Contribute
Register

GA-EP45-UD3P v1.6 (sound issue)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the help. I learned a bit more about this, so I appreciate it greatly. After my post last night, I figured you would be asleep, so I tested another theory. Unfamiliar with Clover since I had been using Chameleon up until now, I did not know where in the installation process to put the DSDT.

So, since there was only a fresh install anyway, I reinstalled it, this time with the DSDT.aml on the USB installation medium in /EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched. It is technically the wrong DSDT as I have a GA-EP45-UD3P but the only DSDT I could find was a GA-EP45-UD3R. But I saw a post back with Yosemite that said it worked and the only difference between the boards seems to be an extra x16 PCIx slot on the UD3P. I also incorrectly applied the 3-port 5.1 patch when I shouldn't have, once it was in there, it would not come back out. One of those two did the trick.

I now have sound. =)

I'm going to keep testing. So far, the only thing I've noticed is that I have to unplug and replug the keyboard on boot, but that's not a big issue for me.

Thanks for the help with the sound, you taught me quite a bit!

I'll keep looking for the USB keyboard issue, but it's on my low priority list.

Thanks for the help. I learned a bit more about this, so I appreciate it greatly. After my post last night, I figured you would be asleep, so I tested another theory. Unfamiliar with Clover since I had been using Chameleon up until now, I did not know where in the installation process to put the DSDT.

So, since there was only a fresh install anyway, I reinstalled it, this time with the DSDT.aml on the USB installation medium in /EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched. It is technically the wrong DSDT as I have a GA-EP45-UD3P but the only DSDT I could find was a GA-EP45-UD3R. But I saw a post back with Yosemite that said it worked and the only difference between the boards seems to be an extra x16 PCIx slot on the UD3P. I also incorrectly applied the 3-port 5.1 patch when I shouldn't have, once it was in there, it would not come back out. One of those two did the trick.

I now have sound. =)

I'm going to keep testing. So far, the only thing I've noticed is that I have to unplug and replug the keyboard on boot, but that's not a big issue for me.

Thanks for the help with the sound, you taught me quite a bit!

I'll keep looking for the USB keyboard issue, but it's on my low priority list.

I highly wouldn't recommend using a DSDT from another motherboard because of the BIOS also hardware can be different. But a DSDT is BIOS pacific.

I know it's not ideal. But after a year or two of trying to make a working one of my own and dealing with crippled Mac's, the one for the GA-EP45-UD3R is the only one that worked. Outside of the extra x16 PCIx slot, the boards seem to be identical.

Here's the post that got me back up to a functional OS: http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-desktop-guides/153198-success-ga-ep45-ud3p-yosemite-build.html

It's the only reason I've been able to keep up.

Snow Leopard worked like a charm out of the box, so to speak. Unfortunately, i am unable to remain behind as certain programs (most notably World of Warcraft) stops supporting older versions of Mac OS X with each expansion pack. So I'm forced to find a way upgrade the OS or to buy new hardware pretty often, which isn't a choice.

I have tried countless times to extract and patch my own DSDT for my specific board, but every time I did, I got worse issues. Until that post about the UD3R, I had to work with a crippled OS, no sound ever, no network for the longest time until I found a wireless NIC that OS X recognized. Since finding that UD3R post though and trying it, I've had a functional Mac with Yosemite, this being the first hiccup since then. Lion, ML and Mavericks were crippled, as was Yosemite until I found the above post.

I would, however, love to get a genuine DSDT for my exact board, but while I'm a very smart guy usually, correctly extracting and patching a DSDT myself has eluded me (as well as leaving me raging and wanting to throw the machine out of a window... lol). I've tried the simple methods, to patching the Q6600 CPU into it, to patching everything into it, to nothing. At best I would get no better than no DSDT with a crippled OS, and at worst, I'd get kernel panics and inability to boot.

I know it's not ideal, but it is working. Yosemite ran perfectly. El Capitan seems to be fine now as well, since I reinstalled it with the DSDT on the installer USB drive. The only issue I've seen so far is the keyboard. I haven't tried the sleep function yet, but this machine tends to be used 24/7.

Just wanted to say thank you. It was your questions that led me to the possible fix that turned out to work. So thanks =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back