Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello everybody,

A couple of weeks ago I had the change to by a Powermac G5 late 2005 and a Mac Pro from 2006 for €120 (about $160).
I thought this was a very good price and bought both. The G5 has a bad PSU but the Mac Pro still works but runs very hot (CPU around 90°C).
I also have a standard ATX case with a Hackintosh build inside that I now want to mod inside one of the cases.

It'll be my first real casemod so I would like some suggestions from you guys.
My first question is which one of the two is the most easy case to mod?

My expectations are:
-I really want to use the original cooling if that is possible. Including the thermal zones system.
-I want the front IO (USB, FW, Headphones) connected to the mobo.
-From the outside I want a case that looks as stock as possible.
-If I use the Mac Pro I want to use the original drive sleds. Is that possible?

Can you guys give me some suggestions as to which one to use and why?
I already searched the forum but couldn't find a decent comparison of both cases.

Thanks

The G5 is much easier to mod, and if you can fix and sell the mac pro you may be able to use the money to pay for some new hardware. I would try removing the Mac Pro's heatsink and thermal compound, clean any dust out of the heatsink and reapply new compound. Also be sure that all of the fans are working. The components for the mac pro may also be worth more individually if you go that route so you may want to sell them but hold on to the case if you plan on trying a more challenging build down the road.

The G5 is much easier to mod, and if you can fix and sell the mac pro you may be able to use the money to pay for some new hardware. I would try removing the Mac Pro's heatsink and thermal compound, clean any dust out of the heatsink and reapply new compound. Also be sure that all of the fans are working. The components for the mac pro may also be worth more individually if you go that route so you may want to sell them but hold on to the case if you plan on trying a more challenging build down the road.

I agree, High CPU temps usually indicate that the thermal compound had dried out, or the CPU Heatsink itself is clogged up with dust/dirt (or even pet hair depending on the environment).

I'd go with modding the G5 and attempt to fix the mac pro to either sell, or keep (or give to me!!! LOL)

either way that's a good find, and I'm envious as can be. :sick:

In terms of a G5 conversion; The late 2005 G5 is considered slightly harder, mainly because of the front panel conversion is not as easy. But having said that there are also advantages, the inner acrylic cover only has a single PCI airflow depression, which gives more space in the CPU compartment.

Since you are mounting an ATX motherboard, you are going to have to make a choice to extend the MB up (into HDD area), or down (into PSU). IMHO you are probably best to extend the motherboard up, loosing the original HDD mounting area. The PSU has critical mounting points for the CPU fans, and covers.

See my G5 build (late 2005) if you want some ideas. Keep us updated as you progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back