Contribute
Register

Gigabyte B550 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + AMD Ryzen 7 3700X + AMD RX 5600 XT

If I went current gen intel for a audio rig to replace my 370 for a windows 10/big sur. I'm giving this system to a friend in need that doesn't have a lotta of resources.

What would you recommend for mobo/cpu combo(mid-high end budget)

Mind you i have the 390 which i run pro tools carbon via asus 10g(we still dont have the apple tb to ethernet adapter working), hd native, a uad card works fine in both systems. It would be nice to run that pt 390system on a new gen system or i can just use the intel as a second system for ufx+ in my other studio. Be nice to run amd on a main Pro tools rig to see if its works well. Im gonna give it a shot and if it doesnt work go to a new intel gen system

I can go either tb3/4 i dont even think you can buy a Thunderbolt 4 maple ridge yet. I didnt see it on sale anywhere and tbh i wish the industry would blow off tb and just go full avb protocol via ethernet for audio.

If I went current gen intel for a audio rig to replace my 370 for a windows 10/big sur. I'm giving this system to a friend in need that doesn't have a lotta of resources.

What would you recommend for mobo/cpu combo(mid-high end budget)
I actually support your idea of trying an AMD board first. For Intel, however, I would recommend:
  • Gigabyte Z490 Vision D or Vision G if you can find them.
    • Vision D has on-board Thunderbolt 3.
    • Vision G has a Thunderbolt header, but requires add-in-card for Thunderbolt (GC-Titan Ridge for example).
  • @Stork's Asus Z490 ProArt Creator.
  • Any other Z490 system described in the Golden Builds or User Builds forums.
  • I don't recommend Gigabyte Z590 Vision D at this time because Thunderbolt hot plug is not working. This is probably due to a BIOS issue.

Mind you i have the 390 which i run pro tools carbon via asus 10g(we still dont have the apple tb to ethernet adapter working), hd native, a uad card works fine in both systems. It would be nice to run that pt 390system on a new gen system or i can just use the intel as a second system for ufx+ in my other studio. Be nice to run amd on a main Pro tools rig to see if its works well. Im gonna give it a shot and if it doesnt work go to a new intel gen system
Agreed.

I can go either tb3/4 i dont even think you can buy a Thunderbolt 4 maple ridge yet. I didnt see it on sale anywhere and tbh i wish the industry would blow off tb and just go full avb protocol via ethernet for audio.
There are external Maple Ridge PCIe cards. For example:

First thing to check is whether Ethernet device en0 exists. We can check this from System Information --> Network as shown:
View attachment 518663
If en0 does not exist, simply open Terminal and type this:
Bash:
cd /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration
sudo rm NetworkInterfaces.plist
Then reboot and check App Store (and en0 again).
It DOES show en0, but also en1, en2, en3, en6, en7 (no en4 or en5). The two physical Ethernet ports alternate between the service name "Ethernet 3" = U32_LAN (top port) (which confusingly is BSD Device Name "en6") and "Ethernet 4" = U32G2_LAN (bottom port) (which is BSD Device "en7"). In addition to those two, I have services (also listed in the System Preferences > Network) of "Ethernet" and "Ethernet 2" but neither corresponds to the physical port.
I have not tried your Terminal solution, since en0 does exist, just won't ever connect to it, since en0 = "Ethernet".

Screen Shot 2021-05-15 at 6.31.28 PM.png

It DOES show en0, but also en1, en2, en3, en6, en7 (no en4 or en5). The two physical Ethernet ports alternate between the service name "Ethernet 3" = U32_LAN (top port) (which confusingly is BSD Device Name "en6") and "Ethernet 4" = U32G2_LAN (bottom port) (which is BSD Device "en7"). In addition to those two, I have services (also listed in the System Preferences > Network) of "Ethernet" and "Ethernet 2" but neither corresponds to the physical port.
I have not tried your Terminal solution, since en0 does exist, just won't ever connect to it, since en0 = "Ethernet".

View attachment 518701
@CaseySJ I also happened to notice "enter serial number" on the about this mac screen. Is that normal?
Screen Shot 2021-05-16 at 8.45.30 AM.png

you will need to add your serial number in your config.plist
Omg! I completely forgot that step. I just loaded up the zip contents and booted. I'm surprised it even works. Thanks.

@CaseySJ I also happened to notice "enter serial number" on the about this mac screen. Is that normal?View attachment 518757
@CaseySJ I got the platform info entered correctly now.
The App Store still wouldn't log me in upon rebooting once, but I went ahead and ran that terminal command even though technically I do have "en0" listed? Then I restarted, and saw that en0 is now assigned to the lower physical ethernet port. And logging into the App Store worked! Thanks again for your help!!

If en0 does not exist, simply open Terminal and type this:
Code:
cd /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration
sudo rm NetworkInterfaces.plist

Last edited:
@CaseySJ

Just an update on what's happened so far. So I managed to update the system now to 11.4. Thanks to the help of a RX550 card and a gpu-spoof SSDT, I managed to boot into the 11.3 installation and finish off the install, and finally get to run the RX6800 card.

There is one small problem however. I could only run my system with the RX550 in slot 1 with the RX6800 in slot 2 and HDMI being output on port 1 on the RX550. If I use the RX6800 in slot 1 and RX550 in slot 2, the system doesn't boot and stalls. I've also tried it with Lilu, Whatevergreen enabled/disabled as well as agdpmod=pikera boot-arg - when the system finishes booting it goes into a black screen. I've tried the 2nd HDMI port on the 6800 and that doesn't show either. Yet when I ran it with Catalina 10.15.6 without any SSDTs both cards ran fine and booted in with no issues.

On top of that I found that the ACPI path is rather odd. Under Windows it comes up as

Code:
_SB_.PCI0.GPP8.SWUS.SWDS.VGA_

And using IOReg in Catalina, it shows up as connected to ._display_boot instead of display@0 when I search for display.

I presume this is to do with it going through a PCI bridge? When I try to use this as a SSDT gpu spoof, it doesn't seem to work. I remember you mentioned the DSDT only allows for the first 4 parts, while the SSDT has to recreate the last two parts in order for the system to be able to change the device ID. Unfortunately I'm not sure what to write here in place of the the last three parts. Do I for instance, use GFX0 or not? Because that comes up in part of the IOReg path in macOS but not Windows. But the DSDT under GPP8 I checked does have a device D00A that is already preset. I've attached my IOReg and config.plist for you if you don't mind having a look at it.

Attachments

• Middleman's iMac Pro 2.ioreg
    3.4 MB · Views: 39
  • config.plist
    64.6 KB · Views: 36
@Middleman,

Sorry to sound a bit dense or obtuse, but:
  • What problem are you trying to fix?
  • And which version of macOS are you trying to fix it in?
  • 6800 XT is not supported in Catalina.
    • Seems you are trying to make it work in Catalina?
    • In Catalina we would use the SSDT to hide the card, but the SSDT should not be used in Big Sur.

Back