CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
Asus RX 580 8gb
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
I'd like to let everyone know that I have this GC-Alpine Ridge card working on my setup. I had to update my Bios to get it to work. I was on F4 and went to F23g. I haven't done major testing yet but I'm attached to a RAID via an Apple thunderbolt 3-2 adapter. Using BM disk test I get normal speeds for this RAID setup.
That's encouraging! (have one on order)
How's the situation with hot swapping etc? Some reports said that the Apollo audio interface had to be turned on at startup or it wouldn't show up and so... can you turn on your raid after computer is started and it shows up as normal?

Motherboard
Gigabyte LGA1151 Intel Z170X Ultra Gaming
CPU
INTEL CORE I7-6700K
Graphics
GIGABYTE GTX1080TI 11GB
Mac
iMac
Mobile Phone
iOS
I've been fighting with the devices a bit. I find it takes me a few restarts to get things to show up. That was the case prior as well. So it's not really unusual. I find it odd that my Black magic card can hot swap though. It seems to work fine no matter what. I have the SANLink3 T1 attached as well, which basically allows me to get 10Gbe line from my QNAP NAS storage system. This is very finicky. It takes a bit after restart for it to be recognized. It's odd as well, I just recently installed it with the drivers and at first the system didn't see it at all but I left it alone overnight and it was just working in the morning. Not sure what that's about. I feel like it's a bit of a crap shoot from day to day and I can't rely on this Hackintosh at all. I wish I was a bit more savy and understood thing so I could fix them. Not sure it's even possible to have a reliable Hackintosh. I'll probably cave and go buy a new iMac pro if I can't this working more reliably.

Motherboard
Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon Gen 6 - 1.3.4 - Clover UEFI
CPU
Intel i7-8650U
Graphics
Intel UHD 620 / HDR WQHD 2560x1440 (non-touch)
Mac
MacBook, MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
Power Mac, PowerBook, Quadra
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
Boot into Windows to make sure the devices are working there. Then boot into Clover (warm boot), use the EFI Shell to make sure the devices are still there in the pci list or dev tree (or just check the Clover boot log).

A Thunderbolt chip has two DisplayPort 1.2 inputs, two Thunderbolt outputs (DisplayPort alt mode, HDMI 1.4 alt mode, USB 3.1 gen 2), and a DisplayPort 1.2 output (with dual-mode which means the DisplayPort port also supports single-link DVI / HDMI).
@joevt, finally got Thunderbolt to show in IOReg, but it doesn't mount. Had to change a bunch of BIOS settings (and rebuild my Catalog in the process; major annoyance).

You mentioned a while back needing to look at the PCI tree. What do I need to send you? The whole IOReg file?

Thanks!

Motherboard
GIGABYTE Z170X-Gaming 7
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
GTX TITAN X
Mac
iMac, MacBook, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac mini, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Apple, LC, Power Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
@joevt, finally got Thunderbolt to show in IOReg, but it doesn't mount. Had to change a bunch of BIOS settings (and rebuild my Catalog in the process; major annoyance).

You mentioned a while back needing to look at the PCI tree. What do I need to send you? The whole IOReg file?

Yes, ioreg from the ioreg command, or IORegistryExplorer.app (v2.1), also try the pcitree.sh script posted earlier.

Motherboard
CPU
Intel i7-8650U
Graphics
Mac
MacBook, MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS

Yes, ioreg from the ioreg command, or IORegistryExplorer.app (v2.1), also try the pcitree.sh script posted earlier.
Here is the Save As from IOReg 2.1. The pcitree.sh gives:
Code:
pcilib: Cannot open AppleACPIPlatformExpert (add boot arg debug=0x144 & run as root)
setpci: Cannot find any working access method.
pcilib: Cannot open AppleACPIPlatformExpert (add boot arg debug=0x144 & run as root)
lspci: Cannot find any working access method.
even though I have boot-arg debug=0x144 in Clover.

As far as I can tell from the device tree in Window, Thunderbolt is attaching to PCI0:RP21: PXSX: pci-bridge@0: pci8086,1577.

