Contribute
Register

GTX 780 crashes Premiere Pro CC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since that Apple is building the new Mac Pro with ATI cards, wouldn't be more future proof to choose one of them instead of Nvidia?Apparently they are also beeter with open CL and FCPX. Compressor and Motion. Any comments on this?

Good question, I used to think that too. From what I know, according to PJALM, nVidia cards are better for video editing, ATI/RADEON/AMD cards are better for gaming.

AFAIK only PJALM could really answer that question.

What you said does make sense though, but Im not sure it is that way and have a feeling it isnt.

These use nvidia in all other machines right now though. Unless they flip flop next generation again. Apple has traditionally switched back and forth though so generally the drivers for both hardware exists. With different ones taking point at different periods in time.

Well, I finally managed to stop the crashes!!!

What I did:
- Disabled GPU OpenCL support (FOR ALL GPUs, 64BIT APPS ONLY).
- CPU OpenCL is still supported (NOT IGPU)

What do you need to do it:

WARNING: USE AT OWN RISK, I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR DAMAGE, BLABLABLA (you know the deal...)
WARNING: TESTED ON 10.9.0
WARNING: DON'T FORGET TO BACKUP THE FRAMEWORK BEFORE MODIFYING

1, Open /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenCL.framework/Versions/A/OpenCL in a hex editor (ie.: Hex Fiend)

2, Replace E83DE10100F6C3057413 with E83DE10100F6C3007413
WARNING: THERE SOULD BE ONLY ONE MATCH

3, Resign the OpenCL framework with
sudo codesign -fs "<signing identity>" PATH_TO_OPENCL_EXECUTABLE

4, Restart

Why I won't share the binary:
Because I codesigned it :) sorry

Tested with:
Preview (jpg, png), Xcode (assistant view), LuxMark, Safari, and others

Have fun!

This could help: self signing certificate
https://developer.apple.com/library...l/CodeSigningGuide/Procedures/Procedures.html

Well, I finally managed to stop the crashes!!!

[

This is EXCELLENT work, bravo- and thanks for the contributions. Obviously this is far from ideal since many of the new and updated apps are leveraging openCL and this basically turns your fancy video card into a sleeping dragon. But at least this way you can use CUDA where supported and have a fully working system while we wait for new driver support.

can you test Premiere Pro CC? you can do a free trial, and it would be very helpful to know since if that launches i will be able to recommend getting 780(TI) cards again.

Thanks,
g\

Well, as far as I know, you need to be a registered developer. :crazy:

Not sure if a free membership will cover that.

I'm a registered developer. I'm still curious as to what it uses for the identity part. With that I can follow your instructions and see if it works or not for me. :)

This is EXCELLENT work, bravo- and thanks for the contributions. Obviously this is far from ideal since many of the new and updated apps are leveraging openCL and this basically turns your fancy video card into a sleeping dragon. But at least this way you can use CUDA where supported and have a fully working system while we wait for new driver support.

can you test Premiere Pro CC? you can do a free trial, and it would be very helpful to know since if that launches i will be able to recommend getting 780(TI) cards again.

Thanks,
g\

Hi,

The test:
- Premiere CC Trial
- New Project, software renderer (Switching to CUDA here crashed the OS o_O *)
- 1080p h264 source video
- Added about 10 accelerated effects
- Duplicated and added opacity to top layer
- Software renderer worked fine, but couldn't keep up (100% CPU on i7-3770, Red line for playback, no pre-render)
- Switched to CUDA (It was OK to switch in the project settings)
- That worked fine as well, and I did see a massive drop in CPU usage (Yellow line for playback, no pre-render, didn't see framedrops)
- Exited and reopened the project (with CUDA renderer), no crash

* Next time I created a new project and changed the renderer, nothing bad happened.

This is all I have time for now, hope it helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back