Contribute
Register

GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UP5 TH Thunderbolt (Updated to 10.8.2 and MultiBeast 5.2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Middleman,

So after 2 hours or so of fooling around and following the instructions, all good but AutoSleep/Wake was broken. I was getting NVDA DMA Errors with Channel Exceptions all over the Console when waking up and there was no output on display and only a reboot would solve this. After looking around, I have seen many were having such issues with the 660Ti and the only solution was to accept or go to 670. We need the Sleep function working so looks like I'll have to swap it out with a 670 before I can continue. Funny thing is that we have an identical system with 660Ti working w/o issues but that was built on 10.8.1 w/ MB 5.02 and then combo updated to 10.8.2. Although I saw the issues in the posts, I never encountered them and kept the 660Ti. So not sure what could be the cause and don't have the time to fiddle so 670 it is as I haven't found any solution to this from those who are having this.
For AutoSleep I used the default darkwait=0 and also the darkwait-10 flags. No difference.

Thanks
SPS

SPS,

It's darkwake=0, not darkwait=0....

Anyhow....I am so chuffed with my new system! I have to tell you all some more good news....Areca RAID works in this board and build! :D I have another Areca RAID set using an ARC-1222 card from an old '08 Mac Pro set (SAS) and IT WORKS!!! I tried it this morning, and the card was recognised ie. supported! It paused a bit at first for it to download the right firmware for the Areca RAID tower, but it was recognised instantly by ML 10.8.2.

On top of this, my Drobo Pro using Gigabit was also recognised on my second LAN card (Intel1000E) which I had installed, as well as normal Ethernet working in my first port. In all in all a great system!

Whoops I just spent hours trying to figure out why XMP Profile was causing my sleep to not work properly and all this time it was because Internal CPU PLL Overvoltage was enabled.

This really needs to be added to the gude! Or perhaps Gigabyte is reading this and can fix the bug :)

Gameboy35,

Try adding these two lines into your org.chameleon.Boot.plist in /Extras to help:

<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1920x1080x32</string>

About your screen problem you can plug monitors onto the Nvidia too but you need to be aware you can only plug two monitors into either Thunderbolt ports and they MUST BE SEPARATED by a non-display device ie. storage etc ie. when you connect them it must be TB socket > TBDisplay > Storage > TBDisplay. This is stipulated in the Gigabyte manuals. In addition when using the DVI-D on the back with a TBDisplay, you cannot use TB Port 2 for displays but storage only.

As for the sound I don't know, but you could try replacing the AppleHDA.kext with a previous backed-up version and see if that helps, in addition to another Multibeast Realtek ALC898 update from v5.1.3.

If problems still persist trying to get in, try booting with -v -x, or -v -f.

I got the string thing but I still cannot get the thunderbolt problem...
I have 3 Questions:
1. Can i connect 2 Thunderbolt Displays to mobo. i.E dual Display.
2. IF yes will it be able to handle the resolution @ 2560x1440 for both dispays?
3.If not Then Can i connect one TB display to TB port and other using DVI-D Dual link adapter to Mini DP?

Thanks & Sorry for my bad english.

I got the string thing but I still cannot get the thunderbolt problem...
I have 3 Questions:
1. Can i connect 2 Thunderbolt Displays to mobo. i.E dual Display.
2. IF yes will it be able to handle the resolution @ 2560x1440 for both dispays?
3.If not Then Can i connect one TB display to TB port and other using DVI-D Dual link adapter to Mini DP?

Thanks & Sorry for my bad english.

1) Yes (as mentioned above) - but you must connect them like this: DVI > Thunderbolt Display > TB Storage device > Thunderbolt Display
2) Not sure, but probably not if 2 screens are shared because it depends on resources from the graphics. Maybe it will be on 1920x1080...
3) Already answered in above question...yes you can use both TB sockets for a monitor each (in theory you can connect up to 4 monitors on this system - 2 on TB and 2 on DVI/HDMI of Nvidia card), but if another DVI monitor is on the motherboard DVI port, then 2nd TB port can only be used for storage ie. disk use and not for display use.

Hi,

I need some help here. I've installed a GTX670 card after several days (Hackintosh was working perfectly fine with HD4000). Now, I can only boot with a manual text input of GraphicsEnabler=No. I've inserted the command into org.chameleon.Boot.plist but it does not seem to have any effect. It works only by manual input. I'm running on a Raid 0 configuration, could this be an issue? I've tried reflashing bios to F11 but still the same issue.

