Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

I actually tried this and created an additional volume according to the link about APFS volumes but now it doesn't even let me log into my user... maybe because I renamed it? What can I do to solve this?
What exactly was done? And on which disk was it done? Was the internal macOS SSD left untouched?

What exactly was done? And on which disk was it done? Was the internal macOS SSD left untouched?
I did exacly as said in the APFS guide, created a new volume in Catalina SSD, it told me to restart my system so I did. Then I see the new mac screen and it asked me if i want to enable siri, share data with apple... setting up your new mac... then system shows up and it was like a new mac my prefernces were gone.
Afterwards, I dont know why but I renamed the new volume to something else.. restarted and now I can't even log in :(

I have 2 500gb nvmes 1 for windows 1 for macOS, I did this on the macOS disk

Last edited:
Is “SecureBootModel” set to “disabled” in OpenCore Configurator —> Misc —> Security?
NO Default.
Should i understand that for enabling the Wifi and Bluetooth it should setup to default (and it worked fine as per your advice) and then set up back to disable for Big Sur installation/upgrade??

I did exacly as said in the APFS guide, created a new volume in Catalina SSD, it told me to restart my system so I did. Then I see the new mac screen and it asked me if i want to enable siri, share data with apple... setting up your new mac... then system shows up and it was like a new mac my prefernces were gone.
Afterwards, I dont know why but I renamed the new volume to something else.. restarted and now I can't even log in :(
This procedure was meant for the external backup disk instead of the internal macOS SSD. The macOS SSD needed to be left untouched.

In my previous reply I mentioned this should be done on the large hard drive (the 2TB Seagate Slim, if I recall correctly). The purpose was to prepare the 2TB drive to act as both a backup disk (in one volume) and a storage disk (in the other volume).

The APFS Volumes article was meant to teach the basics of APFS volumes, not to follow those steps exactly. It was necessary to tailor those steps to suit your unique requirements.

Because you are not telling me what exactly you did, I assume you created one additional volume in the main macOS SSD, called it “home”, and followed the procedure to move the home folder to the new APFS volume. If so, the procedure should have succeeded. To be sure, doing this is actually a good idea if the main disk is quite large.

Because I’m not sure what could have gone wrong, I will need to perform the same procedure on a backup disk and see if I can reproduce the issue you’re reporting.

Reactions: nss
NO Default.
Should i understand that for enabling the Wifi and Bluetooth it should setup to default (and it worked fine as per your advice) and then set up back to disable for Big Sur installation/upgrade??
Correct. It needs to flip back and forth. Must be Disabled for Big Sur installation; can be set to Default later.

Correct. It needs to flip back and forth. Must be Disabled for Big Sur installation; can be set to Default later.

You just ... a genius :) Big Sur installed in V10 now.
So what do you recommend?
When changing the bootloader set up on Defaut
When working on OS changes (install, upgrade) switch to Disable
And when just running OSX (Apple user way :) ). Disable or default?

This procedure was meant for the external backup disk instead of the internal macOS SSD. The macOS SSD needed to be left untouched.

In my previous reply I mentioned this should be done on the large hard drive (the 2TB Seagate Slim, if I recall correctly). The purpose was to prepare the 2TB drive to act as both a backup disk (in one volume) and a storage disk (in the other volume).

The APFS Volumes article was meant to teach the basics of APFS volumes, not to follow those steps exactly. It was necessary to tailor those steps to suit your unique requirements.

Because you are not telling me what exactly you did, I assume you created one additional volume in the main macOS SSD, called it “home”, and followed the procedure to move the home folder to the new APFS volume. If so, the procedure should have succeeded. To be sure, doing this is actually a good idea if the main disk is quite large.

Because I’m not sure what could have gone wrong, I will need to perform the same procedure on a backup disk and see if I can reproduce the issue you’re reporting.
I understand what you say about backup disk my friend, but I wanted to seperate system and home folders so backup would be easier in the future just like you did in your system.

You said I wasn't clear - here's a more in-depth explanation of what I did that messed up my mac:
* I followed exactly as said in the APFS guide until bullet 7. below *
  1. Open Disk Utility, select the Container disk in which the new volume is to be created.
  2. Click "+" name it just like you did "Casey", then click "Add"
  3. Wait for task to complete... press "Done" and new disk icon appears in Desktop
  4. Go to System Preferences --> Users & Groups, Click unlock
  5. After unlocking the padlock, right click your user name and select "Advanced Options..." from pop-up.
  6. In Advanced Options, select "Choose..." and specify the new disk volume
  7. After that a pop-up should appear telling you to restart PC, so do it (in my case, I didn't get the chance to move my home folder to new one because of this)
  8. After restart it seems like the PC thinks it's a new mac, it should ask you to sign in with AppleID
  9. Apple Privacy Agreement page should appear, click Continue, then more pages appear like Share you data with Apple page, Enable Siri page, Sync your Documents and Desktop folders with iCloud page.
  10. After pressing Continue on all the pages system should show up
  11. Rename your new "Casey" volume to "ronsiv" or whatever other name doesn't matter
  12. Restart PC, can't log in and shows the message in post #3142

@nss,

I’ll follow-up in a few hours after duplicating the process here (and coming back from the morning workout)...

Reactions: nss
@nss,

I’ll follow-up in a few hours after duplicating the process here (and coming back from the morning workout)...
Ok my friend, thank you very much for assisting, I shall be waiting :)

Back