Contribute
Register

GTX 660 glitch issue with MacOS High Sierra 10.13

Status
Not open for further replies.
exactly with last updates SH and like now mojave , work...in the next time , we don't know....
BAD is most of users have a super strong Nvidia 1xxx , no web drivers no cuda...and MUST see to RX card , also if not need...
RX card (580) no better of nvidia 1xxx....
the hard life for hachintosh users...

Latest Imac and Macbook pro 15" have real AMD 560,570 or 580. iMac pro have Vega. So until those hardwares will not be supported anymore (about 7-10 years), do not worry about next updates.

About Nvidia, wait. We always needed to wait many months but they always came out. Anyway, 10.13.6 is still a great MacOS, I am happy with that today. However, the 660 is dead for MacOS.

yeah it's always a risk. Technically, real macs do use kepler that support mojave but even those macs are experiencing performance issues since HS. If real macs are experiencing UI lag, etc and Apple has done nothing, rx 580 could easily be the next 660 in a few years. Hardware support in macOS is just absolutely terrible

yeah it's always a risk. Technically, real macs do use kepler that support mojave but even those macs are experiencing performance issues since HS. If real macs are experiencing UI lag, etc and Apple has done nothing, rx 580 could easily be the next 660 in a few years. Hardware support in macOS is just absolutely terrible

The setup I had was working fine, it was really rare to have glitches (actually, only with photos, everything else was working fine), in other hand, the overall performance was really bad. I was able to use CUDA and stuff, but the rest was terrible, lags here and there, even USB was a mix of performance and I can see the same issue in my macbook air sometimes. It feels like apple doesn't know how to make a slim OS anymore.

Hi Jimiz, I understand your point some time ago when I was struggling with my machine and wondering if it would not be better to buy a real iMac ... but the as usual the price performance for me is mac to expensive so I I continue with my Hack.
Anyway a great hack and sometime the have to adapt with hardware. good luck .))

i agree....
true ... Apple that little and nothing do in the software industry, like new developments (only ridiculous updates ...) has thought of breaking the mullets to the hacks, the nvidia case is not random, since mojave, nothing but just nothing offers more than sierra HIGH ...(if not much more incompatibility and problems).
so all still with sierra high? moreover, we do not lose anything at all?....... Oh yes (think apple) ?! ok. you'll see that at the next update of the apple softwares must .. or update to MOJAVE or you will not be able to update yourself with their softwares, and to make you jerk it will definitely put the sweets ...

the absurd cost of the MAC "could" also be motivated, by a powerful OS, significantly better than WIN 7 & 10, by non-existent hardware for PC / intel systems, much more powerful ... and especially exclusive powerful software, that the PC WIN dreams them ....

but it's not so !!!! ... exactly the opposite on every point ... except for the price that is and remains absurd.

that's why hack wins and remains, even with these problems (gfx card..) ... but surrender .. NEVER!

My system is a Zotac GTX 660, I'm installing Mojave, everything seem fine with my custom DSDT file, no flag or Webdrive, just native.

I come to this thread because the glitch happend with some java GUI app (rarely happended), not thought that it is that bad.

So maybe your guys can install Mojave to test.

Thanks!

More update: If I use 1980x1024 HiDPi (force-hidpi-resolutions-for-dell-u2515h-monitor), the glitch happened!

So maybe your guys can install Mojave to test.

iu

mojave (like the anothers osx) have NO problem to see and use the GTX 660 native...
never you need webdriver...BUT from the last 2 updates of sierra high and mojave (update 10.4.1 also...)
there is a BUG on driver nvidia internal , a bug meaby burn with "metal" change , od apple gfx cards...
THIS bug graphic, appears above all with complex graphic programs and softwares from videoediting ... try and you will see that playing with the effects,(final cut pro x).. the preview and all the graphics of the interface will be 'ruined by glitch horrendous!

you can practically do nothing! just small things with quiet programs.

solutions? because nobody knows if one day webdrivers-moyave will come out again, drivers cuda for video acceleration, or if APPLE will repair this bug that aflects the native NVIDAS ... there is only change the gfxcard with an AMD ATI .. the most convenient RX.
I just took a 580 8 GB and everything works fine, finished the problems "nvidia"
a pity so to disconnect the 660 ... but if you want mojave there is no 'alternative.
Be careful, however, because to show the mojave RX is not always a walk.
in my case (but I have known that afflicts so many others) ... black screens regardless !!!
I had in the bios DISABLE the CSM, fix the clover boot, because it had the busted graphics (bad low resolution), and also the HHD order mounted in the PC sata ports .... in the end I fixed and now everything is ok! bye bye GLITCH!

Last edited:
Some info in this thread is confusing to me and I am pretty sure sometimes it is just wrong. Yes, there are two version of the GTX 660, but one of them is OEM-only and they are both Kepler and therefore should be natively supported by macOS without any drivers or hacks, just like the 650 Ti is or the 760. I am also pretty sure the NVidia web drivers won't help at all with the GTX 660 since these drivers don't contain anything related to that model.

Anyway, I have done some experiments on this. I have created USB Unibeast sticks for Sierra, High Sierra and Mojave. Always the latest installer fresh from the App Store (so I guess 10.12.6, 10.13.6 and 10.14.1). CPU is a i5-6400, mainboard a ASROCK H110M-DGS, 2x 4 GB 2133 MHz RAM, 240 SanDisk SSD, Gigabyte GTX 660 with 2 GB. No NVidia web drivers, no other Clover options related to graphics etc.

If you use the CPU for orientation your system definition would be 17,1 (2015 iMacs), if you go by the GPU you could use 13,2 (2012 iMacs). Sierra installs no matter what def I use. High Sierra only installs with 13,2. With 17,1 I get a black screen after boot issue when I boot from the USB stick. Use 13,2 and you can install fine. Go back to 17,1 once High Sierra is installed and you again can't boot. Mojave dies booting from USB stick no matter what. I will experiment more with Mojave but it looks to me like there's a bug. The GTX 660 *should* work with Mojave, just like the 760 does (and I have such a setup running Mojave on a Haswell CPU). Apple does not list the 660 explicitely as compatible with Mojave, but it lists the 2012 iMac which contained a 660MX.

Yes, Mojave did remove support for some graphics cards and Broadcom WLAN cards. Yet as far as I know the 660 should still run Mojave. Apple lists the 680 as compatible with Apple saying you have to check the System Profiler to see if the GPU does support Metal. The 660 (device id: 0x11c0) under High Sierra says: Metal: Yes, function set macOS GPUFamily1 v3. With the 760 under Mojave the Profiler says: Yes, function set macOS GPUFamily1 v4. A good indicator for Metal capabilities is Pixelmator Pro. Try to start Pixelmator Pro on High Sierra and a Radeon 6870 you get an error saying that the hardware is not supported. On High Sierra with a 660 as well as on Mojave with a 760 it starts fine.

That's why I would think that Mojave having problems with the 660 is not the intended behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back