Contribute
Register

Ersterhernds iMac G5 (iSight 17) Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Build Log 17 -- LCD Fitment and Close-up

The moment of truth with this project had arrived. Would it all fit back together to become an iMac?

I had continually tested the LCD fitment throughout the project, just to ensure there was no offending hardware that would get in the way at the end. That said, its never over until its over, and I hadn't actually buttoned everything up tight at any point so far.

The iMac with LCD Cables attached to the panel, ready for final closing up. I managed to stick fairly close to my original hardware layout map.

YES! It all fit back together and nothing shorted out when I started it up! :)
Looks like careful planning paid off.

Ersterhernd
WOW. Sorry for late reply, but I have been concentrating on my own work, check back after a few days and you have totally finished. As always excellent attention to detail and perfect write-up.

All that planning, (and LCD suffering) paid off ;)

How do you compare/contrast the G4 verse G5 mod experience ? What are the challenges unique to each ? And what key things did you learn about G5 that you can pass on.

Kiwi

The iMac G5 just threw me it's first curve-ball. Fortunately, its an issue that I have seen before and kind of expected with this one. The Startech minidisplayport to DVI converter is causing rare but random green flickering screen pixels on the LCD. Only on some webpages and apps, but imperfections nonetheless. I tested this converter with my last iMac G4 project, and it exhibited the same bad behaviour. I wanted to at least try it in this G5 build, but see now that it must be changed out.

Whether its the adapter or the use of minidisplayport I'm not sure, I can't be certain of the exact cause.

I've plugged in a temporary HDMI connection using various adapting cables that I have here, and after 2 hours of testing, the screen image is perfect.

I've ordered a proper HDMI to DVI converter, it'll be installed later today. I'll post pics. I can say for certain though that using anything other than HDMI for these conversions is probably not a good idea. HDMI is highly compatible with TMDS as proven in numerous iMac mods done to date.

Hopefully no more issues going forward. Only time will tell.

Ersterhernd

Ersterhernd,
Congratulations, well done! :thumbup:

I have some NUC DC3217BY related questions:
-does sleep work?
-why did you connect the display to a thunderbolt adapter instead of the native HDMI port?
-did you ever try a thunderbolt ethernet adapter with this NUC?

MacTester

Edit: Oops, I was later ;-)

WOW. Sorry for late reply, but I have been concentrating on my own work, check back after a few days and you have totally finished. As always excellent attention to detail and perfect write-up.

All that planning, (and LCD suffering) paid off ;)

How do you compare/contrast the G4 verse G5 mod experience ? What are the challenges unique to each ? And what key things did you learn about G5 that you can pass on.

Kiwi

Thanks so much for the positive comments, Kiwi. I look forward to reciprocating mine to you at the conclusion of your project. As you can see from my previoius post, issue # 1 has arisen, but looks to be solved with the switch over to HDMI rather than mDP for video.

Regarding the mods G4 vs G5, they are both very challenging, and each presented hurdles to clear that caused some 'head scratching' :think: on more than one occasion. Fortunately, for purposes of modding, they both share a lot of similarities that create more options, such as the G4 video cable connectivity that I implemented into this G5. It worked perfectly as I had hoped.

The iMac G4 mods (especially the 20") were more work, because there's actually two pieces (base and dome) that need to be completely re-purposed. The 20" added the challenge of the 24V inverter and video issues that I ran into the the HD5000 graphics. That was a real bear. In the end, though, I'd have to say its my favourite showpiece of my collection, so was worth the effort it took.

The iMac G5 was just plain FUN to do. Unlike your 20" project, this 17" model didn't require a 24V line to the inverter, so the option remained to use the NUC/PicoPSU power supplies, which I chose to do. I don't see any way that a 24V upconverter (like I used in the 20" G4) would fit into an iMac G5. Your decision to re-use the original G5 PSU was wise, and keeping a spare on hand would be prudent, imo. I liken an iMac G5 to creating your own 'hardware jigsaw puzzle', with the interior empty space of the iMac as your table. Moving parts around to find the best fitment was fun. Piece by piece, a computer slowly appears before your eyes. 'Think Thin' is the motto of the day for the iMac G5. One really nice feature of the G5 over the G4 is the interior speakers. No clutter on the countertop or desktop, just the AC power cord, thats it.

