Register

GC-ALPINE RIDGE in hands

Motherboard
ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe
CPU
i9-7900X
Graphics
Vega 64
It sounds like you have the Alpine Ridge rev 2.0 card, which has no firmware update at this stage.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
Asus RX 580 8gb
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
It sounds like you have the Alpine Ridge rev 2.0 card, which has no firmware update at this stage.
I’m pretty sure it’s Rev 1.0... was trying to get hold of 2.0 but finally gave up... it has firmware 20 and firmware 21 is available on Gigabyte’s webpage... it’s just that I can’t get the installer to work... (maybe because I’m a retard when it comes to doing things in Windows)

Motherboard
ASRock Z370 Professional Gaming
CPU
i7-8086K
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Got an GigabyteAlpineRidge TB card rev.1 here, too. I was only able to upgrade firmware to NVM21 when installing Thunderbolt Drivers version 16.3.x.x - had latest drivers 17.1.x.x first installed. When i than tried to upgrade TB-firmware under windows, it always run into errors in the last steps. After downgrading the TB-drivers to a version prior to 16.3.x.x the upgrade of TB-firmware went flawlessly and i now have NVM21 on my GBAlpine card.

Give it a try with older TB-drivers.

Last edited:
Motherboard
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
Asus RX 580 8gb
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Got an GigabyteAlpineRidge TB card rev.1 here, too. I was only able to upgrade firmware to NVM21 when installing Thunderbolt Drivers version 16.3.x.x - had latest drivers 17.1.x.x first installed..
I had the 16.3.x.x drivers. it's still not working... What is supposed to happen? I run the setup from Gigabyte's webpage, then it seems it's only installing the FlashTBT app that I have to manually find and start myself and from that I get the generation_mismatch error message...
Where did you find the 17.1.x.x drivers? They are not on Gigabyte's page relating to the card as far as I can see...

Motherboard
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
Asus RX 580 8gb
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
But how did you get the FlashTMT to work? Did you have to manually select bin file? Did the included .bin file just work when you tried with the older Thunderbolt Drivers?

(I've tried now with Thunderbolt Drivers 16.2.x.x, 16.3.x.x and 17.4.x.x... same results all the time... generation_mismatch error message in FlashTBT...)

Last edited:
Motherboard
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
Asus RX 580 8gb
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
DOH! I think you were right all along! I was so sure it was 1.0 as that's what it said on the shop's webpage. I saw no indication on the card itself but on the box it actually says rev.2.0... So that's the firmware flash mystery resolved...

Still have to figure out why I can't even boot in macOS when the card is installed though! (macOS 10.13.4)

Motherboard
GIGABYTE Z170X-Gaming 7
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
GTX TITAN X
Mac
iMac, MacBook, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac mini, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Apple, LC, Power Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Guys I got the Gigabyte Alpine Ridge V2 Thunderbolt addon card. But it does not work on my MSI Tomahawk X299 AC motherboard. I specifically checked and there was a TB header on the motherboard and the connector wire plugged into it perfectly. But it doesn’t get detected in even in BIOS. BTW there is no setting related to Thunderbolt in BIOS.

Has anyone got this GC-Alpine Ridge to work in MSI motherhood?
Did you update the BIOS to the latest?

You could try Universal IFR Extractor to see if the BIOS has hidden Thunderbolt settings (I compiled the one from LongSoft to work in macOS).

Motherboard
GIGABYTE Z170X-Gaming 7
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
GTX TITAN X
Mac
iMac, MacBook, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac mini, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Apple, LC, Power Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Just got an email from MSI support and the idiots don't support Thunderbolt AIC cards on their motherboards even though they advertise it on their site. There is no option in BIOS to enable thunderbolt support so that's that.
MSI doesn't make there own card (they have a product page for the "MSI Thunderbolt M3" but I don't think they made any) and I don't think they'll support other manufacturer's add-in cards but that doesn't mean they can't work.

Just because the BIOS doesn't show the options doesn't mean the options aren't there. The BIOS is made by AMI so it will be very similar to the BIOS of Gigabyte and ASUS motherboards. Universal IFR Extractor may show those hidden options. I looked at the 7B05v18 BIOS for your motherboard and couldn't find any Thunderbolt stuff...

There is a thread in the MSI forums about using Thunderbolt 3 with a Tomohawk X299 motherboard (probably not the AC version) at https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=292944.0 The user did not state if PCIe tunneling or USB worked (DisplayPort conversion to Thunderbolt always works).