Contribute
Register

GTX 780 crashes Premiere Pro CC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you - but which vendor is able to tell me the BIOS number in advance? :)

So, the only way would be buying a used card to be sure to get the right revision, right?

Well, probably no vendor is that nice, they would have to check it too. :)

And I wouldn't recommend buying one 'cause odds are that the A1 rev cards are probably sold out.

@MacAndor:

Thanks! :thumbup:
All I wanted was some more info, so thanks for the straight answer.

And again: Thanks a lot for offering a temporary solution.
I appreciate that it´s probably not easy, and also quite time consuming to come up with patches etc - it´s an area I know nothing about. So thanks - however, having encountered way too many complications with this build already, I just want to wait for a permanent solution :)
And since this machine is my bread and butter, I want to make an informed decision on what to do now:
Wait a bit, or get another card.

I had no idea, that sharing inside info on an upcoming driver or betas was a no-no on this site.
I´ll check other sources then.

Thanks again! :thumbup:

LasseBauer

• There was nothing wrong with genzai's answer
  • We know about your OpenCL issue, probably everyone on this thread has the same problem
  • If my upper mentioned solution is not permanent enough, then as of this post we don't have a better one
  • We don't have insights on NVIDIA Mac driver development, no idea if they will even make a web driver for Mavericks
  • As of 10.9.1 the driver has the bug and forum rules don't allow discussion of betas

I have no idea what extra info you want and we can possibly give at the moment.

Thank you - but which vendor is able to tell me the BIOS number in advance? :)

So, the only way would be buying a used card to be sure to get the right revision, right?

There is no way to tell in advance unless someone selling theirs knows their revision (A versus B). Other than that there is no way, like has been said its a crapshoot. Youd have to buy a card, install it and check the bios, most likely (well its been said) all 780s now ship with revision B (GK110B).

As an alternative 770 is a sweet card. Of course also there is the fix thats been posted in this thread.

A couple of questions re figuring out how to optimize my setup for my Hackintosh and old Mac Pro:

• Will the GTX 770 work OOB with OSX 10.9.0 and 10.9.1 (no OpenCL crashes etc)?
• Any huge difference in speed when working in AE or PP picking the 4GB over the 2GB version?
• Anyone who knows if the GTX 780 will work in an original Mac Pro?

A couple of questions re figuring out how to optimize my setup for my Hackintosh and old Mac Pro:

• Will the GTX 770 work OOB with OSX 10.9.0 and 10.9.1 (no OpenCL crashes etc)?
• Any huge difference in speed when working in AE or PP picking the 4GB over the 2GB version?
• Anyone who knows if the GTX 780 will work in an original Mac Pro?

1) It's been covered in many forum posts, but yes it works native with GE=No and OpenCL works correctly

2) This question is perhaps over simplified. Will it matter? depends entirely on what you are doing. VRAM doesn't add any speed in the absolute sense. VRAM is specifically useful if you are working on larger resolution projects, or in other cases where larger amounts of data need to be processed from RAM. For instance with 4K projects it makes a huge difference. If you're in 1080p land and going to stay there for a good long while then it won't matter as much. It also depends on how many and of how high resolution your monitors connected to the 770 are, since the VRAM is shared between framebuffer needs of outputting the image on the monitor as well as to load data into for processing via CUDA and OCL. So you need to make that decision based on the type of work you are doing.

3)In what sense? if its Rev B it won't work any better than it does in a hack. the OCL bug has to do with the rev and the drivers, it has nothing to do with hackintoshes. Otherwise, it seems all 7XX cards should work in a mac pro albeit you will not get any display output until the OS has loaded. You won't see the apple boot logo or be able to access drive selection via ALT key, etc. If you have the slots you can always add the 780 as a second card and use it for processing without any monitor attached.

g\

1) Cool, thanks. Just wanted to make sure I didn´t invest in yet another card that would leave me in the same predicament.

2) Yes, I understand there are quite a few parameters that go into making that decision.
I mostly work with 720 res video projects, less so in 1080.
Monitors: Two Mac aluminium displays; 23" and 30" respectively at their full res.
The difference in price is appr 80$, so it´s perhaps not even worth spending time wondering about that, but rather just go for the 4GB and move on.

3) Good to know. Just wondering if I could use the 780 in my old Mac Pro.
My GTX 650ti works fine in the old Mac Pro - with the startup screen disabled as you mentioned.

4) Let me get this straight: Will the GTX780 WORK and NOT cause any OpenCL freezes if it´s not attached to any monitors??
In that case perhaps I can use my GTX 650 ti Boost as the card for my monitors? Or is that not an option..?

Thanks! :)

1) It's been covered in many forum posts, but yes it works native with GE=No and OpenCL works correctly

2) This question is perhaps over simplified. Will it matter? depends entirely on what you are doing. VRAM doesn't add any speed in the absolute sense. VRAM is specifically useful if you are working on larger resolution projects, or in other cases where larger amounts of data need to be processed from RAM. For instance with 4K projects it makes a huge difference. If you're in 1080p land and going to stay there for a good long while then it won't matter as much. It also depends on how many and of how high resolution your monitors connected to the 770 are, since the VRAM is shared between framebuffer needs of outputting the image on the monitor as well as to load data into for processing via CUDA and OCL. So you need to make that decision based on the type of work you are doing.

3)In what sense? if its Rev B it won't work any better than it does in a hack. the OCL bug has to do with the rev and the drivers, it has nothing to do with hackintoshes. Otherwise, it seems all 7XX cards should work in a mac pro albeit you will not get any display output until the OS has loaded. You won't see the apple boot logo or be able to access drive selection via ALT key, etc. If you have the slots you can always add the 780 as a second card and use it for processing without any monitor attached.

g\

4) Let me get this straight: Will the GTX780 WORK and NOT cause any OpenCL freezes if it´s not attached to any monitors??
In that case perhaps I can use my GTX 650 ti Boost as the card for my monitors? Or is that not an option..?

Oh good lord, re-read what i wrote. That is not at all the case.

You have a rev B card. Your OCL is broken. "Fix" it with MacAndOr's solution or move along.
g\

Well, I'm going to correct genzai a bit. Your assumption could quite be the case. While I was testing I didn't get OpenCL crash when my HD4000 was the primary GPU and I even managed to have them run at the same time, BUT as soon as an app comes and tries to harness the full power of the GTX780, then your stuck with the same OpenCL crash. The reason to this is that a lot of apps just simply use the fist GPU OpenCL device it can find (that will most likely be the one you set as primary display in your UEFI) and does not search for the best one, while professional applications for example (don't laugh) Pixelmator 3.1 actually utilises all available GPU devices and this is the part where you will get hit.

Basically you could connect it but most likely it would only be deadweight, except
  • if you use CUDA apps
  • don't connect any monitors to it
  • don't use optimized OpenCL apps that use all available OpenCL devices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back