Contribute
Register

Gigabyte GC-Alpine Ridge 2.0 Thunderbolt 3 Card in Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7 + i7-8700K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello CaseySJ. F7 over here. So, no need for a separate SSDT-DTGP.aml for your patch?
All of the Thunderbolt SSDTs mentioned in this thread require SSDT-DTGP.aml. If you see more than one SSDT-DTGP.aml uploaded somewhere in this thread, just use the one from the most recent post.

Okay, I have some questions and statements that may help:

1. Which BIOS? I've been using F7 for my system (see left) and I think it would be helpful to include the BIOS version in the build signature.

2. Which system definition are we using? I'm using iMac 18,3. I understand that some may be using other definitions and I'm wondering if that can affect TB performance.

3. After making a hardware, definition, or SSDT change, is everybody hitting F11 to clear the NVRAM when the Clover bootloader presents itself?

4. Which MOBO are you using? Suffixes matter. If you are going to change the BIOS, I strongly recommend unplugging everything and pulling the TB card before changing the BIOS. I do not recommend changing the BIOS via Windows. Once the BIOS is loaded and everything works, shut it all down again, unplug everything, clear the CMOS, reinstall the TB card (slot 4 for the Z370 users like myself) and it's TB header cable, reattach everything else, snap-on the power supply and start the machine. It may restart a couple times and you'll have to reset your basic BIOS settings from the ground up, but it needs to be done. IDK if one can "Save" a BIOS setting from say F11 and have it read as a valid file in a F7 BIOS.

5. Does everybody know that Thunderbolt will never work in a hack until you set it up first in Windows?

@jiffyslot,

Good guidelines! On point 5, the exception to the rule is for motherboards with built-in Thunderbolt 3 controllers such as the Designare Z390. Windows is not needed on such motherboards.

I think I'm going to grab one of those. Are you a UAD user?
How are the temperatures with this mobo? Are you happier with this board?
Ughh! I'll have to find a USB-SSDT (InjectAll type) for that board.

I think I'm going to grab one of those. Are you a UAD user?
How are the temperatures with this mobo? Are you happier with this board?
Ughh! I'll have to find a USB-SSDT (InjectAll type) for that board.
Everything you need to know about this board and how to install Mojave with custom USB SSDT and Thunderbolt Hot-Plug SSDT is located here:

There's a section called "Thunderbolt 3 Experiences" in which you will find a lot of UAD devices that have been successfully tested, including some running on a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter.

You have previously posted in that thread!

Everything you need to know about this board and how to install Mojave with custom USB SSDT and Thunderbolt Hot-Plug SSDT is located here:

There's a section called "Thunderbolt 3 Experiences" in which you will find a lot of UAD devices that have been successfully tested, including some running on a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter.

You have previously posted in that thread!

I'll have to check the date on that. As you can probably guess, I've been chasing this a long time. Ha ha...

@jiffyslot, can you successfully setup hot swap for your thunderbolt devices in Mac? I have the same mobo z370 gb gaming 7 with F7 bios and successfully implanted SSDT file but hot swap doesn't works for me :(

I am having trouble with the Bootcamp driver portion of this. I downloaded v5.0.5033 from the link in this thread, but when I run BootCamp.msi (holding down ctrl-shift to run it as admin) I get a Windows application error followed by an elevated privileges warning stating I need to run it through setup.exe. If I run setup.exe (also with ctrl-shift for admin privileges), I get an error stating that "Boot Camp x64 is unsupported on this computer model."

What am I missing here? My hunch is that it has something to do with my windows installation being on a separate 970 EVO than Mojave. FWIW, a USB-C SSD plugged into the TB card works fine on both Win10 and Mojave. Not sure if that means I'm good to go or not. My TB devices are at the office, so I can't check them right now.

Last edited:
@jiffyslot, can you successfully setup hot swap for your thunderbolt devices in Mac? I have the same mobo z370 gb gaming 7 with F7 bios and successfully implanted SSDT file but hot swap doesn't works for me :(

Yes hot-re-switching-on the power works (I'd never yank out a Thunderbolt cable from a working device, but you know what I mean...) ...but only on a real Mac. Or on this Z370 using Windows 10. Now I'm on Titan Ridge and F13. But hotplug on an Apollo 8 with the hack? Nope. If this is a UAD device question you'll have to power up the Apollo first. On the other hand I have a Blackmagic Design Multi Dock 2 4x SSD slot rackmount unit and I have a couple FW800 Glyph drives daisy chained to that second Thhunderbolt device via an Apple TB2 to FW800 dongle. I can power-up/power-down/power-up these FW800 drives without any problems. I thought having the FW800 drive connected to the Multidock would drag down my GT/s (see 3rd attachment) but the Blackmagic Disk Speed Test app shows the same i/o as without the FW800 dongle.

For folks that are Thunderbolt users -but are not using Universal Audio Devices- the following is so you know what we're writing about:
All of the UAD Apollo audio interfaces use the same huge, proprietary driver download package that writes extensions into S/L/E. The UAD Mixer Engine driver gets loaded on startup and on a Windows or Mac System that senses when power is applied to the UAD device and loads another connecting app so that the "UAD Console" app can be launched and and configured for Pro Tools, Logic, Etc. The ony device that UAD makes that does not have a power switch is called "Arrow" -this device may have problems in trying to connect to a Thunderbolt 2 port because it's bus-powered and like the others has a variety of Sharc DSP processor chips inside of the unit.

I hope this provides some clarity on a complex system. IDK if these UAD systems can reconnect after a power-cycle using Firewire 800 or a USB connected UAD interface. AFAIK, the USB UAD devices are PC-only. Feel free to weigh in here.

Attachments

• S_L_E_UAD info.png
    S_L_E_UAD info.png
    196.8 KB · Views: 85
  • UAD Mixer Engine Process.png
    UAD Mixer Engine Process.png
    139.7 KB · Views: 94
  • Daisy Chained 2xFW800 via TB2 dongle.png
    Daisy Chained 2xFW800 via TB2 dongle.png
    89.7 KB · Views: 128
can anyone please help me get this working on my system?

Z370XP SLI board with I7 8700k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back