Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I recently got my hands on an old G4, and I have been interested in building a hackintosh for some time so I have decided that I'm going to attempt to use the G4 case.

It is model number M8493.

I have no clue about which variants of the G4 are easy to mod and which aren't. I'm hoping someone with experience will let me know what I have ahead of me if I decide to use this and rebuild with an ATX motherboard.

Thanks guys!

Looks like M8493 is a quicksilver model which is the easiest to mod. Get a micro ATX board for it, full ATX is a little too big.

Edit: I think a full ATX will technically fit but most people use micro ATX

Looks like M8493 is a quicksilver model which is the easiest to mod. Get a micro ATX board for it, full ATX is a little too big.

Edit: I think a full ATX will technically fit but most people use micro ATX

Thanks! Yeah, not too familiar with what the different models are, but it's the first one when you google the model number I listed haha!

So with either of those mentioned, would the fit on the motherboard tray that is in there? I have seen a lot of things about people cutting and different things like that.

Also, would there be ANY thing I could keep? Or would everything have to go and be re-built?

You pretty much need to swap everything out, the only parts that you could use with modern PC hardware (with adapters) are the optical drive and the hard drive but they're slow and it's not even worth it. The G4 PSU can't be used, but the mounting holes are the same as an ATX PSU. The power and reset button as well as power LED can be reused with a little soldering and splicing. You'll need to cut or rip off the stock standoffs and epoxy in new ones to mount the motherboard. You can also drill holes in the door and run long screws from the back with some kind of spacer as a standoff, securing the board with nuts.

You'll also need to cut clearances in the plastic "spring" that goes behind the motherboard to allow the door latching mechanism to function properly. I'd recommend spending a few hours looking through other people's builds on here to get ideas of what you'll need to do.

Hi there bmgp.95,

I got my hands on an M8493 model as well, looking to mod it and would love to hear your progress, your experience so far, what you've decided to do. I do not know how to private message but it would be awesome to correspond with you via email.

Attachments

• photo-4.JPG
    photo-4.JPG
    638 KB · Views: 428
  • photo-1.JPG
    photo-1.JPG
    664.8 KB · Views: 356
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back