Bgoh82,

You need to use Multibeast 5.1.3 and install the Nvidia drivers. Select the third option (for GT670 card), save to your HD and shutdown. Connect your screen to either the last DVI port or first HDMI port nearest the top screwhole, reboot and see how it goes. Boot with -v. If you managed to get in, install the Nvidia Mac GEForce drivers downloadable from their site, as well as their Mac CUDA drivers.

In addition you can also try putting the following into org.chameleon.Boot.plist (after the header section) and see if this works, backing up your previous plist first on your desktop. I use this for booting both Nvidia and Intel cards:

<dict>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>darkwake=0</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

p.s. I'm not sure if it is a RAID issue, but it is possible, especially if the /Extra folder has been copied to the EFI partition if it exists (like I do with Fusion Drive setup). You may need to somehow find out where it is and change it.

Followed the guide and all appears to work fine except my NVIDIA Quadro 5000 card (also tried Quadro 4000) will turn off after the Grey Apple Boot screen as it changes the resolution and attempts to load the desktop. The monitor supports resolutions up to 1920x1080. I've tried using the Display ports and DVI on the quadro with no luck. On board video works fine and shows IntelHD4000 .

The answer maybe to add the key to the Boot Plist 1920x1200x32 but I've never need to di this with other setups. I've also tried GraphicsEnabler set to both No or Yes with no effect. Only comes up on the Intel HD4000 . I've also tried setting the internal graphics to Disable with no luck.

Any ideas where to start?

Followed the guide and all appears to work fine except my NVIDIA Quadro 5000 card (also tried Quadro 4000) will turn off after the Grey Apple Boot screen as it changes the resolution and attempts to load the desktop. The monitor supports resolutions up to 1920x1080. I've tried using the Display ports and DVI on the quadro with no luck. On board video works fine and shows IntelHD4000 .

The answer maybe to add the key to the Boot Plist 1920x1200x32 but I've never need to di this with other setups. I've also tried GraphicsEnabler set to both No or Yes with no effect. Only comes up on the Intel HD4000 . I've also tried setting the internal graphics to Disable with no luck.

Any ideas where to start?

3dadd,

Try adding either of these settings in .org chameleon.Boot.plist and see if they work for you on the Nvidia (you can test these by typing at the Unibeast boot prompt as well):

PCIRootUID=0 npci=0x2000

OR

PCIRootUID=0 npci=0x2000 cpus=1

though you wouldn't want to use the last one, as it would slow down your system by half

There is also a post worth looking into here about your card > http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...cards-working-ml-supermicro-hackintosh-2.html

Thanks for the reply. I finally got it to work after testing for hours. (I'm looking to make this a repeatable as possible as a few friends are looking to do the same thing).
A few notes:
Turning Internal Graphics to PEG and Disable in BIOS
Starting with UniBeast Installer USB and using PCIRootUID=0
Install 10.8.2 and boot again with PCIRootUID=0
Install MultiBeast 5.2.1 with Audio, Disk, etc.. (picking iMac 12,2 was another issue for me, I left at default which comes up at MacPro 3.1 )
Adding GraphicsEnabler=Yes and PCIRootUID=0 to the Boot file (is critical)
REBOOT
Load NVIDIA OSX 304 Retail Driver
REBOOT
Load Cuda
Load MacBookAir/MacBook Pro Update 2.0 (need modified Pkg file or will not allow install)
REBOOT

All appears to work OK with the exception of adding additional harddrives to the Sata ports. Boot drive and BlueRay Drive work no issue. If I connect drives to the Black Sata ports it wil not get past the Bios Screen.

The Boot drive is connected to the White (6 gps) port and BlueDrive is connected to a Black port (3Gps)

Also wanted to know if I use the Internal graphics once this setup. I see some people appearing to use both. Not sure if the issue is Quadro vs GeForce.

Woo! Congratulations! Because there is a LOT of people who will be wanting to try out getting your card working.... :D

About the Quadra vs GEForce, it is possible, and you're welcome to try setting detection to Auto if it works...

With regards to the SATA ports, are you using the grey Marvell RAID ports at all? If you are then you should disable them if you want to use the black ports.
Theoretically that's how they should work (how I've set mine anyways) - the black ones boot ok. But I've heard people enabling it and using only the 6Gb/s ports on both white and grey ones, omitting the black SATA ports.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back