Motherboard
Gigabyte X299 Designare EX
CPU
i9-7920X
Graphics
Asus Strix GeForce GTX 1080ti
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac Pro
Hi everyone, does anyone know where can I buy this card without it being overpriced?

ebay: 140usd
amazon: not selling it
newegg: 150usd
fry's electronics: 55usd but not shipping to Florida, US.

Thanks
Give amazon another try. It may only be available here in the US, but I just got one for $55 USD and they are still listed as being in stock.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
Asus RX 580 8gb
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
HOW DO I UPDATE THE FIRMWARE of the GC-Alpine Ridge???

Finally bought the card. Works fine in Windows, gives me crossed over circle at startup on macOS.

I can't for the life of me understand how to update the firmware!!! The program on Gigabytes webpage just installs something called FlashTBT_100.exe... running that, it says I have firmware 20 and asks me to select a bin file... the only bin file available gives the message... "Error: blabla GENERATION_MISMATCH firmware image file is not compatible with controller hardware generation".

I just have no clue how to flash the card!?

(Windows 10, macOS 10.13.4)

Motherboard
ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe
CPU
i9-7900X
Graphics
Vega 64
It sounds like you have the Alpine Ridge rev 2.0 card, which has no firmware update at this stage.

Motherboard
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
Asus RX 580 8gb
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
It sounds like you have the Alpine Ridge rev 2.0 card, which has no firmware update at this stage.
I’m pretty sure it’s Rev 1.0... was trying to get hold of 2.0 but finally gave up... it has firmware 20 and firmware 21 is available on Gigabyte’s webpage... it’s just that I can’t get the installer to work... (maybe because I’m a retard when it comes to doing things in Windows)

Motherboard
ASRock Z270 Super Carrier
CPU
i7 6700K
Graphics
RX460 / RX480 NITRO
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Got an GigabyteAlpineRidge TB card rev.1 here, too. I was only able to upgrade firmware to NVM21 when installing Thunderbolt Drivers version 16.3.x.x - had latest drivers 17.1.x.x first installed. When i than tried to upgrade TB-firmware under windows, it always run into errors in the last steps. After downgrading the TB-drivers to a version prior to 16.3.x.x the upgrade of TB-firmware went flawlessly and i now have NVM21 on my GBAlpine card.

Give it a try with older TB-drivers.

Last edited:
Motherboard
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
Asus RX 580 8gb
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Got an GigabyteAlpineRidge TB card rev.1 here, too. I was only able to upgrade firmware to NVM21 when installing Thunderbolt Drivers version 16.3.x.x - had latest drivers 17.1.x.x first installed..
I had the 16.3.x.x drivers. it's still not working... What is supposed to happen? I run the setup from Gigabyte's webpage, then it seems it's only installing the FlashTBT app that I have to manually find and start myself and from that I get the generation_mismatch error message...
Where did you find the 17.1.x.x drivers? They are not on Gigabyte's page relating to the card as far as I can see...

Motherboard
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
Asus RX 580 8gb
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
But how did you get the FlashTMT to work? Did you have to manually select bin file? Did the included .bin file just work when you tried with the older Thunderbolt Drivers?

(I've tried now with Thunderbolt Drivers 16.2.x.x, 16.3.x.x and 17.4.x.x... same results all the time... generation_mismatch error message in FlashTBT...)

Last edited:
Motherboard
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
Asus RX 580 8gb
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
DOH! I think you were right all along! I was so sure it was 1.0 as that's what it said on the shop's webpage. I saw no indication on the card itself but on the box it actually says rev.2.0... So that's the firmware flash mystery resolved...

Still have to figure out why I can't even boot in macOS when the card is installed though! (macOS 10.13.4)