Contribute
Register

GTX 780 crashes Premiere Pro CC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I'm going to correct genzai a bit. ... Pixelmator 3.1 actually utilises all available GPU devices and this is the part where you will get hit.

Pixelmator is a very intelligently programmed app. if only more devs were that progressive.

Anyway, that makes a lot of sense but i don't think it contradicts what i was saying. Having a GK110B attached without monitors and without being able to use it for openCL makes pretty much no sense. I guess you COULD still use it to run CUDA on and possibly to run extra monitors off of if it's set as secondary, but if FCPX and a growing number of apps try to access it for openCL it crashes out anyway.

And I am pretty sure, for instance, Premiere Pro CC initializes OCL on all cards on launch even if you have it set to use CUDA so no love there either.

In other words, "meh..."

g\

Pixelmator is a very intelligently programmed app. if only more devs were that progressive.

Anyway, that makes a lot of sense but i don't think it contradicts what i was saying. Having a GK110B attached without monitors and without being able to use it for openCL makes pretty much no sense. I guess you COULD still use it to run CUDA on and possibly to run extra monitors off of if it's set as secondary, but if FCPX and a growing number of apps try to access it for openCL it crashes out anyway.

And I am pretty sure, for instance, Premiere Pro CC initializes OCL on all cards on launch even if you have it set to use CUDA so no love there either.

In other words, "meh..."

g\

Very true, if Premiere Pro looks up all OpenCL devices, then your f*cked.

@LasseBauer
To sum it up, yes it could work, but it's much more of a gamble then a good user experience.

So probably you have these options:
  • If you don't need powerhouse OpenCL under OS X but would like to get rid of the annoying crashes and (if this is a hackintosh) use the GPU normally under Windows (i.e. for gaming), then apply my patch
  • If you need massive GPU acceleration but it's only for CUDA (i.e. Adobe Premiere Pro) then apply my patch
  • If you need massive GPU acceleration but for OpenCL too, switch to a GTX 770

To give you a better tip, I would need to know how you use your computer.

Thanks again! :) :thumbup:

It answers quite a few of my questions.
As I can´t afford to spend more time experimenting and fiddling around with codes, patches etc, I think I will just bite the bullet and get a GTX 770 2gb.
Last Q: Apart from the fact that I might have to upgrade my PSU, will I be able to use, and take advantage of, BOTH my 770 and 780 together (if and when NVIDIA releases a working driver)...or will AE and PP only use one of the cards, hence not giving me any significant advantage using two cards?

I´ve read that when using two cards (non-SLI) these apps treat them both as the less powerful card in terms of speed, GB etc.
Just wondering if I need to sell one of the cards regardless.
Thanks! :)

Very true, if Premiere Pro looks up all OpenCL devices, then your f*cked.

@LasseBauer
To sum it up, yes it could work, but it's much more of a gamble then a good user experience.

So probably you have these options:
  • If you don't need powerhouse OpenCL under OS X but would like to get rid of the annoying crashes and (if this is a hackintosh) use the GPU normally under Windows (i.e. for gaming), then apply my patch
  • If you need massive GPU acceleration but it's only for CUDA (i.e. Adobe Premiere Pro) then apply my patch
  • If you need massive GPU acceleration but for OpenCL too, switch to a GTX 770

To give you a better tip, I would need to know how you use your computer.

Thanks again! :) :thumbup:

It answers quite a few of my questions.
As I can´t afford to spend more time experimenting and fiddling around with codes, patches etc, I think I will just bite the bullet and get a GTX 770 2gb.
Last Q: Apart from the fact that I might have to upgrade my PSU, will I be able to use, and take advantage of, BOTH my 770 and 780 together (if and when NVIDIA releases a working driver)...or will AE and PP only use one of the cards, hence not giving me any significant advantage using two cards?

I´ve read that when using two cards (non-SLI) these apps treat them both as the less powerful card in terms of speed, GB etc.
Just wondering if I need to sell one of the cards regardless.
Thanks! :)

You can already use Premiere Pro with my patch applied! But to answer your multi-GPU answer, I made a test.
I put a GTX 560 and GTX 780 together and what I got was (in PP):
  • 9 layers of ProRes 4K with sh*tload of effects/layer cannot make the GTX 780 sweat
  • Simple playback in editor did not even try to use multi GPU, only used the GTX 780
  • Exporting the project used both GPUs and the GTX 560 basically handicapped the GTX 780

I attached two images:
  • GPU usage while exporting project with GTX 560 + GTX 780
  • GPU usage while exporting project with GTX 780 only

Keep in mind that the GTX 770 + GTX 780 combo is MUCH closer in performance, so you would see much less handicapping.

