Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Pro, i7-8700 and a Radeon RX 580

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno why my sig was showing weird. Here’s what I saw in my sig builder:
View attachment 551728

No, not your signature. Your Hardware Profile is what is showing under your avatar in the left-hand column:

... you access this through the "Account Details" page of your site Profile (the head-and-shoulders icon in the menu bar).

Thank you.

:)

Based on your hardware update, my EFI folder should have worked for you. So you get as far as having an Apple icon with a progress bar, right? But the bar only goes about 1% and then halts? Your Monterey installation is being sourced from your USB drive? Just trying to understand.

Re: USB active ports... I would recommend that for MacOS installation you choose one of the two Type A USB rear-panel motherboard USB ports at the far right (looking from the front) to plug in your USB flash drive. Using a front-panel port is not guaranteed to be active during installation from the USB drive.

Last edited:
Hi there.

Please update your Hardware Profile. We can see you have three builds in your signature, but "Multiple" three times in the Profile means nothing to anyone coming across the thread later-on and wanting to help. It is also a part of the Site Rules that your main or current build is listed there. Thank you.:thumbup:

Okay, as to you your installation problem - which EFI are you using? Your own or the one uploaded by @wstrohm ?

When you get the Apple progress-bar sticking at 1% are any USB ports active? For example, if you have a USB keyboard does the caps-lock LED toggle on/off? It may be that the port you are using for the USB installer becomes inactive.

Try the "CMD+V" key-combo at the OpenCore boot screen to select Verbose mode which should give you a text read-out of the boot and where it sticks. Take a photo and upload it here.

:)

Edit:
made usb stick following the making the Monterey installer stick article.
then mounted efi partition and copied over the provided efi folder.
booted into the installer which let me get to disk utility and wipe the Catalina drive.
then ran the installer for Monterey from usb stick.
upon reboot selecting the installer to finish the install, I get the progress bar as shown and that’s as far as it goes. CMD v doesn’t seem to get me anything different.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 28
Which of the uploaded images is "as far as it gets?" What is the order of the displays? Do you see the OpenCanopy display first, with the MacOS installer icon shown, then the Apple icon with the almost-complete progress bar? Or vice-versa?

Which of the uploaded images is "as far as it gets?" What is the order of the displays? Do you see the OpenCanopy display first, with the MacOS installer icon shown, then the Apple icon with the almost-complete progress bar? Or vice-versa?
Open canopy with installer first, then the apple icon with progress bar at 1%. I’m pointing at the one spec of white in the bar here.

second image is where I have stuff plugged in on the back of the machine. Usb installer stick at the too of the image, network, keyboard and mouse plugged in and hdmi plugged in. That’s it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 32
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 31
Thanks... my bad for thinking that was a "white" bar. It does look like OpenCore has done its job; maybe the problem is the USB port on your computer is not active (as UtterDisbelief posited) once installation has started. What computer USB port are you using? As I edited above, would recommend one of the type A ports on the rear motherboard panel at the far right (looking forward).

Okay, I see your photo of your rear panel. It looks nothing like mine, but I would have tried the same port as you are using. The problem is that my motherboard is a Mini-ITX Gigabyte Z390 I Aorus PRO WIFI, and the USBPorts.kext in my EFI/OC/Kexts folder is custom to that motherboard. If you make a USBPorts.kext file to replace mine, it will look quite different.

It's still possible that there is enough "overlap" between my USBPorts.kext port assignments and your motherboard that you could be successful just by moving your boot stick to another port. I would try another one in that row in your photo. For your information, here is the listing of the USB ports in my EFI folder (not that it will help at all):
Screen Shot 2022-07-23 at 10.40.25 AM.jpg

So I have selected 7 physical ports that are both USB2 and USB3, plus one that is only USB2 (HS12). There's a reasonable chance that one or more of your logical ports matches one or more of mine. Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks... my bad for thinking that was a "white" bar. It does look like OpenCore has done its job; maybe the problem is the USB port on your computer is not active (as UtterDisbelief posited) once installation has started. What computer USB port are you using? As I edited above, would recommend one of the type A ports on the rear motherboard panel at the far right (looking forward).

Okay, I see your photo of your rear panel. It looks nothing like mine, but I would have tried the same port as you are using. The problem is that my motherboard is a Mini-ITX Gigabyte Z390 I Aorus PRO WIFI, and the USBPorts.kext in my EFI/OC/Kexts folder is custom to that motherboard. If you make a USBPorts.kext file to replace mine, it will look quite different.

It's still possible that there is enough "overlap" between my USBPorts.kext port assignments and your motherboard that you could be successful just by moving your boot stick to another port. I would try another one in that row in your photo. For your information, here is the listing of the USB ports in my EFI folder (not that it will help at all):
View attachment 551777
That actually makes sense. So I need to find the right port map for this motherboard and replace the usbports kext file, correct?

I REALLY APPRECIATE the help. I haven’t built a new hac in a couple years and I was totally lost.

Attachments

• USBPorts.kext.zip
    2.3 KB · Views: 23
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back