Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Thanks for this excellent tutorial. I made the switch to OC and this new build. Managed to get everything up and running in record time (for me) thanks to Casey and all the information in this thread.

There’s one thing I cannot get working. I’m using two DP displays and trying unsuccessfully to connect a flat screen TV to the HDMI port .

No problems with the DP monitors but I can’t get the TV signal. The TV is correctly recognized along with the two DP monitors, but it remains black and says “no signal “ . I’ve tried many things, rebooting many times with one DP monitor plus HDMI or HDMI only, etc.Tried all settings for Hz 20, 40 50 and 60 Hz Never a signal detected. The ports I'm using are on the RX 5500, I've set the iGPU as headless. Hardware acceleration works, so I guess I've got it set up right.

HDMI out worked with my previous build and if I plus in my MacAir to the same TV HDMI port it gets a signal.

Do I need to adjust something in my EFI for my Gigabyte RX 5500 XT OC 8G, since I know the Casey’s EFI that I'm using was built for an RX 580.

Any input greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Thanks for this excellent tutorial. I made the switch to OC and this new build. Managed to get everything up and running in record time (for me) thanks to Casey and all the information in this thread.

There’s one thing I cannot get working. I’m using two DP displays and trying unsuccessfully to connect a flat screen TV to the HDMI port .

No problems with the DP monitors but I can’t get the TV signal. The TV is correctly recognized along with the two DP monitors, but it remains black and says “no signal “ . I’ve tried many things, rebooting many times with one DP monitor plus HDMI or HDMI only, etc.Tried all settings for MHz 20, 40 50 and 60 MHz Never a signal detected. The ports I'm using are on the RX 5700, I've set the iGPU as headless. Hardware acceleration works, so I guess I've got it set up right.

HDMI out worked with my previous build and if I plus in my MacAir to the same TV HDMI port it gets a signal.

Do I need to adjust something in my EFI for my Gigabyte RX 5700 XT OC 8G, since I know the Casey’s EFI that I'm using was built for an RX 580.

Any input greatly appreciated.
Hello @JohnSRQ,

Couple quick comments about HDMI connection to TV:
  • Modes such as Deep Color, HDR, and Wide Color must be turned off in the TV.
  • Some TVs have special instructions for connecting to a PC or gaming console. Please check the TV's documentation.

Hey, I would like to upgrade to 10.15.7 from 10.15.6 and to OC 062 from 061 but I still haven't created my bootable backup yet... so say I create it on a 2TB External HDD Seagate Backup Plus Slim,
Will I be able to store other files like photos, videos besides the boot files? also, will I be able to connect it to windows and move files from windows into that drive? or only from macOS?

Hey, I would like to upgrade to 10.15.7 from 10.15.6 and to OC 062 from 061 but I still haven't created my bootable backup yet... so say I create it on a 2TB External HDD Seagate Backup Plus Slim,
Will I be able to store other files like photos, videos besides the boot files? also, will I be able to connect it to windows and move files from windows into that drive? or only from macOS?
How much space is used in your main macOS SSD?

On my B550 Vision D Ryzentosh, just about 100GB is used. This means I can use even a cheap 128GB SATA SSD connected to a USB 3 enclosure, such as these items:
Because SATA SSDs are so cheap, I typically use 256GB versions. On my main system, the System folder and the Home folder are on separate SSDs, which makes backups much easier because the System disk is typically less than 100GB, whereas my Home disk (on my main system) is several TB.

I do not recommend spinning hard drives as backup drives. They're too slow and you will rarely keep them up-to-date because of that. So it's best to use a dedicated (inexpensive) SATA SSD.
Screen Shot 2020-10-18 at 6.40.12 AM.png

Because SATA SSDs are so cheap, I typically use 256GB versions. On my main system, the System folder and the Home folder are on separate SSDs, which makes backups much easier because the System disk is typically less than 100GB, whereas my Home disk (on my main system) is several TB.
Due to current oversupply of NAND Flash the prices of larger drives are predicted to go even lower next month and in December. So be looking for those 256 and 512GB drives to have a really low price soon. Great for those that need more capacity on their primary drive. I plan on stocking up on SSD storage during the "Black November" sales right around the corner.

