Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

We have listed all the known conditions under which the Wi-Fi/Ethernet problem occurs. One should check if their system has all of those conditions.

BIOS parameters are listed in Post 1 so it's not strictly necessary to make a backup. I usually recommend against backing up BIOS parameters because they could have been altered. So it's good to configure them again, starting with Load Optimized Defaults.

At the top of Post 1 we have this:

View attachment 565515

So it's okay to install F20.
I did a CMOS reset, and also updated to F20 with no issues, but sadly still no 2.5 Ethernet. It says disconnected in the BIOS. I think I may have to flash the port, like the issue some have had with Monterry and that ethernet port. It does just not show up in OS preferences. Only the 219 ethernet is active.

Last edited:
just to confirm this works perfect with VT-D enabled. Apple watch unlock is buggy and has not worked correctly yet but I do not mind as airdrop is really what I want.

Ideally if we can figure out a patch for the native Broadcom card it would be an early Xmas.

Cliff
If you’re running Ventura…

How does the ethernet work on your Z490 ? Do you have VT-D enabled ?
On my Z490 Vision D, I have AppleVTD running (dropped original DMAR/load modified DMAR). The I225-V, the AQC107 and my BCM943602CDP are working fine, too.

If we're moving from a Gigabyte Z490 Vision D to a Gigabyte Z690 Aero G with DDR4 memory, we can in fact carry over all of these parts:
  • DDR4 memory
  • Power supply
  • Possibly even the CPU cooler, but that depends on the CPU you have now and the new CPU you plan to use; different CPUs generate different amounts of heat (TDP), so the CPU cooler must be rated to handle the new CPU
  • Everything else can be reused except of course the (a) Motherboard and (b) CPU
A fresh installation is a good idea, but not strictly necessary. On the Gigabyte Z690 Aero G, we need to use product name MacPro7,1 so it would be best to generate all new serial numbers. This might cause some iCloud confusion. But we can always try it and see what happens.

I generally recommend a fresh installation with new serial numbers. Then we can either (a) manually copy all our documents, files and applications to the new system or use Migration Assistant.
Just an update for anyone curious:

Aside from my own stupidity (failing to update OpenCore to 9.1...) it worked like a charm. At this point I'm still testing, but the 8.3 EFI, copied to a USB Flash Disk and then updated with Opencore Configurator, led directly into the OS with only the need to log back into iCloud.

I'm still testing, but so far, everything appears to work brilliantly. Thanks, once again, everyone for the work and effort you all put into making this possible!

@starchyfind Ok, then you are the second one who is not affected by these problems. Which BIOS version are you using?

If you’re running Ventura…
Awesome, I was using a temp solution of an Archer USB Wi-Fi adapter so that may of not helped either.
Thank you CaseySJ for the very in depth report on fixing the VTD/Wi-Fi bug we all experienced on 13.3 and explaining your reasoning and conclusion.
- everyday a school day. You got credited too on opencore 0.9.2! Great to see!

@starchyfind Ok, then you are the second one who is not affected by these problems. Which BIOS version are you using?
Do you have iGPU disabled in BIOS? If so, try enabling it to see if you are affected. I know someone mentioned not having the issue on SMBIOS MacPro7,1 but it make sense that someone also did not have iGPU enabled in BIOS.

@juseon123 You are indeed right. It is really the iGPU that is causing the problem. I initially suspected the CNVi Intel WiFi module, but after reinstalling it for testing purposes, this suspicion was not confirmed. After your hint with the iGPU, I set up a test system with iMac20,2 SMBIOS and accordingly with activated iGPU. The result after finished installation, was a non-functioning WiFi. Since I run my systems with the iMacPro SMBIOS and disabled iGPU, I was of course not affected.

Hello! I've been using this system for 2.5 years and never experienced a single problem. I am still on Big Sur 11.2.3 and have not made any changes since that update. I think my opencore version is still the one from October 2020 when I first installed the system. But I'm finally thinking of upgrading to Ventura. Can I do that directly from 11.2.3?

Also, I currently have a 512GB SDD. I want to upgrade it to a 1TB. Can I use Disk Utility Restore function to create a clone and be able to immediately use the clone on the 1TB to boot?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Back