Contribute
Register

GTX 1060 performance on 10.13 High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
@esetnik Very stuttery on 1080ti Strix High Sierra 378.10.10.10.20.109. I checked it with 1060 - same thing. Thinking about buying AMD card just for my hack. Any other options?

@kikkerr4 I haven’t tried Vega yet because I don’t have one on hand. I’d be curious to see if it works out for you. I have not found any other solution to solve the poor nvidia performance. I’m holding out hope for 10.13.2 and new nvidia web drivers but otherwise I’m going to unload my 1080 TI and try to get Vega 64. If you do make the switch let me know if it solves your issues.

After using editing apps like Final Cut Pro X or After Effects for a while, my 1060 starts going haywire (artifacting, rapidly flickering windows, repainting etc). There is also general sluggishness (especially within OS ui) like stuttering when I drag windows between 2 screens. Is there an AMD equivalent (gaming and production) I can trade for?

The RX Vega 64 is the GPU coming with the newly announced and yet to be released iMac Pro (iMac19,1). It’s relatively comparable to the high end nvidia pascal gpus. I’m not sure if Mac OS X 10.13 is properly supporting those cards yet. It’s possible they won’t be fully functional until the release of iMac Pro.

@hockeycrush can you run http://madebyevan.com/webgl-water/ smoothly on 1080 TI? I can run it extremely smoothly on 2016 MBP with Radeon Pro 460 4GB, but it stutters and lags on the 1080 TI.

Can confirm that this runs smoothly for me with latest NVIDIA driver (20.109). Did not do this test beforehand, but the performance boost in finder / chrome has been noticeable.

EDIT: After a few minutes, it now runs with a short 'delay' every second or so. In other words, it is smooth, but with periodic 'freezing' for a very short time (half a second?). Seems things are not entirely fixed..

@hockeycrush ok yeah so you’re seeing the exact same thing as me. It feels smooth but it lags every few seconds. It’s absolutely smooth on my MBP with no skipping at all.
Yeah, it was working smoothly for a short time and then degraded to this performance that you describe. But it is still a world away from how bad its performance was for me before the webdriver update. It seems they're getting a grip on the problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back