Contribute
Register

GA-Z68XP-UD3P owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the best priced module i could find that included the logic board connector. $6 USD
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Powerbook ... 3f10d677c7

I was looking around and it really doesn't matter where they come from all the modules seem to be Bluetooth 2.0 whether its from powerbook or mackbook pro. The newer specification 2.1 seems to all be airport/bluetooth combo cards that are not compatible.

The above module does not come with an antenna, but I figure I wont need the antenna because my mini pci-e to pci-e adapter for my airport has 3 antennae and the airport only uses two of them. This way I am forced to mount in internally, but that's not such a big deal for me. It is probably the better way to go. The only downside to this is i cant use a USB hub, something i have spares of for the voltage regulation. However, less clutter is always nice.

@titsmgee

awesome.

Have a question for you though.

Is the antenna mandatory? Should I get one with the antenna included? Heard we should be getting BT boards from intel macs, not g4-g5's

Do you reckon I could get the dongle you linked to, splice some wires like the IR and connect it to internal USB? Or do we need to put the red and black wires in a voltage changer?

I'm gonna pull the trigger asap. This project isn't really expensive. More gain than cost for sure :headbang:

I had read the same thing about the PPC vs Intel, the only thing that makes me feel differently is that they both use the part number (820-1829-A). If its truly the same part does it really matter where it comes off from? No.
So i guess the question is it really the same part?

That being said the Intel modules are not that much more money, so might not be worth it to find out.

The voltage from USB is 5V and needs to be brought to 3.3 V. This could either be done with that converter or with a USB hub. For an external solution might be easier to use hub like here http://tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=14836. For an internal solution i think the converter might be better.

I would say that an antenna is necessary. But you can for sure find an aftermarket one that will do the same job. Just needs to have a pigtail connection.

@Neil79 : So the bios update is solid? Not sure I understood your post right man ;)

@tits :

Ok, you seem to have a good idea about this... Did you build one already?

There's a bunch of them on ebay indeed. Some have antennas, some have cables included.

What I want to know is do I need to buy one with the cable absolutely. Would I have this cable in my geek closet from past motherboards/hacks... hmmm...

Also, what's up with the 5v to 3.3v DC converter, the link to ebay is obviously ended... need to find a new source

The IR hack I did was with tape and that was pretty easy, I don't have as much time to hack as I used to so I'd like to keep this as simple as possible. Newborns do that to you know :thumbup:

I don't know if my dad has managed to pick up my SSD from the Post Office depot today, but if he has I can get installing OS X! I'm assuming you guys used the DSDT from here when using MultiBeast? Any other options I should be sure to tick/not tick? I wasn't entirely sure I did it as well as I could have done last time, and that was Snow Leopard too.

Regarding Bluetooth etc., I'm going to be build a "real" Airport card just as soon as my parts arrive from the US and China. Went with an Apple branded BCM94322MC because that seemed the best option for compatibility and for getting a solid adapter. I'd make a Bluetooth adapter too, but the last time I actually used Bluetooth was like 2 years ago. :p

@discrete
I have not built one of these yet, just spent quite a bit of time researching. I came to the conclusion that I would need to get one with the motherboard header because my soldering skills are not good enough to solder the USB wires to the module itself. I would think its unlikely you would have that wire unless from a previous build unless you also had the module as well. Apple logic board connections are usually proprietary.

The link for the voltage converter is not dead, the url was made improperly:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-DC-Converter ... 322wt_1242

It think that this is a very similar process as making the IR reviver except you need to include the voltage regulator.

This is my parts list:
Bluetooth Module with motherboard header ~$9
voltage converter $6
antenna with pigtail connection (this is part of my airport setup)
USB motherboard header (i know the back panel is useless, but look at the price) -$2.50
I think that's it. $18 is not bad

Issues with Steam come up every now and then on this board. So, I'm just writing a quick post that Steam is working perfectly in Lion on my setup. And yes, we should get a huge game going against rival MB owners. :headbang:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back