Contribute
Register

GTX 660 glitch issue with MacOS High Sierra 10.13

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use a GTX 760 on my X99 build and it works great with Yosemite through High Sierra. Before I change to a RX 580 on my main system I also used a GTX 760 there. It worked great on Sierra and High Sierra.

So if you are looking for a used card to replace the GTX 660 Ti I recommend a GTX 760. It is natively supported from Yosemite through High Sierra at least.

Thank you for your kind advice. I might change the card and use High Sierra.
By the way, how do you know what is and what isn't supported natively? Is there a database about this thing somewhere, or what? :) Thx.

Last edited:
I hope so that I found solution.
https://github.com/Benjamin-Dobell/nvidia-update
I only paste to terminal

Code:
bash <(curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Benjamin-Dobell/nvidia-update/master/nvidia-update.sh)

Last and best nvidia driver has installed
And now its better that I hope.

No sorry after couple hours it glitch again :(
But less than before.

No sorry after couple hours it glitch again :(
But less than before.
At least you did something! I think lots of us appreciate it! Only to do to try it, just past this line of code into the terminal?
Thank you.

Yes only past and hit enter ;)
But after couple hours I think I will chage graphics card to radeon rx 570

Thank you for your kind advice. I might change the card and use High Sierra.

By the way, how do you know what is and what isn't supported natively? Is there a database about this thing somewhere, or what? :) Thx.

For AMD cards you can check the Radeon Compatibility Guide :
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/radeon-compatibility-guide-ati-amd-graphics-cards.171291/

For Nvidia cards, here is what I know :

Nvidia Kepler cards : GT 640 / GTX 650 / GTX 650 Ti / GTX 650 Ti Boost / GTX 660 / GTX 660 Ti / GTX 670 / GTX 680 are natively supported, but as you already know the GTX 660 and GTX 660 Ti are affected by graphics glitches in High Sierra. Other models in the list may also be affected.

Newer Kepler cards like GTX 760 and GTX 770 are also natively supported, but they don't seem to have the same graphics problems in High Sierra, and it seems they also work in Mojave.

Hi Everyone,

Is there a guaranteed way to cause the artifacts to show up?

I currently am running a 660ti in 10.13.4 and have had zero artifacts in my Mac Pro 3,1. Yes, I do have a Hackintosh and haven't tested (z68xp/2600k/660ti), but I have read in this massive thread that even Mac Pros should have the same issue.

I have been running it for months with no artifacts. I use VM, games, terminal, iMovie, watch videos... and have not found a single artifact.

I would be more than happy to try and cause artifacts with my system, and see if I can replicate it.

The only difference (and albeit a very small one), is that my 660ti is a Galaxy model with 3gb ram that was a very strange configuration back when I bought it. I'm wondering if it's the rom/3gb ram combination that might be the difference?

Thanks and any way I can test I would be more than happy to! (That includes me installing Mojave this weekend using DosDudes Patch)

Newer Kepler cards like GTX 760 and GTX 770 are also natively supported, but they don't seem to have the same graphics problems in High Sierra, and it seems they also work in Mojave.

Thank you, that is grate actually. I am not sure then all GTX 770 card could be OK? Or just nVidia? So can I buy a Gigabyte GTX or Asus GTX for example? Thank you.

Thank you, that is great actually. I am not sure then all GTX 770 card could be OK? Or just nVidia? So can I buy a Gigabyte GTX or Asus GTX for example? Thank you.

I have 3 GTX 760 cards (all 2 GB versions) in my possession, one bought new (Galaxy), the other two bought second hand (MSI and Inno3D). I have tested them all in Sierra and High Sierra (and Yosemite and El Capitan) and they all work fine.

I believe you can get a Gigabyte or Asus and they should also work.

Gents/Ladies

Ladies/Gents

My workaround for this is manual. Whenever I experience the glitch effect, I just power off my monitor and then power it on again.

I am unable to promise this will work for you, but it totally works for me. It's maybe 10 seconds, tops of interruption (It really depends on your monitor/display/tv/whatever_the_shit). I can live with that very easily, and I am very sure you can too.

Unless...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back