Contribute
Register

GTX 660 glitch issue with MacOS High Sierra 10.13

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also have the GTX 660 and I have the same problem, but I do not have it either. I explain, maybe it helps to find the solution.

I updated these days from Sierra to High Sierra (10.13.6). I've made two updates, the first one on my backup disk (HFS+) and when all was well I update on SSD, my main disk (APFS).

On the disk (HFS+) I never had problems, everything runs fine. On the SSD since I open Premiere Pro CC 18 or 19, the problems start. This does not happen in the disk version.

The versions of Nvidia and CUDA drivers are the same. So, my conclusion it is not a Graphic Card problem.
Very strange. Now I have to work on my backup installation.

Last edited:
woth mojave I do all the possible tests on SATA disk , on SSD disk...in APFS , in HFS....no change.
the best way is waiting...
SIERRA HIGH (non last updates , because are wrong like mojave drivers...)
work perfect with 660 , in native mode, and CUDA dirvers are perfect.

what softwares or special thing you lose , with mojave ? NOTHING!!!
also..mojave have few incompatible with plugs and softwares .

wait how long? long..mojave have somthing specila really important, more of sierra high , or...new softares update are no more supported for sierra high.
This can happen with apple softwares , but after long time waiting, today is come the new final cut pro x 10.4.4 , and still work also on sierra high...
like all the anothers software apple and not.

in this time..."MEABY"... nvidia update the CUDA dirver...
MEABY apple fix the bug in internal NVIDA DRIVER (for 5xx, 6xx, 7xx users!!)
MEABY apple/NVIDIA release a new WEB DRIVERS... for us and all the another 9xx, 10xx nvida users...

if not, and in time mojave is really better and with new software , no work any more in sierra high...ok is time to take a RX video card...withe the "litte" different , than now...a sapphire rx 580 8gb you pay around 250 euro... in few months, sure 150 !

"rx" amd ofcourse , resolve the problem ...but ..how long? rx 560,70,80 are not really native of mac hardware, are only lucky cards because working with a native driver ATI inside mojave OSX...

Lucky? Not in the least. They are natively supported because Apple added support for them in High Sierra and Mojave intentionally, to support eGPUs and other uses. We can expect this support to continue since Apple has to support them in future versions of MacOS now that it has added support for them.

That is why many of us switch to AMD RX cards in High Sierra and Mojave.

Can you tell us , where the RX 560,570,580 are inside a real MAC hardware?
It's only lucky, OS kext AMD gfx that support also them because thesome driver for AMD videocard real MAC...
Thesome what happen with many NVIDA 5.xx 6.xx 7.xx card , thanks the NVIDIA 760 i think , was the real card on one MAC model. For that , lucky all the anothers was working fine also if never was inside in real mac.
and what happen' ?! that with "metal" news, somethig wrong bug the NVIDIA driver inside, and now, ANY fof 5.xx 6.xx 7.xx have a horrible GLITCH bug...and don't thik APPLE have any interrsting to resolve.
MY questione is only one... RX card now is the easy solution...well, for how many time? sure you can't be.

Can you tell us , where the RX 560,570,580 are inside a real MAC hardware?

They specifically list the 580 as a recommended option for running Mojave on the 2010 and 2012 Mac Pro. They also list the 560 and 570 as possible alternatives.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208898

I guess you could make the argument that they’ll drop support for those when they drop support for those Mac Pro models, but I really doubt that’ll be the case. This is just a risk you take if you want to use a Hackintosh.

exactly with last updates SH and like now mojave , work...in the next time , we don't know....
BAD is most of users have a super strong Nvidia 1xxx , no web drivers no cuda...and MUST see to RX card , also if not need...
RX card (580) no better of nvidia 1xxx....
the hard life for hachintosh users...

exactly with last updates SH and like now mojave , work...in the next time , we don't know....
BAD is most of users have a super strong Nvidia 1xxx , no web drivers no cuda...and MUST see to RX card , also if not need...
RX card (580) no better of nvidia 1xxx....
the hard life for hachintosh users...

Latest Imac and Macbook pro 15" have real AMD 560,570 or 580. iMac pro have Vega. So until those hardwares will not be supported anymore (about 7-10 years), do not worry about next updates.

About Nvidia, wait. We always needed to wait many months but they always came out. Anyway, 10.13.6 is still a great MacOS, I am happy with that today. However, the 660 is dead for MacOS.

yeah it's always a risk. Technically, real macs do use kepler that support mojave but even those macs are experiencing performance issues since HS. If real macs are experiencing UI lag, etc and Apple has done nothing, rx 580 could easily be the next 660 in a few years. Hardware support in macOS is just absolutely terrible

yeah it's always a risk. Technically, real macs do use kepler that support mojave but even those macs are experiencing performance issues since HS. If real macs are experiencing UI lag, etc and Apple has done nothing, rx 580 could easily be the next 660 in a few years. Hardware support in macOS is just absolutely terrible

The setup I had was working fine, it was really rare to have glitches (actually, only with photos, everything else was working fine), in other hand, the overall performance was really bad. I was able to use CUDA and stuff, but the rest was terrible, lags here and there, even USB was a mix of performance and I can see the same issue in my macbook air sometimes. It feels like apple doesn't know how to make a slim OS anymore.

Hi Jimiz, I understand your point some time ago when I was struggling with my machine and wondering if it would not be better to buy a real iMac ... but the as usual the price performance for me is mac to expensive so I I continue with my Hack.
Anyway a great hack and sometime the have to adapt with hardware. good luck .))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back