Attachments

Motherboard
GIGABYTE Z170X-Gaming 7
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
GTX TITAN X
Mac
Classic Mac
Apple, LC, Power Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Here is the Save As from IOReg 2.1.
The IO reg looks fine. A text dump might be more useful because it's easier to search.
Code:
ioreg -lw0 > ioreg.txt
zip the result and post.

The pcitree.sh gives:
Code:
setpci: Cannot find any working access method.
even though I have boot-arg debug=0x144 in Clover.
Did you run the command with sudo (run as root?)? Show me the line from your config.plist.
You could try setting the boot-args variable using the nvram command. First, check what the current value is:
Code:
nvram -p | grep boot-args
Then append debug=0x144 to the current value
Code:
sudo nvram boot-args="debug=0x144"
As far as I can tell from the device tree in Window, Thunderbolt is attaching to PCI0:RP21: PXSX: pci-bridge@0: pci8086,1577.
The ioreg shows the Thunderbolt controller at RP21. The USB controller and NHI are there. There seems to be no USB or Thunderbolt devices connected to the USB-C ports. What do you expect to be there? Are they connected before you boot the computer? Do they appear in Windows? Do they appear in EFI (use the pci and devtree commands in the EFI Shell, include the results in a zip file)?

Motherboard
CPU
Intel i7-8650U
Graphics
Mac
MacBook, MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
The IO reg looks fine. A text dump might be more useful because it's easier to search.
Code:
ioreg -lw0 > ioreg.txt
zip the result and post.
Attached.

Did you run the command with sudo (run as root?)? Show me the line from your config.plist.
You could try setting the boot-args variable using the nvram command. First, check what the current value is:
Code:
nvram -p | grep boot-args
Then append debug=0x144 to the current value
Code:
sudo nvram boot-args="debug=0x144"
Issue solved. Was that I had SIP=0x0. Disabling worked. pcitree.sh output attached in same zip file below.

The ioreg shows the Thunderbolt controller at RP21. The USB controller and NHI are there. There seems to be no USB or Thunderbolt devices connected to the USB-C ports. What do you expect to be there? Are they connected before you boot the computer? Do they appear in Windows? Do they appear in EFI (use the pci and devtree commands in the EFI Shell, include the results in a zip file)?
There is a Thunderbolt 2 G-Drive that daisy chains with an OWC TB2 Dock. I tried reversing the order, but that doesn't seem to do anything. They connect to the Alpine Ridge via an Apple TB3->TB2 dongle adapter.

They are connected before I boot. To boot with Alpine Ridge, I have to cold boot (switch on PSU), then I get the interdiction sign after clover, then I have to press restart on the front panel, and it boots. I'm suspecting an NVRAM issue, but I really have no idea.

They are recognized in Windows but as they are both Mac-specific a message warns that "they may not operate correctly."

I'll have to look at the EFI later tonight. Will keep you posted. Thanks for the help!

EDIT:
Getting the EFI data is near impossible. It appears that the "Cold boot" / "Warm boot" / "Restart" sequence that I need to boot is somewhat random. I did check verbose in Clover and it seems to hang after:

Code:
OsxAptioFix2Drv: Starting overrides [snip]
Using reloc block: no, hibernate wake: no
does printf work??
If it boots, I do not get 'does printf work??' but after 'hibernate wake: no', I get a line of '+' shortly before the more familiar verbose output.

Attachments

Last edited:
Motherboard
GIGABYTE Z170X-Gaming 7
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
GTX TITAN X
Mac
Classic Mac
Apple, LC, Power Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
They are connected before I boot. To boot with Alpine Ridge, I have to cold boot (switch on PSU), then I get the interdiction sign after clover, then I have to press restart on the front panel, and it boots. I'm suspecting an NVRAM issue, but I really have no idea.

