correct me if I'm wrong :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back