Contribute
Register

Extremely long delays with a few things, where have I gone wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 3
CPU
i5 6600
Graphics
Geforce GTX 970
Hello guys,

New to Hackintosh, so please bare with me. I've followed a few tutorials both here on the forum and on YouTube with people that have a similar build to me. Speaking of build, this is what I'm working with;
  • Mobo: Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 3
  • CPU: i5-6600
  • GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 970
  • RAM: 16GB (4x 4GB HyperX DDR4)
My installation process was actually extremely smooth, I followed everything in the tutorials with regards to disabling/enabling features within my BIOS - installed to a newly formatted SSD I've just added (a Sandisk Ultra II 240GB if this is useful to know).

I ran through Multibeast, installed the drivers suggested in the tutorials as they have either the same or very similar builds to me.

I've installed the NVIDIA drivers too for 10.12.3 (I found those here), my card is detected when I view "About this Mac" and it's showing the correct VRAM so I believe I'm all good there (both of my monitors are working too, great!)

Now here's what I'm having a few problems with.

I've found quite a few things to be painfully slow, for example the;
  • "About this Mac" can take maybe up to 10 seconds to appear.
  • Booting will just sit on a black screen (I can see my cursor), I just rebooted in the middle of wring this post and I have to write my password blindly and hit return to log in before it changes form this black screen. What is weird though, my secondary monitor appears to work fine, I can see the blurred Sierra background you see normally.
  • Moving files around in Finder is the worst part, just creating a new folder in my documents or something will just wait for about 30 seconds before creating it. When I try to delete something, it takes around a minute to move it to the trash.
  • I just tried to move some kexts off of my external HDD to my desktop - this actually took about 5 minutes to move (before displaying the "time remaining" dialog you usually will see when moving files etc).
  • Restarting / shutting down just doesn't happen for ages, I haven't timed this... up-words of 5 minutes before displaying the "Are you sure you want to restart/shutdown?" dialog
If you've read through this, I thank you for your patience and I would really appreciate your help. What am I missing here?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Also just recorded a quick video showing some of the issues, I think it's sometimes easier to understand whats going on if you can see it for yourself.

Last edited:
I haven't really thought of it much either, but when booting the progress bar moves very slowly for the first maybe 10% then gradually get a little faster. If this is also somehow fixable I'd appreciate any help. :)

Do you have the iGPU enabled?

If enabled try to disable it in the BIOS and set Inject Intel to false in your config.plist

If enabled try to disable it in the BIOS and set Inject Intel to false in your config.plist

Hey, I'll check this out as soon as I'm home this evening. I did another video last night after doing some digging around, when I create a folder on my desktop - it doesn't appear until I refresh launcher, but it is definitely there when I check it out in Terminal. If that doesn't make sense, hopefully this video will.

I have the exact same issue. I don't have the intel GPU enabled and am also using a Gigabyte board but with a 980 TI instead.
It looks to me like tasks are waiting on animations which don't occur or take forever at least. Otherwise the machine is fast so it does not appear to be a CPU bound problem.

The other way this problem manifests itself is typing characters into the Terminal application where they take ages to appear, yet typing text into dialog boxes etc is fine.

Hey I've also got iGPU disabled :/

I have the exact same issue. I don't have the intel GPU enabled and am also using a Gigabyte board but with a 980 TI instead.
It looks to me like tasks are waiting on animations which don't occur or take forever at least. Otherwise the machine is fast so it does not appear to be a CPU bound problem.

The other way this problem manifests itself is typing characters into the Terminal application where they take ages to appear, yet typing text into dialog boxes etc is fine.

Did you by any chance get any further? Hopefully you have! :)

Hey I've also got iGPU disabled :/

Did you by any chance get any further? Hopefully you have! :)

Well yes and no .... I thought the problem was something to do the fact that my GPU is overclocked at the factory from a standard 980 Ti. My card has 3 x BIOS EEPROMS which means I could flick a switch and **** with one of them (If I brick the card I can boot with another and flick the switch whilst running to restore the broken one). I tried putting on the BIOS of a different model card clocked at 1000Mhz and it just bricked things so I restored everything an rebooted.

The problem went away. However I'm convinced also that on one boot on the night I originally built the hack that all was OK too, and subsequent reboots introduced the problem.

I think my pissing about may have only temporarily fixed the issue. I will reboot again and see. Perhaps changing some ID (like the subsystem ID of the card or god knows what might help)

- Update -
Have rebooted 3 times now, once from a full powerdown and things are OK. Note the delay with the bar moving halfway under the apple logo on boot has also gone, so it appears the 2 are related. I'm not all that convinced that my pissing about with the GPU did anything, I think it may be due to me plugging things into different USB ports after I moved the PC out from under my desk.

-Further Update-
The issue was for sure something to do with USB. Now using the Mac more I can see other things have started working correctly such as. The scroll wheel of my mouse in Finder (it worked in Chrome before), the CapsLock key of my keyboard now switches on and off whereas before I'd have to hold it down until it would light.

Other stuff I did was ensure the BIOS settings were exactly as shown in this post https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...0k-skylake-gigabyte-gtx-970-imac-14-2.206173/

I did also apply the IOAPC fix here https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/10-11-0-10-11-3-skylake-starter-guide.179221/

For completeness I did also change mouse and upgrade the firmware in my keyboard.

Though I was convinced yesterday that these did not do anything.

I'd try simple things first like changing over which USB ports things are plugged into and keep trying until the boot is quick without that delay.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back