Contribute
Register

Ersterhernds iMac G5 (iSight 17) Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Ersterhernd,

Astonished by your technical skills and craftsmanship...
Beautiful work and a nice/difficult way of keeping the Apple dream alive!
Be proud of yourself!:thumbup:

I think it works now that I've changed the video from the Thunderbolt port (via MiniDisplayport converter) over to a straight HDMI to DVI run. The system is all back together again as shown below. It's been running for hours all closed up, without any graphical inconsistencies whatsoever. I'm thrilled so far!

The MiniDisplayport to DVI converter and 18" DVI cable have been replaced by a single 18" HDMI cable run to a Startech HDMIDVIFM converter. I covered the TMDS wiring with EMI shielding as shown.

IMG_4923.JPG

Testing with the screen installed

IMG_4924.JPG

The system runs graphically sound so far, even closed up

IMG_4926.JPG

Only time and further testing the iMac G5 will prove it worthy of being called a completed job. So far, however, its looking quite promising. My fingers are crossed...

Ersterhernd

I have a 24" white iMac. Can you help rebuild to IntelMac?.

Hi Football,

The Intel iMacs use LVDS technology (same as in most laptops) in their LCD screen. This would require an aftermarket DVI to LVDS converter which are available but prohibitively expensive and not fully guaranteed to work. Only the older G5 iMacs use a TMDS pinout on their LCD's, which has been proven to work great when wired to DVI or more recently directly to HDMI (See Kiwi's G5 build).

Unless you're prepared to venture into uncharted territory with a large 24" Intel iMac mod, I would leave it as is. There is no guarantee of success with any mod, but this one would present challenges that I'm not sure you could overcome.

Just my 2 cents of course, I've never actually had one apart; only an Intel 20", which I'm assuming is very similar in its componentry.

Cheers!

Ersterhernd

Dear Ersterhernd,

Astonished by your technical skills and craftsmanship...
Beautiful work and a nice/difficult way of keeping the Apple dream alive!
Be proud of yourself!:thumbup:

Thx for the positive feedback, Zoltan! I'm not exceptionally technically inclined like some of the other forum members are here, and there's never a dumb question to be asked of them.

This little G5 is a gem to use, the older Apple equipment is terrific. I really enjoy it.

Cheers!

incredible build(s)...a 10+
i have done g4 and g5 desktops,but to fit it all in that space is astonishing....:thumbup:

Thx dddirtman, the iMac G5 was a big surprise in how fun it actually turned out to be. I'd highly recommend this build to anyone who's done a hack before.

Cheers!

Thx Mykuls, it was a very fun project to do. Highly recommended to anyone, and the result is a pleasure to use as an everyday machine. Ours is constantly turned on in the kitchen.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back