Contribute
Register

Gigabyte B550 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + AMD Ryzen 7 3700X + AMD RX 5600 XT

Total Hackintosh/Mac noob here, just wanted to share my experience with following this guide :)

Surprisingly, I managed to complete it successfully in a single evening, so many kudos to everyone involved in this project and to CaseySJ for compiling the instructions! I'm writing this from the working Hackintosh.

A few roadblocks that I hit:

• At the end of step 1, when the "Install macOS Big Sur" application needs to be installed, I got confused by the "Big Sur Users:"/"Catalina Users:" labels, as I wanted to install Big Sur 11.4, but was creating the USB install disk on a Catalina Mac. BuildmacOSInstallApp.command was complaining about missing files (that no longer exist in Big Sur installation media), while InstallAssistant.pkg was failing with an unspecified error. Turns out the latter was due to a lack of disk space - it required a lot more space than the few MB it claimed to need.
  • During installation, my computer rebooted probably 5 or 6 times, as opposed to 2. The second and third times, it looked like no progress was being made and I was just stuck in a reboot loop, so I started googling, checking if my SSD (970 EVO Plus) firmware was up-to-date, etc. At this point, I also added verbose to boot parameters and changed from iMacPro1,1 to MacPro7,1 (as I have a 6800 XT GPU). One more auto reboot seemed to do nothing, but on the next one the screen resolution changed to the correct one, and then on the next one some GUI appeared, and finally the Welcome screen.
  • EFI Agent didn't seem to work on the Catalina Mac. Maybe I missed something, but it didn't seem to show any UI when I started it. I managed to mount the EFI partition using Hackintool instead.
  • When copying the EFI folder from the USB disk to the boot drive post-installation, and mounting both EFI partitions in Hackintool, only one of them would show up in Finder, so I had to copy it to Documents first and then mount the other partition.

What works:
  • GPU (6800 XT), one HDMI monitor and another USB-C -> HDMI monitor
  • CPU (Ryzen 5950X, identified as 16-Core Intel Xeon W)
  • SSD (970 EVO Plus), one for Windows and one for Mac OS
  • Intel WiFi - following the guide and downloading the latest pre-release kexts
  • Dual Boot with Windows 10 21H1
  • iMovie, GarageBand, Safari, ProPresenter
  • EDIT: Getting rid of the memory error notification by following the guide. It all made sense once I downloaded PlistEditPro - I couldn't find how to do it in OpenCore Configurator.
What doesn't (yet) work:
  • Intel Bluetooth. It shows up in System Information, but is unable to find any bluetooth devices such as smartphone or earphones. Could be due to pre-release drivers or due to antennas not being connected.
  • Thunderbolt is not showing up under PCI - I suspect this is the the "pci1002,73a4 - Unknown" entry. This is most likely due to running the latest F13l BIOS. Unfortunately, running F10 is not an option for me as Windows was constantly BSODing on it.
  • Photoshop 2021. I tried following the linked post (patch + MKL_DEBUG_CPU_TYPE=2), as well as https://gist.github.com/naveenkrdy/26760ac5135deed6d0bb8902f6ceb6bd, but it's still crashing the same way. This is the one issue I actually care about, so I will try some more, but please let me know if there is any updated guide that I should follow.
  • Getting rid of the memory error notification. I have seen the guide, but it's a bit hard to understand. Perhaps it will make sense once I open the relevant section in OpenCore Configurator, but I haven't had time to try it yet. (EDIT: see above)

Thanks once more to the whole community for making such a thing possible!

Last edited:
@Xogede,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your experience. Well done, considering that an AMD Ryzen system is generally more difficult to hack than an Intel system.

Some comments:
  • There are two relatively recent new releases of IntelBluetoothFirmware on GitHub. Feel free to try 1.1.3 or v2.0.0-RC1.
  • Thunderbolt in macOS may be impacted by BIOS F13g (where are you seeing F13l?). There is no solution known to us at this time.
  • Regarding Photoshop, have you seen @Ploddles' post here?
Update: "NOTE 5" added to top of Post 1:

Screen Shot 2021-07-12 at 4.19.47 PM.png

Last edited:
Anybody running Adobe apps should have a look HERE. This is a far better solution than the previous patches we had to use. Everything you need is in the (updated) post 1. Neural Filters, Liquify etc now work in Photoshop, Camera tracking working in After Effects.
I have tried everything in that thread but still cannot get those particular features of Photoshop or AE working, even though they work in all other respects. It seems like the more I mess with it, the more Photoshop crashes. For example it used to be fine upon opening files, etc. but after running these tweaks sometimes it crashes not just when trying to use liquify but all the time.

I have tried everything in that thread but still cannot get those particular features of Photoshop or AE working, even though they work in all other respects. It seems like the more I mess with it, the more Photoshop crashes. For example it used to be fine upon opening files, etc. but after running these tweaks sometimes it crashes not just when trying to use liquify but all the time.
Have you tried the fix for Photoshop 2021 here? > https://github.com/jewcbox/AdobeAMDFix

Have you tried the fix for Photoshop 2021 here? > https://github.com/jewcbox/AdobeAMDFix
Thanks to your suggestion, I just did that fix - but it gave me the attached error upon opening Ps (but after restarting). Photoshop continued to open after I re-logged into Creative Cloud account. But Ae would not open at all anymore.
I'm a little confused about how the other fixes are supposed to work though - do I need to run the commands every time I open Ps or Ae or any Adobe app for that matter? And then upon rebooting it resets it? But the fix from this forum page is supposed to automate that process? I haven't seen a definitive guide that truly explains the whole process/solution. I seem to only be able to find fragments of a myriad solutions and explanations across a variety of forum pages. And then I don't know which are compatible with each other or even useful.
I think I am going to go back to running my CC apps without any patches or fixes, which has seemed to work better for me. I don't have a need for the neural filters, liquify, etc in Ps nor warp stabilizer in Ae. I would still like to get it working though.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-12 at 5.19.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-12 at 5.19.09 PM.png
    134 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Thanks to your suggestion, I just did that fix - but it gave me the attached error upon opening Ps (but after restarting). Photoshop continued to open after I re-logged into Creative Cloud account. But Ae would not open at all anymore.
I'm a little confused about how the other fixes are supposed to work though - do I need to run the commands every time I open Ps or Ae or any Adobe app for that matter? And then upon rebooting it resets it? But the fix from this forum page is supposed to automate that process? I haven't seen a definitive guide that truly explains the whole process/solution. I seem to only be able to find fragments of a myriad solutions and explanations across a variety of forum pages. And then I don't know which are compatible with each other or even useful.
I think I am going to go back to running my CC apps without any patches or fixes, which has seemed to work better for me. I don't have a need for the neural filters, liquify, etc in Ps nor warp stabilizer in Ae. I would still like to get it working though.
I think it's because you'd already added the patch from Ploddles post. You should try to reinstall Photoshop and then add the AdobeAMDFix, because it worked for me.

@CaseySJ
I ordered a 570 aero, it will come in a week or so. So ill try and use my alpine ridge in that machine. Unitl we get monterey up and running on dp i can see if big sur is causeing this thunderbolt to lock my system after a 30 sec boot. This is pretty weird stuff

I think it's because you'd already added the patch from Ploddles post. You should try to reinstall Photoshop and then add the AdobeAMDFix, because it worked for me.
I started this time by uninstalling Photoshop then reinstalling, then running the AdobeAMDFix, and the same error as before upon opening Photoshop. Is that normal? Do I need to restart after uninstalling Photoshop?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-13 at 6.37.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-13 at 6.37.22 PM.png
    75.8 KB · Views: 30
Back