Contribute
Register

GTX 1060 performance on 10.13 High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm glad i found this i thought i was going insane. I get the pauses on the webpage above too.
Also, when doing keynote work.. with animations, there is stuttering rhere too.
I use Imac17,1 .. i have a 6700K, Z170a chipset and a GTX 1080ti.
also get no bad performance on macbook pro with AMD.
I have 3 x 4k screens connected,interesting what was said above regarding it being a multiscreen bug.
I have a VEGA64 and a AMD 560?? or 80 i think i can test.

I did try an install of 10.12.6 using the exact same hardware. 0 stutters - which suggests a graphics driver or OS issue.
Intterestingly enough, dragging windows between screens in Sierra is perfect, in HS there is a nasty pause as it moved between.

@acantril yup I know exactly what you're talking about. It's buttery smooth overall broken up by little 0.25-0.5s blips where the entire interface pauses then goes immediately back to smooth again. It's especially noticeable when resizing windows or dragging them from one monitor to the other rapidly.

So something even more interesting. My other half has a iMac .. the last model of non retina. Upgraded to High sierra... same performance issues. Tried booting an old sierra install.. 100% perfect. So its 100% something to do with HS .. and the gfx.
V. interesting is that it has a NVIDIA 680MX in it - so i wonder if its a NVIDIA driver issue on HS.

Going to check if the drivers for VEGA 64 are stable'ish .. and try that in my HS install.

So something even more interesting. My other half has a iMac .. the last model of non retina. Upgraded to High sierra... same performance issues. Tried booting an old sierra install.. 100% perfect. So its 100% something to do with HS .. and the gfx.
V. interesting is that it has a NVIDIA 680MX in it - so i wonder if its a NVIDIA driver issue on HS.

Going to check if the drivers for VEGA 64 are stable'ish .. and try that in my HS install.

Yes, I guess it's a real Apple + Nvidia driver bug, probably related to Metal. This thread has 8 pages of users with real macs containing all manner of Nvidia GPUs and complaining of the same problem. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8141739

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back