Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
GPU manufacturer affects compatibility?

Hey,
I need help. I'm a hackintosh n00b, just starting to put together my first build.
I was browsing through the hardware compatibilty list and I noticed that GTX 760 had 4 options EVGA, ASUS, GIGABYTE & MSI OC'd version. I was just wondering (this is probably a very stupid question :rolleyes:) if the non OC version will work as well (N760TF2GD5)?

They will all work fine, but depending on your specific needs, you might want to grab the fastest card you can get your hands on...or possibly even a 770.

I haven't used AMD in a while (got sick of all the crossfire driver upgrade headaches on Windows) but any nVidia GTX 600 or 700 series card should work fine on OS X 10.9.2 (and Windows 7/8 if you plan to dual boot). If you plan to do any gaming, a GTX 700 series card would be a good idea. I would stay away from the Intel integrated GPU (I always disable it on my PC builds). Intel has made some progress but they are still pretty horrible for gaming.

My current 2014 Hack Pro is using a GTX 690 which is basically two GTX 680 GPUs on a single card which does a nice job for gaming on OS X and driving two 27 panels at 2560x1440. Unfortunately, OS X does not support SLI.

In contrast, my gaming rig (Windows 7 Enterprise 64 Bit) is triple SLI using GTX 780s.

Either way, I would advise to always double check the forums on the exact parts you are thinking to purchase before you pull the trigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back