Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Hello! I've been using this system for 2.5 years and never experienced a single problem. I am still on Big Sur 11.2.3 and have not made any changes since that update. I think my opencore version is still the one from October 2020 when I first installed the system. But I'm finally thinking of upgrading to Ventura. Can I do that directly from 11.2.3?

Also, I currently have a 512GB SDD. I want to upgrade it to a 1TB. Can I use Disk Utility Restore function to create a clone and be able to immediately use the clone on the 1TB to boot?

Thanks in advance for the advice!
A handful of users have recently gone through this process. A direct upgrade from Big Sur to Ventura is possible, but very likely it will fail.

Recommendations:
  • Make a full bootable backup of Big Sur
    • See STEP 11 of this post
    • If you skip this step you might lose all your files and applications
  • Test the backup disk to make sure it works then set it aside
    • It must be an external disk
    • An NVMe or SATA SSD in a USB 3.0 enclosure works well
  • NOTE: Samsung NVMe SSDs are no longer recommended because trim does not work and boot times can increase substantially
  • Which version of OpenCore are you using?
    • Simply run Hackintool and select Boot tab
      Screen Shot 2023-04-09 at 4.14.34 PM.png
  • If it's older than 0.6.6 then it will be necessary to install the OpenCore 0.8.3 EFI folder from Post 1 and copy serial numbers from current config.plist -> PlatformInfo -> DataHub into the new config.plist.
    • After installing OpenCore 0.8.3, boot the system to make sure it works
  • Download and run latest version of HackinDROM app
    • Then follow the link at the top of Post 1 called Update to latest OpenCore by following this guide for instructions on using HackinDROM
  • After OpenCore 0.9.1 has been installed, reboot and make sure system works
  • Now attempt an in-place upgrade from Big Sur to Ventura
  • If the process fails, it will be necessary to make a fresh installation of Ventura and:
    • Either use Migration Assistant to transfer files and apps to Ventura
    • Manually copy files and reinstall applications

A handful of users have recently gone through this process. A direct upgrade from Big Sur to Ventura is possible, but very likely it will fail.

Recommendations:
  • NOTE: Samsung NVMe SSDs are no longer recommended because trim does not work and boot times can increase substantially
  • If it's older than 0.6.6 then it will be necessary to install the OpenCore 0.8.3 EFI folder from Post 1 and copy serial numbers from current config.plist -> PlatformInfo -> DataHub into the new config.plist.
    • Then follow the link at the top of Post 1 called Update to latest OpenCore by following this guide for instructions on using HackinDROM
  • If the process fails, it will be necessary to make a fresh installation of Ventura and:
Very well written explanations!

Do you have iGPU disabled in BIOS? If so, try enabling it to see if you are affected. I know someone mentioned not having the issue on SMBIOS MacPro7,1 but it make sense that someone also did not have iGPU enabled in BIOS.
I just checked and it's set to auto. I was expecting disabled as that's what I've typically set it to all the other times I've reconfigured BIOS settings.

I've been running F21 for a while (gotta be at least a year).

I just checked and it's set to auto. I was expecting disabled as that's what I've typically set it to all the other times I've reconfigured BIOS settings.

I've been running F21 for a while (gotta be at least a year).
If i9-11900K is what you have, you wouldn't have functioning iGPU in macOS since it's not supported. It may be the reason why you are not experiencing the behavior whether the iGPU is set to auto or disabled.

Recommendations:
Thank you very much @CaseySJ ! In this case, I think I'll update to Monterey first and then Ventura.

Regarding the bootable backup, can I use the same to move my system from a 512GB SSD to a 1TB?

Thank you very much @CaseySJ ! In this case, I think I'll update to Monterey first and then Ventura.
The same concerns apply to Monterey as well, so we should always start with a full bootable backup.

Regarding the bootable backup, can I use the same to move my system from a 512GB SSD to a 1TB?
Yes, no problem.

If i9-11900K is what you have, you wouldn't have functioning iGPU in macOS since it's not supported. It may be the reason why you are not experiencing the behavior whether the iGPU is set to auto or disabled.
Ah, that might be it. Intel UHD Graphics 750 aren't supported?

Now we have 2 conditions under which the problem does not occur:
  1. 16GB memory or less
  2. iGPU disabled or not natively supported
I'll see if I can add condition #2 to the OpenCore 0.9.2 documentation.

Any iGPU later than Intel 10th generation are not supported as Apple never used them in Macs.

The same concerns apply to Monterey as well, so we should always start with a full bootable backup.

Yes, no problem.
Hello @CaseySJ !

I was able to upgrade to Monterey using the guide you provided and it worked!

I initially wrote here that I had problems with my QNAP Thunderbolt to 10GbE adapter but I was able to solve the problem myself by redownloading a new copy of the EFI folder for 0.8.3 and then running HackinDROM again.

I am not able to turn on Bluetooth yet but I will try to find a way how to fix that.

Thank you very much!

Last edited:
Back