Contribute
Register

GA-Z68XP-UD3P owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
eighteesix said:
New issue. I ran some stress testing and I'm running around 91-98 C temp for all 4 cores. using the i7-2600K with standard heatsink, no overclocking. any ideas why?
Your CPU should be cutting off at around that point - I think the thermal cut-off is around 95C!

What is the Vcore set to in the BIOS? Also, what is the Vcore reading at in the BIOS under "PC Health Status"?

What's your case airflow like? What case do you have?

im using the corsair 600T. two 200mm fans, single 120mm in back. the processor idles around 35 C so i know its keeping things fairly cool. the processor is just getting too damn hot on its own.

my plan is to install a corsair h60 water cooler, i was just getting some base pre-h60 temps. and this blew my socks off using prime 95 64-bit.

i have made no overclocking changes in the bios, so the vcore setting will be standard, whatever that is. and i dont have access to that machine at the moment so i cant tell her what the vcore reading is.

eighteesix said:
im using the corsair 600T. two 200mm fans, single 120mm in back. the processor idles around 35 C so i know its keeping things fairly cool. the processor is just getting too damn hot on its own.

my plan is to install a corsair h60 water cooler, i was just getting some base pre-h60 temps. and this blew my socks off using prime 95 64-bit.

i have made no overclocking changes in the bios, so the vcore setting will be standard, whatever that is. and i dont have access to that machine at the moment so i cant tell her what the vcore reading is.
Hm, that's odd. Only thing I can think of is that either the fans are oriented some funny way (like they're all bringing air into the case and there's nowhere for the hot air to go) or that the cooler needs reseating.

does the seating really make a big difference? also, if the fans really were the issue, would it take some time for the temp to reach 95 C rather than within about 5 seconds? and wouldnt the system not idle at 35 C if the fans were to blame? either way, i hope to resolve the issue with this H60 cooler... still, this is strange.

eighteesix said:
does the seating really make a big difference? also, if the fans really were the issue, would it take some time for the temp to reach 95 C rather than within about 5 seconds? and wouldnt the system not idle at 35 C if the fans were to blame? either way, i hope to resolve the issue with this H60 cooler... still, this is strange.
The seating can make a big difference if there's something badly wrong with it, for instance if one of the pins (the stock cooler does use push-pins, right?) isn't in place properly.

And yes, you're right about the fans, I just wanted to rule it out.

As for idle temperatures, they're a really bad measure to be honest, so I usually just completely ignore them. Load temperatures are what you need to look at, and yours are dangerously high.

ok thanks for the info. im going to try to reseat my heatsink. if that doesnt fix the issue, i have no choice really but to just move ahead with the H60 installation anyways. hopefully i straighten things out before hand. is there any way the processor could be damaged or anything wrong with it, where id need to make a return?

eighteesix said:
ok thanks for the info. im going to try to reseat my heatsink. if that doesnt fix the issue, i have no choice really but to just move ahead with the H60 installation anyways. hopefully i straighten things out before hand. is there any way the processor could be damaged or anything wrong with it, where id need to make a return?
I guess it's possible, although I can't remember ever hearing about it. I would be more likely to think that's true if one core was a lot hotter than all the others (20C+) but that could also be to do with the heatsink mounting.

Also, what are you using to monitor temperatures? The most used program for Sandy Bridge is RealTemp 3.67, I think it's meant to be the most accurate.

realtemp 3.69.1.

all the cores are relatively close in temp. all very high under load. ill report back this evening with after reseating. someone had mentioned that thermal paste could be an issue. im using the standard heatsink that has the thermal paste pre-applied. cant imagine that would be an issue.

eighteesix said:
realtemp 3.69.1.

all the cores are relatively close in temp. all very high under load. ill report back this evening with after reseating. someone had mentioned that thermal paste could be an issue. im using the standard heatsink that has the thermal paste pre-applied. cant imagine that would be an issue.
Okay then, it's definitely either an issue with the chip itself or somewhere on the CPU cooler. But yeah, something must be wrong, because the stock cooler is designed specifically for the CPU, there's no way things should be exceeding the thermal limit at stock speeds with the stock cooler.

ok well that helps. ill reconfig the seating tonight and report back. i think i only remember hearing 3 clicks rather than 4. but i pressed down so hard... back at it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back