Because this is not an absolute, but a matter of choice, I have added NOTE 7 to the top of Post 1. People are free to choose any CPU and if it does throttle, then they can research options for solving or mitigating the problem. Our responsibility is only to make the issue known and offer advice.

View attachment 492223
Thank you a lot for all the work and time in maintaining this thread ! Love from Italy !

How much space is used in your main macOS SSD?

On my B550 Vision D Ryzentosh, just about 100GB is used. This means I can use even a cheap 128GB SATA SSD connected to a USB 3 enclosure, such as these items:

I do not recommend spinning hard drives as backup drives. They're too slow and you will rarely keep them up-to-date because of that. So it's best to use a dedicated (inexpensive) SATA SSD.
View attachment 492245

When you say that spinning hard drives are "too slow" you mean slow when booting or slow when transferring files? because honestly I dont mind waiting a couple of more minutes for my system to boot from the external drive since it isn't my main drive you know. But, if you mean too slow on speeds then that might actually be a dealbreaker for me.

Currently 87gb/500gb used in my Catalina SSD but actually it doesn't matter, because I want it to be a bootable mac backup and also a drive where I can store other data like photos, videos (Copy data from windows/mac into HDD)

When you say that spinning hard drives are "too slow" you mean slow when booting or slow when transferring files? because honestly I dont mind waiting a couple of more minutes for my system to boot from the external drive since it isn't my main drive you know. But, if you mean too slow on speeds then that might actually be a dealbreaker for me.

Currently 87gb/500gb used in my Catalina SSD but actually it doesn't matter, because I want it to be a bootable mac backup and also a drive where I can store other data like photos, videos (Copy data from windows/mac into HDD)
A backup disk must be an exact clone, which means nothing else should be stored on that volume. However, it is perfectly viable to create two APFS Volumes on a larger hard drive and use one volume for backup and the other volume for anything else.

Please see Tech Talk: APFS Volumes and Reasons for Using.

To begin, format the large drive as a single APFS Volume with Scheme = GUID Partition Map. Then use Disk Utility to create one more APFS volume on the same hard drive as explained in the Tech Talk article.

@CaseySJ - Thanks again and here is my newest build:

New parts

Gigabyte Z490 Vision-D Motherboard with Built-In Thunderbolt 3 (Titan Ridge) Controller
Intel Core i7-10700 Comet Lake 8-Core 2.9 GHz LGA 1200 65W UHD Graphics 630
BeQuiet! Pure Base 500DX
Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe PCIe NVMe SSD - Used for OS and Apps
Maya44 eX PCIe Audio Interface

Re-used parts

GSkill 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4
Saphire Radeon VII
Fenvi FV-T919 WiFi / Bluetooth Wireless Card
Samsung 28" UE510 4K UHD monitor

I have Catalina on Sabrent SSD, MS Windows 10 Pro on a Samsung.

Everything is working very well and I have a Sabrent 1TB Rocket 4.0 coming this week, for the Big Sur install.

Thank you again for all your work and help!

A backup disk must be an exact clone, which means nothing else should be stored on that volume. However, it is perfectly viable to create two APFS Volumes on a larger hard drive and use one volume for backup and the other volume for anything else.

Please see Tech Talk: APFS Volumes and Reasons for Using.

To begin, format the large drive as a single APFS Volume with Scheme = GUID Partition Map. Then use Disk Utility to create one more APFS volume on the same hard drive as explained in the Tech Talk article.
I actually tried this and created an additional volume according to the link about APFS volumes but now it doesn't even let me log into my user... maybe because I renamed it? What can I do to solve this?

Attachments

• 20201019_122124.jpg
    20201019_122124.jpg
    7.4 MB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Back