Contribute
Register

Gigabyte B550 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + AMD Ryzen 7 3700X + AMD RX 5600 XT

My AMD gb dp mobo system is booting straight into Windows without seeing a BIOS screen now. I never set boot into fast mode on in BIOS. The same issue happened with the ProArt Asus motherboard I had before this board then the motherboard died. This is why I was afraid of running a AMD machine without a dual BIOS.

Well, either event, I'm not sure how I can get back to the BIOS to set up the BIOS option's for the EFI folder you gave me.

My AMD gb dp mobo system is booting straight into Windows without seeing a BIOS screen now. I never set boot into fast mode on in BIOS. The same issue happened with the ProArt Asus motherboard I had before this board then the motherboard died. This is why I was afraid of running a AMD machine without a dual BIOS.

Well, either event, I'm not sure how I can get back to the BIOS to set up the BIOS option's for the EFI folder you gave me.
Some questions:
  • In BIOS Setup --> Boot, what boot options are listed?
  • Which disks are installed or connected?
    • Windows disk?
    • macOS internal SSD?
      • Does this SSD have an EFI partition?
      • Was it formatted with Scheme = GUID Partition Map?
    • USB install or USB boot disk?
      • Does this USB flash disk have an EFI partition?
      • Was it formatted with Scheme = GUID Partition Map?

I have very special plans for the 6800 XT. It has not been taken out of the box yet. The shrink wrap is still intact. Waiting for 'something' to arrive. Nothing more shall I say... :)
5900? Hehe?

Hi thanks for the guide this works great. I don't have Thunderbolt showing under PCI- is this a BIOS issue perhaps?
Also I can't seem to update to 11.3.1 (from 11.2.1). I had an NVMe from another build. I just switched out the EFI, and it seems to boot fine. (So I didn't do a new macOS install.)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-20 at 6.16.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-20 at 6.16.14 PM.png
    327.9 KB · Views: 38
Hi thanks for the guide this works great. I don't have Thunderbolt showing under PCI- is this a BIOS issue perhaps?
Yes it could be a BIOS setup issue, namely:
  • IO Ports --> Thunderbolt --> GPIO3 Force Pwr --> must be enabled
  • IO Ports --> Thunderbolt --> Thunderbolt Security --> No Security

Also, I can't seem to update to 11.3.1 (from 11.2.1) . I had an NVMe from another build. I just switch out the EFI, and it seems to boot fine. (So I didn't do a new macOS install.)
What error do you get when trying to update?

OK, few things. I think the reason why I don't see the BIOS screen at boot up is because my display port cable is plugged in. When I plunged in a HDMI cable, I saw the in screen. Weird. Mind you for now my 5700 GPU is on my other machine, and I won't have access too for a little while.

For your EFI, all the BIOS settings (per guide) are set, and I see Windows and macOS. When selecting the macOS (after a NVRAM reset), its timing out. I think that's just because I have no ATI GPU installed, just a Nvida GTX 1070. I was hoping to boot without graphics card to just try audio on macOS for starters!!! If you have a solution, let me know!!

I think it may be best to report in when I can test with my 5700 GPU next to the AMD CPU machine. :D

FYI. For audio on Windows this has been insanely good so far. I've been loading Steven Slate 5 drums and accent drums loading full kits on my edrums playing them with a 32 buffer using a rme ufx+. NO GLITCHES after extensive playing.

I want to under clock to see if it helps VI plugins or Pro Ttools load but so far we are rocking.

I've tested all the TB2 - to TB3 adapters as well on Windows.....akiko StarTech and Apple, and THEY ALL Work!

My temps are like 45-60 in core temp with a Be-Quiet 500 case, and the dual fan Dark Rock Pro heatsink.

...Like I said. I just worry about no dual BIOS in case something craps out hard.

Yes it could be a BIOS setup issue, namely:
  • IO Ports --> Thunderbolt --> GPIO3 Force Pwr --> must be enabled
  • IO Ports --> Thunderbolt --> Thunderbolt Security --> No Security

What error do you get when trying to update?
Thanks I don’t see GPIO3? When I try to update it seems to download everything but then gives me a login screen . I have a Corsair chiller that is supposed to be unplugged from usb but maybe this is interfering ? Sleep seems to be an issue too

Attachments

• EF942B43-B50D-4C21-AFA3-323AAD29C269.jpeg
    EF942B43-B50D-4C21-AFA3-323AAD29C269.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 38
Thanks I don’t see GPIO3?
Yes you're right! I was thinking of the Z490 Vision D. On B550 Vision D, GPIO3 Force Power is enabled by default. Next thing to try: CMOS Reset. Then configure BIOS parameters again.

When I try to update it seems to download everything but then gives me a login screen . I have a Corsair chiller that is supposed to be unplugged from usb but maybe this is interfering ? Sleep seems to be an issue too
Corsair's 'smart' devices (i.e. with USB connectors) are only smart in Windows, unfortunately! They cause many problems in macOS. So yes, please try disconnecting the Corsair cooler from USB header.

Back