The G5's (locally here anyway) are readily available for sale on Craigslist, many in pristine condition; much more so than the iMac G4's. The Intel versions of the G5 iMacs are LVDS technology though, so avoid those unless you want to face the challenge of a much different video conversion. Perhaps you and I could compare notes and decide which is the better model to choose, iSight camera or none? This one (an iSight model) was a treat to mod, because it sat upright in front of me. Much easier on the neck and back than leaning over a flat tabletop for weeks on end. The front bezel comes off in seconds using a warped credit card and a HDD magnet to pop the inside clips loose from the top of the bezel. Four screws then undo the LCD and you're in.

To anyone considering an iMac project, whether it be the G4 or G5, I'd say that unless you have some experience under your belt with these machines, choose a 17" to cut your teeth on. The relaxed power requirements make it easier, and the final product is still very pleasing to use, even though it doesn't have the graphical robustness of it's bigger 20" brother.

Both machines are gorgeous in my opinion. Modded to current standards, they are more desirable than currently available hardware at the Apple Store.

Regards,

Ersterhernd

Ersterhernd,
Congratulations, well done! :thumbup:

I have some NUC DC3217BY related questions:
-does sleep work?
-why did you connect the display to a thunderbolt adapter instead of the native HDMI port?
-did you ever try a thunderbolt ethernet adapter with this NUC?

MacTester

Edit: Oops, I was later ;-)

Hi MacTester, thanks for the positive comments!

Sleep worked straight away, but an immediate rewake issue caused by the A1181 bluetooth appeared with it. I stripped all the EHC1 code out of the DSDT, and that fixed it. Only limitation is that now I must use the power button to rewake it, the keyboard doesn't do it. Not a big deal, really.

I used the TB port because I already had a 30 dollar mDP to DVI converter sitting here. Figured it was worth a try. Unfortunately, was a bad choice, live 'n learn...

I have not tried a TB ethernet adapter and likely won't. I couldn't get any connectivity to ethernet on the Logic board traces. It's some kind of strange ethernet port in this G5. Wasn't in my plans anyway for this build, as it was intended to be WiFi only to reduce cord clutter on our kitchen counter where this machine is pictured sitting.

Hopefully will have this thing all buttoned up for the last time today after my HDMI to DVI converter arrives this afternoon.

Cheers!

IN-CRE-DI-BLE. My admiration for you, ersterhernd

I think it works now that I've changed the video from the Thunderbolt port (via MiniDisplayport converter) over to a straight HDMI to DVI run. The system is all back together again as shown below. It's been running for hours all closed up, without any graphical inconsistencies whatsoever. I'm thrilled so far!

The MiniDisplayport to DVI converter and 18" DVI cable have been replaced by a single 18" HDMI cable run to a Startech HDMIDVIFM converter. I covered the TMDS wiring with EMI shielding as shown.

IMG_4923.JPG

Testing with the screen installed

IMG_4924.JPG

The system runs graphically sound so far, even closed up

IMG_4926.JPG

Only time and further testing the iMac G5 will prove it worthy of being called a completed job. So far, however, its looking quite promising. My fingers are crossed...

Ersterhernd

IN-CRE-DI-BLE. My admiration for you, ersterhernd

Hi lolorm, thanks for the feedback. The G5 is a terrific machine to tackle. You should give it a go!

Ersterhernd

A brief initial performance overview...

The iMac G5 has been running for about 8 hours now in it's completed form, so far so good. The machine sits at idle (no apps running) around 45 degrees as shown below. Playing fullscreen 1080p YouTube video puts the temps up to around 60 degrees. GeekBench 2 64-bit produces a typical i3 NUC score, nearly identical to my other NUC's. The system is updated to 10.9.2 now. It KP'd on the AICPUPM kext when I did the update, so had to put the patched one in.

f01f.jpg

gepm.png

Speedstepping works best with the MacMini 5,1 system definition in smbios.plist, not sure why, but that's where I'll leave it. I get 8,12,15 and 17x I think, several steps anyway. It'll sit idling at the lower end, usually 792 Mhz.

