Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

I think you’re right.

@DominiqueGormand, please set it to Default (not Disabled).

@Stork, please try Default as well. So much for trying to rely on memory for all these details!

Hello Casey, just a personal battle I have here, as I find a lot of people having new systems with Intel K CPUs that are throttling because of CPU or VRM temperatures (when they go liquid they often forget to cool down VRMs area) you could maybe add a suggestion about skipping the K and go with the plain 10900?

As I stated before, these are the power/performance tests I carried out using Cinebench r15 on Windows with no undervolt

10900 engineering sample: 110w, 2240 points

10900 standard : 190w, 2460 points

10900k : 320w, 2650 points

The scores on macos are usually a couple percent points slower.

These are all on Vision D builds. The es can go with a 120mm cooler, the standard needs a 140mm, the K ... I can't imagine anyone running that thing for continuous workload, where the system will throttle it down because of cpu or VRM thermals .

Even though the 10900 is rated at 65w, z490 boards will set it unlimited anyway, so it will always run 4,4ghz all core and ther's where it takes around 190w .

The integrated cooler in the 10900 is useless, but it's nice to have a spare.

EDIT actually the 10900k does not throttle to 180w for the time being on this board because of 28s PL as it's not enforced, just like the 10900 never gets throttled to 65w ever. It's just vrm / cpu thermals

Last edited:
Hi, there! My machine is configured as 10700K + Asus Z490-P + 5700XT with 10.15.7 .
Now I ehave a problem, I hope someone can help me!
First of all, I used OC's official ACPI patch (in COMET LAKE documentation), which included ssDt-plug, SSDt-EC-USBX, SSDT-Rhub,SSDT-GPRW, and kext folder haved the usbinjects.kext, but now in hackintool, USB port is blank, there is no port. In addition, I have turned on the xHCI port limited option in config.
I have a way to search for others in Google is to delete the ssdt-rhub.aml to show the USB port, but I tried to do so,and all USB devices cannot work after booting up, the mouse and keyboard cannot work properly.
Oh, The above text I use translation software, I hope you can understand. My English is not very good!

I think you’re right.

@DominiqueGormand, please set it to Default (not Disabled).

@Stork, please try Default as well. So much for trying to rely on memory for all these details!

You are probably mixing up the AMD and Intel boards. Intel has it as Default and AMD it must be Disabled. You can relax, your memory isn't going - unlike mine that went years ago, if I remember right :)

Does the USB disk contain an EFI partition?
Have you tried different USB ports? Including USB 3.0 ports?

Final option would be to re-flash the BIOS!
Thanks again for your advice.

I couldn't refresh the BIOS in any of the normal ways as I was unable to detect ant USB sticks with the Bios Flash File even with Q-Flash or Q-Flash+.

I managed to succeed in the end only by using the Gigabyte Bios Flash Utility in Windows.

I upgraded to BIOS F6 (Remember to Disable CFG-Lock). The problem has now been resolved as I am able to detect Bootable USB Sticks again during Boot. Very strange problem that I have never come across before!

Just need to sort out why I am still getting regular hangs at the Gigabyte Splash Screen. I will go down the Graphics Card route next as you have suggested somewhere along the line. I will remove my Sapphire 5700XT and try something different although I hope that is not the cause. Gigabyte have requested that I check that there are no bent pins on the CPU! I didn't think there were any pins??

You are probably mixing up the AMD and Intel boards. Intel has it as Default and AMD it must be Disabled. You can relax, your memory isn't going - unlike mine that went years ago, if I remember right :)
Quite right! I was testing OpenIntelWireless on the AMD B550 Vision D with SecureBootModel set to Disabled (it works).

Hi, there! My machine is configured as 10700K + Asus Z490-P + 5700XT with 10.15.7 .
Now I ehave a problem, I hope someone can help me!
First of all, I used OC's official ACPI patch (in COMET LAKE documentation), which included ssDt-plug, SSDt-EC-USBX, SSDT-Rhub,SSDT-GPRW, and kext folder haved the usbinjects.kext, but now in hackintool, USB port is blank, there is no port. In addition, I have turned on the xHCI port limited option in config.
I have a way to search for others in Google is to delete the ssdt-rhub.aml to show the USB port, but I tried to do so,and all USB devices cannot work after booting up, the mouse and keyboard cannot work properly.
Oh, The above text I use translation software, I hope you can understand. My English is not very good!
Hello @tsgo606,

Please do the following:
  • Boot the system normally (with SSDT-RHUB.aml enabled).
  • Download IORegistryExplorer from GitHub (click here).
  • Run IORegistryExplorer and select File --> Save As..., then post the saved file.
  • Also compress and post your EFI folder.

Hello Casey, just a personal battle I have here, as I find a lot of people having new systems with Intel K CPUs that are throttling because of CPU or VRM temperatures (when they go liquid they often forget to cool down VRMs area) you could maybe add a suggestion about skipping the K and go with the plain 10900?

As I stated before, these are the power/performance tests I carried out using Cinebench r15 on Windows with no undervolt

10900 engineering sample: 110w, 2240 points

10900 standard : 190w, 2460 points

10900k : 320w, 2650 points

These are all on Vision D builds. The es can go with a 120mm cooler, the standard needs a 140mm, the K ... I can't imagine anyone running that thing for continuous workload, and the system will throttle it down to 180w after 28seconds. Yhus providing same performance as the stock model.
Because this is not an absolute, but a matter of choice, I have added NOTE 7 to the top of Post 1. People are free to choose any CPU and if it does throttle, then they can research options for solving or mitigating the problem. Our responsibility is only to make the issue known and offer advice.

Screen Shot 2020-10-18 at 4.07.53 AM.png

Back