Contribute
Register

GTX 780 crashes Premiere Pro CC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy info for non-developer members!

Download Xcode (You will need this for the codesign command)
Open Keychain Access
Go to Keychain Access > Certificate Assistant > Create a Certificate...
  1. Give it a name like "OpenCLFWKCS" (I will refer to it as this from now on)
  2. Identity Type: Self Signed Root
  3. Certificate Type: Code Signing
  4. Create
Do the modifications mentioned here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/103048-gtx-780-crashes-premiere-pro-cc-14.html#post747779

When signing use this in Terminal:
Code:
sudo codesign -fs "OpenCLFWKCS" /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenCL.framework/Versions/A/OpenCL
You should see something like this as result:
Code:
/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenCL.framework/Versions/A/OpenCL: replacing existing signature

Worked for me :) Have fun!

PS: Do not upload the binary, it probably will NOT work for others, cause to use the framework they need the cert you signed it with, and you shouldn't upload that either :D Lots of info in there.

Good question, I used to think that too. From what I know, according to PJALM, nVidia cards are better for video editing, ATI/RADEON/AMD cards are better for gaming.

AFAIK only PJALM could really answer that question.

What you said does make sense though, but Im not sure it is that way and have a feeling it isnt.

I actually said nVidia was better for Video editing since most the Adobe apps use CUDA not OpenCL, OpenCL is better on ATI not nVidia.

Is this working with the TI version ?

Well, it depends...
If the TI version is built on the GK110B core and the only symptoms are the ones we talked about (any app that uses OpenCL crashes with BAD_ACCESS on a thread with strlen on the top of the stack) then there is a good chance it will.

This solution works *perfectly* for me (EVGA Classified 780gtx).

Apps that were crashing on startup or anything that what formerly triggered a strlen segfault now work.

Thank you SO much for the detailed description how to work around this issue in a tolerable fashion!

I'm afraid my opencl doesn't have a E83DE10100F6C3057413 in it anywhere. 0 results. Can you give me a string to search for instead for those not on 10.9.0? I'm often able to find the spot that needs patching when I know what specifically to look for.

I'm afraid my opencl doesn't have a E83DE10100F6C3057413 in it anywhere. 0 results. Can you give me a string to search for instead for those not on 10.9.0? I'm often able to find the spot that needs patching when I know what specifically to look for.

This is a patch which modifies the machine code. If you can not find a perfect match, then modifying somethin similar to that could potentially be dangerous. Tomorrow I will take a look at the 10.9.1 ocl framework and provide a patch for that, but I think it could easily be the same.

Could you try to search for the hex match with the app I recommended? Hex Fiend. (Not a typo :) )

I actually said nVidia was better for Video editing since most the Adobe apps use CUDA not OpenCL, OpenCL is better on ATI not nVidia.

Oh, nice - thank you for clarifying. I suppose then nVidia would be better for PP and AE, ATI better for FCP and Motion. Ill have to look into this / research this a bit more it seems most building video editing pc's (hackintosh) are using nVidia and FCP (along with other software as well). AFAIK FCP uses OpenCL.

There must be something about nVidia that works better than ATI with FCP... even though FCP specifications state an OpenCL enabled Graphics card.

The value is in the framework mystical. You need to select Hex when doing a search, as this string is in hex. You also need to select Hex in the Replace With field and paste the exact entry that was stated in the post.

From there you should be set as long as you enter the proper codesigning command in Terminal as shown. I may try this if I get some free time (and after I make a backup of my system!), but since the entire hex string given to us is found in the framework, it should work when replacing it. I am using the 10.9.1 framework, so this should be an exact replica of the 10.9.0 fix.

The value is in the framework mystical. You need to select Hex when doing a search, as this string is in hex. You also need to select Hex in the Replace With field and paste the exact entry that was stated in the post.

From there you should be set as long as you enter the proper codesigning command in Terminal as shown. I may try this if I get some free time (and after I make a backup of my system!), but since the entire hex string given to us is found in the framework, it should work when replacing it. I am using the 10.9.1 framework, so this should be an exact replica of the 10.9.0 fix.

Its not that simple, I'm not home yet but I will provide a 10.9.1 patch. The thing is that the code itself is the same, but it contains a function call and the address of that could easily change even if the code is the same semantically.

Secondly, you don't need a full system backup, just be sure you can boot with -s so if needed you could revert the framework to its original form.

/sbin/mount -uw /
cp <working ocl exec> <ocl exec>
logout (or exit)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back