Contribute
Register

GA-Z68XP-UD3P owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got my install up and running today :)

Basically everything is working. The only issues I can find are the ol' one with the resolution before the OS loads up (flashed my card's BIOS, modified all the files, etc.), the fact that my 2500K shows up as running at stock speed (I'm not sure if this is just cosmetic or if it genuinely is running at stock) and the fact I've been getting random crashes. I looked at the log for the last one and it was something to do with Spotlight. I thought it could be NTFS-3G but then I realised the exact same thing happened before I installed that.

@discrete
I have seen some already modded apple bluetooth for sale on ebay, but all are extremely overpriced.

@ellis
I had random crashes as well. I read somewhere that on certain systems the Official Realtek gigabyte driver could cause this. I switched back to Lnx2Mac but did not use the one in multibeast and rather the one off Lnx2Mac's blog. The one in multibeast will simply not work. I have not gotten a random KP in about a week now, only downside is my USB is really slow to wake after sleep (like 5s).

@wannabemacuser
I was looking for 1394 PCI card, but there are other more import things i want to add to my system first. I haven't heard of any dual USB/Firewire cards working. That is a really good priced card to have a TI chipset. Let me know how it works i might have to pick it up

I may try 10.7.3 tonight. I'll post back with results. I hope this update fixes the sluggish GPU after sleep issue in Mac 3,1.

titsmgee said:
@discrete
I have seen some already modded apple bluetooth for sale on ebay, but all are extremely overpriced.

@ellis
I had random crashes as well. I read somewhere that on certain systems the Official Realtek gigabyte driver could cause this. I switched back to Lnx2Mac but did not use the one in multibeast and rather the one off Lnx2Mac's blog. The one in multibeast will simply not work. I have not gotten a random KP in about a week now, only downside is my USB is really slow to wake after sleep (like 5s).

@wannabemacuser
I was looking for 1394 PCI card, but there are other more import things i want to add to my system first. I haven't heard of any dual USB/Firewire cards working. That is a really good priced card to have a TI chipset. Let me know how it works i might have to pick it up
Thing is, I'm not even using the motherboard's onboard audio. Unless there's any other Realtek stuff besides audio? For networking I'm using a USB adapter now and a Broadcom PCI-e adapter when it arrives, for audio I've got a USB DAC (compatible with Mac OOTB), and I have a dedicated GPU, so there's not that much to go wrong on the motherboard I hope.

Also, 10.7.3 is out? I updated via Software Update earlier today and there was only 10.7.2.

EDIT: Oh yes, so it is.

10.7.3 up and running. Very easy. All I did was install the combo update. Before restarting, I checked "system utilities" and "Mac Pro 3,1" in Multibeast. I also needed to install the patched AppleHDA. I did not need to reinstall the ethernet driver.

The problem with sluggish GPU after wake from sleep is still there :banghead:. Unfortanately, this update doesn't fix it. My 6870 fps drop from 53fps to 16fps after waking from sleep. This is also a problem with real macs and I hope apple fixes this in an upcoming release. Maybe they finally will after the new Mac Pros come out (if that ever happens--I've read rumors of apple discontinuing that line).

Oh well. The good news is 10.7.3 is up and running! :thumbup:

@tomhukk

same experience here :

The problem with sluggish GPU after wake from sleep is still there :banghead:. Unfortanately, this update doesn't fix it.

Looked into modding applegraphicspowermanagement.kext

There is no macpro3,1 entry I could find, copied macpro4,1 changed to 3,1

then I got my card's id and did the mod

http://tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?p=221365#p221365

I did cinebench before and after an got pretty much the same fps (46-50ish on the quadro 4000)

That being said, 10.7.3 update might have some other benefits at first glance, namely nstat lookup entry failed seems to be gone.

I need to get my bluetooth sorted to really polish this build, I have a feeling I have more to gain there than anything else.

Can't find the damn power converter anywhere though.

@discreet,
--What is "nstat lookup entry failed"? Is that specific to Nvidia cards? I don't get that error.

--Thanks for the tip on the power management mod. I'm tempted to do it, but the thing is, I don't really use sleep, so I don't think I have a need for it right now. Does it improve the performance of the GPU? Or does it limit the performance? It seems to limit the "states" that the GPU can enter, but I don't really know what that is. Also, I have an ATI card, not Nvidia so I'm not sure if that mod is right for my card. Given that I don't use sleep, but that I want to get the most out of my GPU, what do you recommend?

--What is "nstat lookup entry failed"? Is that specific to Nvidia cards? I don't get that error.

Just a network message that comes up, pretty comman even in real macs... Just annoying thats all.... almost cosmetic.

If you don;t use sleep (can't live without it personnally) the mods aren;t of much use.

Don't think you get anything extra out of it except that the gpu doesn't get stuck in a power saving mode.

hackintoshes undeniably need tweaking, someone out there has to come up with a pref pane or an app to help with all the damn edits we have to do to get things to work right.

I noticed that a lot of us things seem to run ok, but in reality, you don't know how much you can gain by tweaking some things if you've got time and a real OCD bent :lol:

be it networking, graphics, or power....

things to keep in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back