EDIT:

Getting the EFI data is near impossible. It appears that the "Cold boot" / "Warm boot" / "Restart" sequence that I need to boot is somewhat random. I did check verbose in Clover and it seems to hang after:

Code:
OsxAptioFix2Drv: Starting overrides [snip]
Using reloc block: no, hibernate wake: no
does printf work??
If it boots, I do not get 'does printf work??' but after 'hibernate wake: no', I get a line of '+' shortly before the more familiar verbose output.
Have you updated Clover recently? There was an NVRAM problem which is now supposedly fixed so you don't need the rc scripts nvram emulation stuff. In other words, NVRAM should work natively.

I think the "does printf work??" comes from the APFS efi driver?

Sounds like you're saying Clover boots all the time, but macOS sometimes doesn't boot (interdiction sign). Maybe you should clone macOS to a different hard drive? Can you post a zipped clover boot log file?

If Clover always boots, then you should always be able to use the EFI shell from clover.

Unrelated issues:

pcitree.sh shows that you have an Asmedia ASM1142 PCIe 2.0 x2 USB card in the x8 slot which causes your graphics card to change from x16 to x8. You can find an ASM1142 PCIe 3.0 x1 USB card that can go into an x1 slot. The Delock 89582 and SUNIX UPD2018 are two examples which also support USB-C DisplayPort alt mode using a DisplayPort input.

ioreg shows that you haven't completed the USB setup (should remove 11 of the 26 ports of the XHC).

Motherboard
CPU
Intel i7-8650U
Graphics
Mac
MacBook, MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
Have you updated Clover recently? There was an NVRAM problem which is now supposedly fixed so you don't need the rc scripts nvram emulation stuff. In other words, NVRAM should work natively.

I think the "does printf work??" comes from the APFS efi driver?

Sounds like you're saying Clover boots all the time, but macOS sometimes doesn't boot (interdiction sign). Maybe you should clone macOS to a different hard drive? Can you post a zipped clover boot log file?

If Clover always boots, then you should always be able to use the EFI shell from clover.

Unrelated issues:

pcitree.sh shows that you have an Asmedia ASM1142 PCIe 2.0 x2 USB card in the x8 slot which causes your graphics card to change from x16 to x8. You can find an ASM1142 PCIe 3.0 x1 USB card that can go into an x1 slot. The Delock 89582 and SUNIX UPD2018 are two examples which also support USB-C DisplayPort alt mode using a DisplayPort input.

ioreg shows that you haven't completed the USB setup (should remove 11 of the 26 ports of the XHC).

Yes, I am running the latest clover and removed emuvariable from the EFI. I'll try removing the actual nvram.plist file and any rc scripts and see what happens.

printf and APFS: sounds right, as clover shows that prior to the main screen. I don't have any APFS drives, though.

Clover always boots indeed and I can use the shell, but I have never succeeded in entering the shell, dumping the output, and getting OS X to boot.

I did pick up on the USB issue too. I finally found an adapter for the internal 3.1 Gen 2 header to a 3.0 19-pin header. Should arrive in a week. Will let you know how that works. This would free up a slot completely.

True about not completing USB. I am waiting to have a semi-stable setup before doing that. Perhaps not wise?

Regarding PCI slots, I need 10-bit output (photographer) and the 1080 doesn't allow that (I have seen reports that it can work, but I can only get a dithered output in Photoshop). I was also motivated to free the USB 4x slot to put a BlackMagic Decklink Monitor instead, though now I am hearing a lot of good about Vega. Frontier seems to output 10-bit on OpenGL and I am trying to figure out what the Vega 64 equivalent of Radeon Pro Vega 64 for Mac would be for a Z370 MB; that's slightly off-topic, though, so I'll keep that for another thread/forum.

Motherboard
CPU
Intel i7-8650U
Graphics
Mac
MacBook, MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
@joevt !

I have TB running... with FW800! I'm going to give it a few days to make sure that this isn't a fluke, but if it holds, I will update with my config and changes. Sorry for the cliffhanger, but I thought I had it fixed and then it failed, so this time I will have to run a few tests. That said, this is the best outcome thus far!

Thank you for your help and insightful questions, joevt. I really appreciate it!

Attachments