Attachments

• GTX560+GTX780.jpg
    GTX560+GTX780.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 197
  • GTX780.jpg
    GTX780.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 207
Hi there,

Maybe not the right thread here but haven't found any other on Compressor + GTX-780, so I'm trying my luck here.

First of all I want to thank you all (especially MacAndor) for the patch to fix Open CL crashes. Worked perfectly for us with FCPX (10.1.1), FCP 7 and Motion 4 and 5 on 10.9.1 with the GTX-780 Revision 0x00a1 along with the last CUDA 5.5.28 driver version.

Now, unfortunately one problem persists with Compressor. Neither 3.5.., 4.07 or 4.1 versions will open in 10.9.1 with the GTX-780 installed. Results in a crash at splash screen with the following message:

"Compressor quit unexpectedly while using the Compressor plug-in."
[h=3]Relevant Line (In crash Analyser)[/h]0 libsystem_c.dylib 0x92dd97f0 strlen + 16

I tried everything related to Compressor maintenance tools: Repair, uninstall/reinstall with FCS Remover including erasing plists, history, layouts, settings and storage manually without success. All I know is that removing the GTX-780 fixes the crash immediately.

So my question is, has anyone encountered this problem too? And if so, has anyone any idea of how to fix this keeping both the GT-120 and GTX-780 in these good old Early 2009 MacPros?

Note that I am not a Terminal geek nor a developer but as Compressor 4.1 is my main concern in this thread I'm hoping I can contribute to others by discussing this problem.

Thanks in advance.

@TechInis

Could you tell me what was wrong with the A1 rev card? As far as I know, it should be fully supported. Are you sure it is a rev A1 card (Bios version 80.10.xx.xx => A1 or 80.80.xx.xx => B)?

I need more info, could you attach the crash report as a txt? (semi personal information is at the bottom of the report, I would like to see only the top part)

@MacAndor

Thanks for the fast reply. I looked up the BIOS version on card just to be certain and it is 80.80... so version B unfortunately. Revision ID in System Report says 0x00a1 however. Probably not related I guess?

Anyhow, I'm attaching here the crash report for Compressor 4.1.

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• Compressor_crash_ report.txt
    11.7 KB · Views: 151
@TechInis

It's the same bug, but the 32bit version is failing now...

• Create a backup of patched OpenCL (don't rewrite existing backup of original!)
  • Do NOT revert to original OpenCL
  • Patch with:
    Code:
     Search: E81EF901008B4508A8057418
    Replace: E81EF901008B4508A8007418
  • Re-sign! (very important)
  • Reboot, test and please report back!

Great news!

You were right MacAndor and the patch worked like a charm. Thanks again for your much appreciated support.

Last (newbie) question. I don't know if you are familiar with Davinci Resolve colour grading software but I've been wondering..

Will the patches prevent this software from using the GTX-780 as GPU for extra-performance or is it most likely to use CUDA drivers and doesn't mind skipping Open CL? Or have I got it all wrong? : )

I've been reading all over to find an answer but I'm still confused. Resolve's System Overview sees the GTX-780 under GPUs. We also have a GT-120 in the MacPro used for monitors. Davinci Resolve worked before the patches and still does. From my readings its possible AMDs use Open CL and NVIDIAs use CUDA for Resolve's GPU..very unsure about that.

The GTX-780 was mainly bought as GPU use for Davinci Resolve but since I'm not a user it's hard for me to tell. I create Deploy images for teachers. ; )

Do you think you or anyone can help?

Thanks again!

@TechInis

Davinci Resolve uses CUDA with the patch applied. The playback was not perfect and quite a sh*tload of CPU was used. The playback was much worse then what I get from Premiere Pro & CUDA. That handled the 4k and live effected it perfectly.

4k ProRes video and GPU usage during playback

Attachments

• DaV.jpg
    DaV.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 253
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back