Contribute
Register

GTX 1060 performance on 10.13 High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno man, I'm using a vanilla install.

The change happened before 10.13.2 update, so I can rule that out as a cause, and it persists now. It's not a complete fix, but a bunch of things have become unbroken since I switched on SIP.

same here, 4k60hz, been very frustrating, especially since I upgraded to a 1070 TI just because my 970 (which was just fine otherwise) kept crashing WindowServer. I have noticed that the WindowServer CPU usage spikes to over 100% by just scrolling left & right on the zoom enabled task bar.
My touchbar MBP (hate the thing btw!) is perfectly smooth with either Intel or Radeon graphics enabled. Can't get WindowServer to use more than 50% CPU doing the same thing.
My old 2013 MBP (Geforce GT650M) is also perfectly smooth.

Really hate to spend more money on this after I just dropped $500 on the upgrade but thinking about finding the cheapest Radeon that will work well just to tie me over until Apple/NVidia sorts this out.

Thanks for the heads up, I was thinking a cheapie RX560 but I imagine it would be the same thing. Are both your monitors 4k?

I think I'll first try to get the lowly Intel 4600 going and see how that goes, haven't been gaming lately - just need to get my work done without my OS slowing me down!

I have to say I'm really surprised this isn't more widely reported? Does everyone not have this issue? If so, what is different?

Please tell me ASAP, if the OS is working better with Integrated Graphics, I'd rather use them with macOS.

No luck on getting the Intel going, even when taking out the Nvidia - giving up for tonight.

PS. curious observation, just after a reboot graphics seems pretty smooth and I can't get CPU usage for WindowServer over 75% - seems like it deteriorates over time... need to keep an eye on it's memory usage too, I've seen reports on Maxwell + 4k it leaks.

No luck on getting the Intel going, even when taking out the Nvidia - giving up for tonight.

PS. curious observation, just after a reboot graphics seems pretty smooth and I can't get CPU usage for WindowServer over 75% - seems like it deteriorates over time... need to keep an eye on it's memory usage too, I've seen reports on Maxwell + 4k it leaks.

It definitely degrades over time. It feels relatively snappy after a reboot, but over time it goes bad, esp. after sleep wake cycles. I checked gpu memory consumption and it is very high (6GB consumption with dual 4k monitors) according to iStat. The RX 580 is only using 800Mb when connected to the same monitors (but only one is working at the moment so I can't yet rule out that this is related to dual displays).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back