Sound is perfect. The internal 3W PAM8403 amplifier pushes the iMac speakers just hard enough to be distortion-free at the top end of the volume slider. I leave the slider around 40% in normal use, so the audio is not obtrusively loud. Microphone is perfect, I can talk normally to the machine into the voice search feature of Google Chrome and it picks up my commands without error.

Bluetooth Connectivity is solid, no jerks or skips whatsoever with the Magic Trackpad. Infrared works great, even from 10 or 15 feet away at an off angle, the machine responds to clicks of the IR remote. WiFi is fast, over 11.0 MBps (100 mbps) consistently in network transfers; the small piece of EMI shielding placed shiny-side-out underneath the antennas improved the performance dramatically.

The iMac fans (2 of them) are fixed at a 3.3V reference voltage (grey and black striped wire) for minimal noise. Set to 3.3V direct from the PicoPSU, the larger one at the bottom 'chugs' just a little when it starts, but has never failed to ramp up speed. Any voltage less than 3.3 at startup probably wouldn't work. The iMac G5 isn't as dead quiet as my iMac G4's are, because of the smaller fans at higher rpms. That said, the noise level isn't bothersome, but it is audible. I tested this machine with both fans plugged into a 5V reference supply, and they were noticably louder. The 3.3V setting for a fixed unvariable setup like this is as good as it's going to get, so it appears.

The LCD brightness control slider works absolutely terrific. It's simple, functional and accessible. I have no regret about deciding to implement it this way. The slide adjustment feels smooth and solid to the fingertip touch. I've used this iMac in a bright sun-lit room and at night with all the lights off; at both extremes the LCD can be adjusted to be perfectly viewable and easy on the eyes. The iMac LED in the bottom right of the front face is controlled by PWM to be very dim in normal use, it's barely noticable when looking directly at the LCD, and doesn't detract from the viewing experience at all. I like the 'crispness' of the white circle, Apple did a great job of designing the LED on this model. During sleep, it 'breathes' like it did in the G5, thanks to Picaxe control.

USB port functionality is solid. Devices are picked up by OSX immediately upon being plugged in. Transfer rates are typical of USB 2.0 ports, with reads being faster than the writes to USB sticks. The iSight camera works great, and combined with the internal mic functionality, Skyping is a pleasure on this computer.

The iMac is considerably lighter than before, it's very easy to grab and pick up to move around. I like the portability of it, which was perhaps the main reason I decided to build it in the first place.

Overall, the system feels snappy, its quiet, aesthetically pleasing to look at and it's pretty much fully functional. It's as good or better than it was as a G5, especially because of its ability to run current software. The G5 would barely play 360p YouTube vids, but this one chews up 1080p like it owns it.

I'm very satisfied. If it continues to perform like this without issue (which I think it will) then I'll call it a success. I'll give it a few days of operation for that, though, just to be sure.

Ersterhernd

After two days of 24/7 use, this iMac G5 hasn't skipped a beat. What a pleasure to use! I've always liked the desktop appeal of the old white polycarbonate iMac's, even moreso than the newer stuff in recent years. They just look plain, simple and clean. I'm tempted to change the status of the build to 'success', but will give it another day or two just to be certain.

EDIT: This computer is stable after 5 days of use, its now achieved true 'Success' status in my opinion... ;)

Here's the completed iMac G5 sitting beside its older 17" G4 brother. They were produced by Apple about three years apart. Both are running Intel NUC i3's inside, one DC3217IYE and the other a DC3217BY.

IMG_4929.JPG

IMG_4930.JPG

I would recommend either build as a potential project for anyone interested. Each was quite different, but I would say very close to the same level of difficulty overall.

Ersterhernd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back