Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ (and @nghesi as well)

I returned that Motherboard and got a new Z490 Vision D. Happy to report that the machine successfully sleep wakes now. Have an _almost_ perfect hackintosh thanks to you @CaseySJ :) I say almost perfect because when the machine sleeps for a "loooooong" time, I get a black screen (kernel panic) on wake up. Something to do with PCI device not found for my AMD Radeon GPU (5700 XT). Trying a couple of things to get that resolved.

While it was probably a defective motherboard, the only thing I might have messed up before is to plug the 2 CPU fans into the CPU_OPT header instead of the CPU_FAN header on the MB. I genuinely don't remember but might save you the headache @nghesi
So many thanks @sffjawsh , @CaseySJ , I guess I am 'sleeping' correctly now. Guess what, previously my Fenvi card hasn't arrive, it arrived today, plugged it in and all resolved. My Mac can now wake sleep and wake up correctly

Ok my friend, thank you very much for assisting, I shall be waiting :)
I'm back from the morning workout (so glad the gyms have reopened, albeit with limited admissions). Will get to this shortly.

Reactions: nss
I'm back from the morning workout (so glad the gyms have reopened, albeit with limited admissions). Will get to this shortly.
Yeah, the situation is abnormal but it's better that the places open with limits rather than not open at all tbh
Let me know how it goes!
Also, I have found a link from stackexchange with a possible fix for this, is it allowed to post it here? He just mentioned a few command lines I reckon it should be ok right?

Last edited:
Yeah, the situation is abnormal but it's better that the places open with limits rather than not open at all tbh
Let me know how it goes!
Also, I have found a link from stackexchange with a possible fix for this, is it allowed to post it here? He just mentioned a few command lines I reckon it should be ok right?
Yes please post the link.

Currently cloning Catalina to a new spare SSD in order to make changes to the clone.

Yes please post the link.

Currently cloning Catalina to a new spare SSD in order to make changes to the clone.
Alright cool.
Here it is: https://serverfault.com/questions/5...in-to-the-user-account-user-name-at-this-time
Also found another potential solution from apple discussions forum: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4328284
They are pretty identical solutions. The first one doesn't have any upvotes and second one seems to be a reliable solution i think? Honestly I don't understand what those commands are doing

You just ... a genius :) Big Sur installed in V10 now.
So what do you recommend?
When changing the bootloader set up on Defaut
When working on OS changes (install, upgrade) switch to Disable
And when just running OSX (Apple user way :) ). Disable or default?
This is less of a recommendation and more of a requirement:
  • Whenever updating Big Sur, SecureBootModel = Disabled.
  • After that, setting SecureBootModel = Default is up to you. OpenIntelWireless drivers, for example, require "Default".

Alright cool.
Here it is: https://serverfault.com/questions/5...in-to-the-user-account-user-name-at-this-time
Also found another potential solution from apple discussions forum: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4328284
They are pretty identical solutions. The first one doesn't have any upvotes and second one seems to be a reliable solution i think? Honestly I don't understand what those commands are doing
Process completed with 100% success, as follows:
  • Cloned my Catalina disk to an external 256GB SATA SSD.
  • Booted from the external SATA SSD.
  • Ran Disk Utility, selected the Catalina container disk and created a new volume called Casey. Used all default options for the new volume.
  • New volume Casey appeared on desktop as a new disk icon.
  • Quit Disk Utility and started System Preferences --> Users & Groups.
  • Unlocked the padlock, right-clicked on my user name, and selected Advanced Options...
  • Selected Choose... next to Home directory.
  • Selected the new Casey disk volume.
  • macOS asked to reboot the computer for changes to take effect, so the system rebooted.
  • macOS then re-creates the user account from scratch on the new volume and shows parts of the "Welcome" screen.
  • Afterwards, I was able to login to the re-created account.
  • Of course, nothing gets migrated from the previous account, so we have to set up all our preferences, copy our files from the old Documents, Downloads, Desktop, etc. folders, etc.
  • However, the entire process was completely smooth.
Screen Shot 2020-10-19 at 9.46.59 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-10-19 at 9.49.14 AM.png

Home directory: /Volumes/Casey (the new volume created inside the container disk)
Screen Shot 2020-10-19 at 9.51.12 AM.png

Last edited:
Process completed with 100% success, as follows:
  • Cloned my Catalina disk to an external 256GB SATA SSD.
  • Booted from the external SATA SSD.
  • Ran Disk Utility, selected the Catalina container disk and created a new volume called Casey. Used all default options for the new volume.
  • New volume Casey appeared on desktop as a new disk icon.
  • Quit Disk Utility and started System Preferences --> Users & Groups.
  • Unlocked the padlock, right-clicked on my user name, and selected Advanced Options...
  • Selected Choose... next to Home directory.
  • Selected the new Casey disk volume.
  • macOS asked to reboot the computer for changes to take effect, so the system rebooted.
  • macOS then re-creates the user account from scratch on the new volume and shows parts of the "Welcome" screen.
  • Afterwards, I was able to login to the re-created account.
  • Of course, nothing gets migrated from the previous account, so we have to set up all our preferences, copy our files from the old Documents, Downloads, Desktop, etc. folders, etc.
  • However, the entire process was completely smooth.
View attachment 492392View attachment 492393

Home directory: /Volumes/Casey (the new volume created inside the container disk)
View attachment 492394
Ok yeah, same happened to me.
Only that after all of this, I renamed the new "Casey" volume, then rebooted, and then I get the error when trying to log in

Ok yeah, same happened to me.
Only that after all of this, I renamed the new "Casey" volume, then rebooted, and then I get the error when trying to log in
Oh I see...

Because your Home folder is located on /Volumes/Casey, that volume cannot be renamed because macOS is still looking for "/Volumes/Casey".

Please boot into Recovery and open Terminal. Then type:
Code:
ls /Volumes
... and post the output. We'll go from there.

Oh I see...

Because your Home folder is located on /Volumes/Casey, that volume cannot be renamed because macOS is still looking for "/Volumes/Casey".

Please boot into Recovery and open Terminal. Then type:
Code:
ls /Volumes
... and post the output. We'll go from there.
* Stupid question alert * lmao
How to boot recovery mode?

Back