Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z690 Aero G + i5-12600K + AMD RX 6800 XT

A little comparison... synthetic.. but the amount of wattage at load is amazing on the macbook

1650495479730.png

1650495992563.png

Last edited:
Yup that’s about what I figured. I would imagine getting the code out of the Apple silicon would be difficult anyway. Not like they are making all the diagnostic tool available for us to use
Well...if you've not read it yet, Asahi Linux has already done that (believe it or not). They've managed to reverse engineer it for Linux (and find) the functions of the M1 Mac using physical debugging tools and scripts. According to them, despite the Apple M1 not sharing designs with any other ARM chipset, they found they still have a close relative and that is the Samsung Exynos platform. I read they said between them they share a lot of common parts and architectures including an I²C bus which goes all the way back to PowerPC times (as it comes from PASemi, the company Apple bought to make the Apple A & M1 chips). The I²C bus is also shared with an Amiga X1000 but that system they said had a very basic Linux driver (but one Asahi Linux is working on as basis to improve connectivity with the M1 Mac). As Samsung recently joined forces with AMD to create the Exynos PC platform we may actually have a viable non-Intel hackintosh alternative in the near future if/when macOS gets ported over to it.

I have no issues with my TB4 :)
View attachment 546326
View attachment 546329

As you can see.. its JHL8440 and Intel Maple Ridge are JHL8540 / JHL8340

But how much of a difference is there?
Let me try that on my M1 Max MacBook Pro. I never saw that before.

Update: Just booted the M1 Max MacBook Pro and sure enough there's no JHL8440. If you look closely, the JHL8440 is connected to IOThunderboltSwitch@7, which means it is inside of a connected Thunderbolt peripheral and not inside the MacBook Pro. Thunderbolt peripherals also contain Thunderbolt controller chips.

Side note: I am most likely incorrect when I stated earlier that Thunderbolt firmware needs to be compiled for the same CPU architecture as the host. The firmware may well be executed by the controller itself and hence is independent of the host CPU architecture.

Last edited:
Well...if you've not read it yet, Asahi Linux has already done that (believe it or not). They've managed to reverse engineer it for Linux (and find) the functions of the M1 Mac using physical debugging tools and scripts. According to them, despite the Apple M1 not sharing designs with any other ARM chipset, they found they still have a close relative and that is the Samsung Exynos platform. I read they said between them they share a lot of common parts and architectures including an I²C bus which goes all the way back to PowerPC times (as it comes from PASemi, the company Apple bought to make the Apple A & M1 chips). The I²C bus is also shared with an Amiga X1000 but that system they said had a very basic Linux driver (but one Asahi Linux is working on as basis to improve connectivity with the M1 Mac). As Samsung recently joined forces with AMD to create the Exynos PC platform we may actually have a viable non-Intel hackintosh alternative in the near future if/when macOS gets ported over to it.
I have the alpha version of Asahi Linux on my M1 Max MacBook Pro, but Thunderbolt support is not yet available.

Last edited:
As Samsung recently joined forces with AMD to create the Exynos PC platform we may actually have a viable non-Intel hackintosh alternative in the near future if/when macOS gets ported over to it.
Except that this ARM desktop platform will have none of the custom accelerators and enclaves of AppleSilicon.
Asahi Linux can just ignore these extra features. MacOS will want its Neural Engine and its video encoders; emulation with general purpose ARM cores may not be easy, and is unlikely to be satisfactory performance-wise.

Good choice! Do note, however, that this board does not have on-board Thunderbolt. If Thunderbolt is needed, we recommend GC-Titan Ridge only at this time.
Hello, can the Gigabyte z690 UD DDR4 motherboard support GC Titan Ridge? Or can you only use GC Maple Ridge?

Let me try that on my M1 Max MacBook Pro. I never saw that before.

Update: Just booted the M1 Max MacBook Pro and sure enough there's no JHL8440. If you look closely, the JHL8440 is connected to IOThunderboltSwitch@7, which means it is inside of a connected Thunderbolt peripheral and not inside the MacBook Pro. Thunderbolt peripherals also contain Thunderbolt controller chips.

Side note: I am most likely incorrect when I stated earlier that Thunderbolt firmware needs to be compiled for the same CPU architecture as the host. The firmware may well be executed by the controller itself and hence is independent of the host CPU architecture.
You are 100% correct! The JHL8440 is actually the controller on the OWC TB4 Dock!

Hello, can the Gigabyte z690 UD DDR4 motherboard support GC Titan Ridge? Or can you only use GC Maple Ridge?
The Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4 has 2 Thunderbolt headers. GC-Titan Ridge will work. We recommend using the 5-pin header. But it’s best to flash the GC-Titan Ridge firmware.

I have no issues with my TB4 :)
View attachment 546326
View attachment 546329

As you can see.. its JHL8440 and Intel Maple Ridge are JHL8540 / JHL8340

But how much of a difference is there?
JHL8440 is the code name for Goshen Ridge which is the chip inside of TB4 docks that enables up to 3 downstream TB4 ports. An upgrade from Titan Ridge which is still good in its own right.

Apple’s TB4 implementation conforms to the TB4 standard, but as far as we know, it is Apple’s own Silicon implementation, not Intel’s.

Edit: just noticed you found that out lol.

The Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4 has 2 Thunderbolt headers. GC-Titan Ridge will work. We recommend using the 5-pin header. But it’s best to flash the GC-Titan Ridge firmware.
Thank you very much. Can GC Titan ridge firmware refresh not be performed in windows? Need to use raspberry pie 3B or above? Please provide the website of refreshing firmware tutorial.

Back